Old 01-06-2007, 01:46 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default Home Gardening Becomes Even More Imperative

On 6/1/07 7:56 AM, in article ,
"FragileWarrior" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote in news:C2857CAE.69919%
:

On 6/1/07 6:39 AM, in article f3ot1c$cal$8

@blackhelicopter.databasix.com,
"FragileWarrior" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote in
:

On 5/31/07 3:02 PM, in article
, "FragileWarrior"
wrote:

"Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" wrote in
6.121:

I hope you're wearing a helmet, my friend.

Always. And no jewelry either.

Michael

The first time I popped a helmet I had to return it for a new one

and
write a story about what had happened so they could study it. I
settled for drawing a cartoon of Evil D'argo (complete with tiny,
devil, horse-horns) laughing maniacally as he sucked in his gut and
spun his saddle -- and me -- off on steep slope. I think I may even
have had bounce lines to show my trajectory down the hillside.

I'd love to see a copy of it!

Me, too. I didn't keep one.

What did they say when you sent the cartoon in? It does sound funny.

I thought it might make their day but they never acknowledged it. Maybe
they wanted more technical info. (Hey, that's all I could remember -- I
fell ON MY HEAD.) They did send me a new helmet but they're supposed to
do that anyway.

I'll bet that someone posted in their cube.

Old 01-06-2007, 02:54 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Bill Rose wrote:

Not to put too fine a point on it, but fossil fuel has been out of the
carbon cycle for a long time and is being reintroduced. Wood burned from
last year though is just going around and around in the carbon cycle. We
need to stop burning fossil fuel.

- Bill
Coloribus gustibus non disputatum

Absofrigginlootly! :-)

And guess what? It'd also drastically improve global air quality...
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 01-06-2007, 03:51 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

the algae and other plants that sucked up all the CO2, died and were buried is what
made the planet climates what they are now. There are already huge prizes being
offered for methods of sequestering CO2, essentially, CO2 scrubbers that remove CO2
from the air (CO2 is soluble in water), form a chemical reaction that removes it from
the water and then inject it back into those empty oil wells or whatever. Limestone
is calcium and magnesium carbonates, so it could also be used to make limestone
bricks to construct houses? problem is acid dissolves limestone.

and do it using non-polluting energy!!! like the sun or wind. Ingrid

Bill Rose wrote:
Not to put too fine a point on it, but fossil fuel has been out of the
carbon cycle for a long time and is being reintroduced. Wood burned from
last year though is just going around and around in the carbon cycle. We
need to stop burning fossil fuel.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

Old 01-06-2007, 04:08 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

I am not in the lab anymore.
up to this point mother nature has been fooling with the light reaction center in
plants that soak up the photon of energy and use it to break water (water is
typically broken by running electricity thru a platinum wire). Chlorophyll is the
best (so far) at doing this, but uses only blue and red light. It is the biotech
people will start fooling with the reaction centers of chloroplasts to stick them
into a synthetic membrane and/or make a better photon grabber. Maybe layer several
different reaction centers that absorb across the whole spectrum so they are more
efficient.

hook this up with some extremely high efficiency lights over the membranes (light the
flashlights that have a little generator in them) and no need for solar light. maybe
have the choice of cranking it up to get it started, or, a good battery.

Ingrid

Omelet wrote:
So invent the process and make it profitable.
You could be the next multi-billionaire...
It really is not that hard to make Hydrogen.
The trick is getting people to use it as a fuel, make it cost effective,
and SAFE.

In article ,
wrote:
the problem is, all carbon based fuels release CO2 when burned.
what we need is to break the hydrogen oxygen bond in water and then burn the
hydrogen back to water. plants do this, they use solar energy to knock the hydrogen
off the water, use the energy of the electrons to form a covalent bond (organic) that
stores the energy (using CO2). That is really clean energy. Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
Old 01-06-2007, 07:00 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
wrote:

the algae and other plants that sucked up all the CO2, died and were buried
is what
made the planet climates what they are now. There are already huge prizes
being
offered for methods of sequestering CO2, essentially, CO2 scrubbers that
remove CO2
from the air (CO2 is soluble in water), form a chemical reaction that removes
it from
the water and then inject it back into those empty oil wells or whatever.
Limestone
is calcium and magnesium carbonates, so it could also be used to make
limestone
bricks to construct houses? problem is acid dissolves limestone.

and do it using non-polluting energy!!! like the sun or wind. Ingrid

Yeah. You are right. But "bottom line" people will see that this costs
them money. They will be dragged to environmentalism, kicking and
screaming. Countries that don't clean-up will get more energy per pound
(gallon, whatever), which will put us at a disadvantage (so the spin
will go). The biggest bang for our buck that we can get RIGHT NOW is
conservation. The $10,000,000 the the knuckle head at 1600 Pennsylvania
Ave. wants (and sadly, so does Obama) to put into energy savings from
ethanol (which will be grown with petroleum) can be had for $3,000,000
and change by conservation.

