Old 31-05-2007, 04:14 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default Home Gardening Becomes Even More Imperative

On Wed, 30 May 2007 14:51:21 GMT, "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan"
wrote:

Charlie was forced to post this in: rec.gardens

http://www.commondreams.org/archive/2007/05/27/1485/

Excerpt from article:

"Almost a quarter of this year’s US corn crop is expected to be turned into
fuel. Drought in Australia has added to the food prices spike, which is
feeding through to world inflation."

I swear to Gawd I'd be much happier if we went back to the horse and buggy
days.

Michael

I could not agree more. I bet those were much easier times to live.
Now we have cereal aisles with ten thousand different cereals. When I
was a kid there was Kellogs Frosted Flakes, Fruit Loops, Shredded
Wheat and Farina! Well, more than that, but certainly not an aisle
full of postured, product placement. It's mind boggling.
Old 31-05-2007, 12:16 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" wrote in
.121:

FragileWarrior was forced to post
this in: rec.gardens
I just got back from riding Jonsey. He hates the indoor ring but
it's just too wet to jump outside. Same old routine. He dances
around and plops a few big dollops and then tries to throw me. He is
definitely an outside boy. He has yet to emit any methane while I'm
gooming him but I'm not about to give him any ideas.

Michael

D'argo has always saved his best... er... ERUPTIONS... for the
farriers. He does it to be funny, I swear. It's his own personal
commentary on things. And he always has a look on his face like the
little boy who farts loudly in church -- totally embarrased but
obviously he couldn't control it, Mom. Really, it was just an
accident.

Jonsey was such a quiet, sweet fellow when I first started riding him.
Now he's full of the devil. Seems like right after I made the
decision to buy him, the spoiled child routine started. I suppose he
somehow senses he has a permanent, good family and wants the spoils
he's missed. He never looks embarrased when he does something
ungentlemanly like. He looks defiant Somehow I've got to get him
to realize he no longer has to race for his oats. Once he settles
down he can sail over fences like no other horse I've ever had but if
I don't warm him up first I find myself hurtling over fences at what
seems like 100mph.

Michael

I hope you're wearing a helmet, my friend.
Old 31-05-2007, 04:17 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Wed, 30 May 2007 20:52:51 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

In article
,
Bill Rose wrote:

Bush SAYS he is pushing
for fuel cells.

- Bill

I'll believe that when I see it...
I think he's just playing lip service if you know what I mean.

Hmmmm.....thought that was the the Arkansawyer that played that.

Huh?????
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 31-05-2007, 06:00 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article , Charlie wrote:

On Wed, 30 May 2007 20:52:51 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

In article
,
Bill Rose wrote:

Bush SAYS he is pushing
for fuel cells.

- Bill

I'll believe that when I see it...
I think he's just playing lip service if you know what I mean.

Hmmmm.....thought that was the the Arkansawyer that played that.

Huh?????
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch" -- Jack
Nicholson

Hi Om,

I believe charlie was referencing (jokingly) the bill & monica scandel, uh,
show! charlie can correct me if i'm wrong though.......

Rae

Old 31-05-2007, 06:05 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Rachael Simpson" wrote:

I'll believe that when I see it...
I think he's just playing lip service if you know what I mean.

Hmmmm.....thought that was the the Arkansawyer that played that.

Huh?????

Hi Om,

I believe charlie was referencing (jokingly) the bill & monica scandel, uh,
show! charlie can correct me if i'm wrong though.......

Rae

Makes sense now, sorry! ;-)

Just color that a "duh" moment for me! lol
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 31-05-2007, 08:02 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" wrote in
6.121:

I hope you're wearing a helmet, my friend.

Always. And no jewelry either.

Michael

The first time I popped a helmet I had to return it for a new one and write
a story about what had happened so they could study it. I settled for
drawing a cartoon of Evil D'argo (complete with tiny, devil, horse-horns)
laughing maniacally as he sucked in his gut and spun his saddle -- and me
-- off on steep slope. I think I may even have had bounce lines to show my
trajectory down the hillside.
Old 31-05-2007, 09:58 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

the problem is, all carbon based fuels release CO2 when burned.

what we need is to break the hydrogen oxygen bond in water and then burn the hydrogen
back to water. plants do this, they use solar energy to knock the hydrogen off the
water, use the energy of the electrons to form a covalent bond (organic) that stores
the energy (using CO2). That is really clean energy.

Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan
Old 31-05-2007, 11:36 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
FragileWarrior wrote:

Charlie wrote in :

On Wed, 30 May 2007 16:32:10 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior
wrote:

"Rachael Simpson" wrote in
:

AMEN!!!!

