Old 13-06-2007, 12:01 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default Home Gardening Becomes Even More Imperative

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 09:08:18 -0700, Billy Rose
wrote:

About as far as you can get from ideal, IMHO. In 30 - 40 years, fusion
reactors should be viable with lots of safe, clean energy. Why mess up
the planet for a 40 year fix, when it creates more problems than it
solves?

A quick question. Is there a possibility of using waste from nuclear
plants as fuel for fusion plants?
Old 13-06-2007, 12:43 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

About as far as you can get from ideal, IMHO. In 30 - 40 years, fusion
reactors should be viable with lots of safe, clean energy. Why mess up
the planet for a 40 year fix, when it creates more problems than it
solves?

A quick question. Is there a possibility of using waste from nuclear
plants as fuel for fusion plants?

No. Fusion uses deuterium (an isotope of hydrogen). Two deuterium under
extremely high pressure and heat to fuse together to become a molecule
of helium. Two deuterium atoms have more mass than a single helium atom
and according to the famous equation, E=m(CxC), the difference in mass
is converted to energy. If the magnetic containment field for a fusion
reactor were to collapse, the reactants would hit the wall of the
containment building, cool, and become harmless. I believe there is some
issue with tritium (another isotope of hydrogen) but it is of a minor
concern when compared to fission reactions.

- Billy
Old 13-06-2007, 02:59 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy Rose wrote:

Two deuterium under
extremely high pressure and heat to fuse together to become a molecule
of helium.

Ahem,
that should have read as, "Two deuterium under extremely high pressure
and heat to fuse together to become an ATOM of helium."

OK, everybody back to sleep.

- Billy
Old 13-06-2007, 03:11 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
"Dan L." wrote:

The only way to have a clean, healthy earth for everyone on this planet,
IS POPULATION REDUCTION. ie: make bombs not babies (ok, ok, forget the
reverse pun of the sixty's vietnam) just stop breeding like humans.

That was punny. :-)

And I agree that overpopulation is a serious problem, but China's answer
was not the one.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 13-06-2007, 03:13 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy Rose wrote:

Presently, wind, photovoltaic, and hydro power (including tides) is too
little and more expensive than fossil fuel (if you don't count the
social impact of global warming i.e. our extinction). Someone must have
forgotten to tell the international consortium that is constructing a
fusion reactor in France that Dave said it couldn't be done. Scrubbing
smoke stacks with water and calcium hydroxide Ca(OH)2 gives you calcium
carbonate and water. Chalk, Dave, chalk doesn't sound so polluting, does
it?

I vote we try for geothermal.
Why can't we harvest volcanos? :-)

Hydroelectric building dams is not a bad idea either, but there goes the
environmental impact again...

Let's outlaw incandescent lightbulbs while we are at it!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 13-06-2007, 03:15 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

About as far as you can get from ideal, IMHO. In 30 - 40 years, fusion
reactors should be viable with lots of safe, clean energy. Why mess up
the planet for a 40 year fix, when it creates more problems than it
solves?

A quick question. Is there a possibility of using waste from nuclear
plants as fuel for fusion plants?

That stuff supposedly makes great batteries. :-)
Long lasting too.

Or so I've heard...

What is powering the Voyager probes?

They've been transmitting how many years now?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 13-06-2007, 03:16 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy Rose wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Anyone see Spiderman 2?
Do we really want to be creating miniature suns in our atmosphere? :-)

Nevermind... that was fiction and a poor attempt at humor...
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 13-06-2007, 09:10 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

On Tue, 12 Jun 2007 15:57:49 -0400, "Dan L."
wrote:

[...]

Bio-mass -
Agicultural, kiss all forest good-by, not just the rain forest.

[...]

Whoa, podner. Why drag the rain forest into this discussion.
It has enough problems already!

Industrial hemp might be the answer.

My credentials: Your correspondent hasn't smoked a joint since the
60's-that-were-really-the-70's. I have no illusions that growing
hemp would turn everybody on; in fact what you'd have to go through to
get high on industrial hemp doesn't bear examining g.

Doesn't it seem a teeny bit self-serving of candidates and the
un-informed media to keep plugging corn-as-fuel with all the downsides
repeatedly enumerated even in the pop media,*

I'm not just talking about relatively low mileage; what about jacking
up the price for cultures whose basic food comes from corn.

* (not the most serious of which is that I can't find corn oil which
I've used for cooking since forever...)