The thing with fission power is (besides the massive problem of it's
waste, even in fast breeders) is that workers exposed to radiation pass
their injuries on to the following generations. If a coal miner gets
black lung, the injury dies with him. I know. It's a pretty cold
calculus.

If we could reduce CO2 and wait 30 years, there should be fusion
reactors which will be infinitely safer than coal or fission.

In the meantime conservation, water power (including tidal), wind power
and, photovoltaic could buy us time.

Bill Rose wrote:
Not to put too fine a point on it, but fossil fuel has been out of the
carbon cycle for a long time and is being reintroduced. Wood burned from
last year though is just going around and around in the carbon cycle. We
need to stop burning fossil fuel.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
sign up:
http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?...s=Group+lookup
www.drsolo.com
Zone 5 next to Lake Michigan

- Bill
Old 02-06-2007, 02:46 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

On Fri, 01 Jun 2007 08:52:36 -0500, Omelet
wrote:

So invent the process and make it profitable.
You could be the next multi-billionaire...

I know you may be kidding, but the problem IS money. There is no
reason why gas is costing what it does. Oil tycoons made record
profits the last three years in a row. It's disgusting, along with
the greed and every putrid thing about it, the desire for it, the
attachment to it,etc.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:17 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

So invent the process and make it profitable.
You could be the next multi-billionaire...

I know you may be kidding, but the problem IS money.

Only half-way.
It really IS easy to make Hydrogen.
It's one of the most abundant elements in the universe.

The oil companies have a stranglehold on the economy.
They don't WANT alternative energy and he who has the gold makes the
rules. :-(

There is no
reason why gas is costing what it does. Oil tycoons made record
profits the last three years in a row.

Both true.

It's disgusting, along with
the greed and every putrid thing about it, the desire for it, the
attachment to it,etc.

You are preachin' to the choir. ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 02-06-2007, 03:58 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Ann Ann is offline

Omelet expounded:

You are preachin' to the choir. ;-)

Yep. I think there's lots of us, but the powers-that-be don't want to
hear us (
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Old 02-06-2007, 05:06 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Ann wrote:

Omelet expounded:

You are preachin' to the choir. ;-)

Yep. I think there's lots of us, but the powers-that-be don't want to
hear us (

They would if we could (somehow) quit buying gasoline,
but how many of us can do that?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 02-06-2007, 05:13 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 09:17:39 -0500, Omelet

You are preachin' to the choir. ;-)

I know!
Old 02-06-2007, 05:15 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 10:58:50 -0400, Ann wrote:

Omelet expounded:

You are preachin' to the choir. ;-)

Yep. I think there's lots of us, but the powers-that-be don't want to
hear us (

There are a LOT more of us now than ever before. AT one time, even in
this newsgroup we were the minority. It is wonderful to see
American's finally waking up to the administration full of theft and
lies.
Old 02-06-2007, 07:09 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

wrote:

So invent the process and make it profitable.
You could be the next multi-billionaire...

I know you may be kidding, but the problem IS money.

Only half-way.
It really IS easy to make Hydrogen.
It's one of the most abundant elements in the universe.

The oil companies have a stranglehold on the economy.
They don't WANT alternative energy and he who has the gold makes the
rules. :-(

There is no
reason why gas is costing what it does. Oil tycoons made record
profits the last three years in a row.

Both true.

It's disgusting, along with
the greed and every putrid thing about it, the desire for it, the
attachment to it,etc.

You are preachin' to the choir. ;-)

Two things though; (1) remember the Hindenberg (boom!) and, (2) the
First Law of Thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or
destroyed (beware of little black boxes).

It seems that electric motors fueled by wind, water, Sun (and Earth
bound fusion) and, perhaps conventional, central, power plants where CO2
can be scrubbed from the smoke stack are the answer.

Personally, I don't need to go from 0 mph to 60 mph in 4 sec. So there
may be some adaptations we need to make but I think we can live with
that.

- Bill(y)