Of course, that would work for me cause we already have the wagon
and horses.........

In our town horses are still considered transportation. I kid you
not.

Must be those of Swiss-German descent?

Hell no. These are Indiana born and raised for generations and
generations.

Several groups have come to our area as well. It's like really kinda
weird when met, like a step back in time.

Nope. It's just a small town in Indiana. I'm in the heart of town.
There's the post office, town hall, our only restaurant and four grain
silos. Oh, yeah, and the tornado siren. There are no stop signs/lights
on Main Street. I keep my horses in the heart of town and I can ride
them right to the door of the post office if I feel like it.

If you run across anyone named "Flora" in Indiana, they're
probably kin to me. My g.g. Uncle John Flora founded the
town of Flora, Indiana. My family back there is Mennonite.
(And Swiss-German.)

Grandpa Flora grew up horse farming back there. I come
by these tendencies to garden, farm and raise livestock
honestly : )

Jan in Alaska

--
Bedouin proverb: If you have no troubles, buy a goat.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:15 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Jan Flora wrote in
:

In article ,
FragileWarrior wrote:

Charlie wrote in :

On Wed, 30 May 2007 16:32:10 +0000 (UTC), FragileWarrior
wrote:

"Rachael Simpson" wrote in
:

[...]

Cool. I'm not from Indiana and have only been here five year so I'll
have to look up where that is.

Grandpa Flora grew up horse farming back there. I come
by these tendencies to garden, farm and raise livestock
honestly : )

Not bad heritage, is it? I'm a farmer at heart but grew up in a city. I
keep trying to talk farmers into letting me run their heavy equipment
under the guise of "helping them" but, really, I just want to be a farmer
driving a big ol' John Deere.
Old 01-06-2007, 03:42 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
wrote:

the problem is, all carbon based fuels release CO2 when burned.

what we need is to break the hydrogen oxygen bond in water and then burn the
hydrogen
back to water. plants do this, they use solar energy to knock the hydrogen
off the
water, use the energy of the electrons to form a covalent bond (organic) that
stores
the energy (using CO2). That is really clean energy.

Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
sign up:
http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?...s=Group+lookup
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Not to put too fine a point on it, but fossil fuel has been out of the
carbon cycle for a long time and is being reintroduced. Wood burned from
last year though is just going around and around in the carbon cycle. We
need to stop burning fossil fuel.

- Bill
Coloribus gustibus non disputatum

Old 01-06-2007, 11:33 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

On 5/31/07 3:02 PM, in article ,
"FragileWarrior" wrote:

"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" wrote in
6.121:

I hope you're wearing a helmet, my friend.

Always. And no jewelry either.

Michael

The first time I popped a helmet I had to return it for a new one and write
a story about what had happened so they could study it. I settled for
drawing a cartoon of Evil D'argo (complete with tiny, devil, horse-horns)
laughing maniacally as he sucked in his gut and spun his saddle -- and me
-- off on steep slope. I think I may even have had bounce lines to show my
trajectory down the hillside.

I'd love to see a copy of it!

Old 01-06-2007, 11:39 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Cheryl Isaak wrote in
:

On 5/31/07 3:02 PM, in article
, "FragileWarrior"
wrote:

"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" wrote in
6.121:

I hope you're wearing a helmet, my friend.

Always. And no jewelry either.

Michael

The first time I popped a helmet I had to return it for a new one and
write a story about what had happened so they could study it. I
settled for drawing a cartoon of Evil D'argo (complete with tiny,
devil, horse-horns) laughing maniacally as he sucked in his gut and
spun his saddle -- and me -- off on steep slope. I think I may even
have had bounce lines to show my trajectory down the hillside.

I'd love to see a copy of it!

Me, too. I didn't keep one.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:35 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

On 6/1/07 6:39 AM, in article ,
"FragileWarrior" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote in
:

On 5/31/07 3:02 PM, in article
, "FragileWarrior"
wrote:

"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" wrote in
6.121:

I hope you're wearing a helmet, my friend.

Always. And no jewelry either.

Michael

The first time I popped a helmet I had to return it for a new one and
write a story about what had happened so they could study it. I
settled for drawing a cartoon of Evil D'argo (complete with tiny,
devil, horse-horns) laughing maniacally as he sucked in his gut and
spun his saddle -- and me -- off on steep slope. I think I may even
have had bounce lines to show my trajectory down the hillside.

I'd love to see a copy of it!

Me, too. I didn't keep one.

What did they say when you sent the cartoon in? It does sound funny.