This non-examination of industrial hemp as a source for automotive
fuel is 1000% based on the enthusiastic propaganda of Big Oil,
pandering to Bush's religious-nut "base", as well as to the general
ignorance of Joe/Jane Beercan, who don't differentiate between
marijuana and its industrial big sister, which has been used since
pre-Biblical times for everything from cloth to oil. It grows on any
kind of ground; requires almost no attention; is self-renewing.;
doesn't drive up the price of a basic food like corn by diverting
part of the crop to the Quixotic search for alternative fuel.

Read up on this. There are many titles out there on the subject (full
disclosu one of which I edited) which paint a dismaying picture of
how Big Oil/Auto and Puritanical racists many decades ago managed to
push through legislation confabulating industrial hemp with marijuana.

Persephone
Old 13-06-2007, 12:37 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Ann Ann is offline

Persephone expounded:

This non-examination of industrial hemp as a source for automotive
fuel is 1000% based on the enthusiastic propaganda of Big Oil,
pandering to Bush's religious-nut "base", as well as to the general
ignorance of Joe/Jane Beercan, who don't differentiate between
marijuana and its industrial big sister, which has been used since
pre-Biblical times for everything from cloth to oil. It grows on any
kind of ground; requires almost no attention; is self-renewing.;
doesn't drive up the price of a basic food like corn by diverting
part of the crop to the Quixotic search for alternative fuel.

Doesn't sound like there's much money it it - therein lies the rub.

We can't have that, now, ya hear? ;-
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts
Old 13-06-2007, 02:37 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article , Persephone
wrote:

Industrial hemp might be the answer.

My credentials: Your correspondent hasn't smoked a joint since the
60's-that-were-really-the-70's. I have no illusions that growing
hemp would turn everybody on; in fact what you'd have to go through to
get high on industrial hemp doesn't bear examining g.

Not many people know that Industrial Hemp is NOT the same thing as
recreational pot. Nowhere near. Anyone that has bothered to do the
research would know that.

It has a million and one uses. 1 acre of IH supposedly creates the same
amount of usable cellulose as 10 acres of forest. It is good for fabric,
paper, fuel and oil, as well as a food source from the seeds.

You can thank Dupont for being one of the major players in getting it
outlawed.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 13-06-2007, 02:38 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Ann wrote:

Persephone expounded:

This non-examination of industrial hemp as a source for automotive
fuel is 1000% based on the enthusiastic propaganda of Big Oil,
pandering to Bush's religious-nut "base", as well as to the general
ignorance of Joe/Jane Beercan, who don't differentiate between
marijuana and its industrial big sister, which has been used since
pre-Biblical times for everything from cloth to oil. It grows on any
kind of ground; requires almost no attention; is self-renewing.;
doesn't drive up the price of a basic food like corn by diverting
part of the crop to the Quixotic search for alternative fuel.

Doesn't sound like there's much money it it - therein lies the rub.

We can't have that, now, ya hear? ;-

snicker Another realist I see. ;-)
Well put.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 13-06-2007, 03:41 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article , Persephone
wrote:

Industrial hemp might be the answer.

My credentials: Your correspondent hasn't smoked a joint since the
60's-that-were-really-the-70's. I have no illusions that growing
hemp would turn everybody on; in fact what you'd have to go through to
get high on industrial hemp doesn't bear examining g.

Not many people know that Industrial Hemp is NOT the same thing as
recreational pot. Nowhere near. Anyone that has bothered to do the
research would know that.

It has a million and one uses. 1 acre of IH supposedly creates the same
amount of usable cellulose as 10 acres of forest. It is good for fabric,
paper, fuel and oil, as well as a food source from the seeds.

You can thank Dupont for being one of the major players in getting it
outlawed.

I remember seeing a TV program that discussed living treasures of
Japan. One woman was revered for her Hemp cloth. Seems not only
durable and comfortable but was beautiful without dyes.

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Old 13-06-2007, 03:51 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article

..net,
William Wagner wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article , Persephone
wrote:

[...]

Forgot to mention another neglected valuable plant. Bamboo.

A neat book!

http://preview.tinyurl.com/ynljd5

Bill

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Old 13-06-2007, 04:07 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

Not many people know that Industrial Hemp is NOT the same thing as
recreational pot. Nowhere near. Anyone that has bothered to do the
research would know that.

I hear that the sin of eating meat on Fridays is comparable to the sin
of adultery. Having tried both, I can't see the comparison;-)

- Billy
Old 13-06-2007, 05:15 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article

..net,
William Wagner wrote:

In article ,

[...]