GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Broccoli (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/159672-broccoli.html)

Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz 06-06-2007 07:02 PM

Broccoli

I have half a dozen broccoli plants. The plants are getting fairly big
but I don't see any signs of head formation. When should I expect to see
the heads start to develop?

I'm in Massachusetts, the plants were transplanted from flats about a
month a go.

Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz 07-06-2007 01:35 AM

Broccoli

On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 16:21:18 -0900, Jan Flora wrote:

In article ,
Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz wrote:

I have half a dozen broccoli plants. The plants are getting fairly big
but I don't see any signs of head formation. When should I expect to
see the heads start to develop?

I'm in Massachusetts, the plants were transplanted from flats about a
month a go.

Did you fertilize them? Or top-dress them with compost yet? You could
try side-dressing with a high N fertilizer and see if they'll do
something...

Jan

I've been using Miracle Grow, I've also spread 10-10-10 around the
garden. The plants are growing like topsy so I don't think the plants are
starved for nutrients, they just aren't producing any broccoli. My
question is if this is normal for this time of year and the broccoli will
come later or if there is something wrong?

Ann 07-06-2007 01:52 AM

Broccoli

Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz expounded:

[...]

Well, the part of the broccoli plant we eat are the flowers, so go
light on the nitrogen. You'll get gorgeous leaves but maybe no
broccoli if you keep up the Miracle Grow!
--
Ann
e-mail address is not checked

Jan Flora 07-06-2007 02:21 AM

Broccoli

In article ,
Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz wrote:

I have half a dozen broccoli plants. The plants are getting fairly big
but I don't see any signs of head formation. When should I expect to see
the heads start to develop?

I'm in Massachusetts, the plants were transplanted from flats about a
month a go.

Did you fertilize them? Or top-dress them with compost yet?
You could try side-dressing with a high N fertilizer and see
if they'll do something...

Jan

--
Bedouin proverb: If you have no troubles, buy a goat.

Omelet 07-06-2007 04:53 AM

Broccoli

In article ,
Jan Flora wrote:

In article ,
Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz wrote:

I have half a dozen broccoli plants. The plants are getting fairly big
but I don't see any signs of head formation. When should I expect to see
the heads start to develop?

I'm in Massachusetts, the plants were transplanted from flats about a
month a go.

Did you fertilize them? Or top-dress them with compost yet?
You could try side-dressing with a high N fertilizer and see
if they'll do something...

Jan

You want blooms.
Wouldn't a bloom fertilizer mix higher in Phosphorous be better than a
higher N mix?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Billy Rose 07-06-2007 06:07 AM

Broccoli

In article ,
Ann wrote:

[...]

I'm just piling on. Forget the nitrogen. You want potassium and
phosphate.
- Bill

Ann 07-06-2007 11:07 AM

Broccoli

Billy Rose expounded:

I'm just piling on. Forget the nitrogen. You want potassium and
phosphate.
- Bill

Piling what on, Miracle Gro? To each his own. I don't use the stuff
at all. And my advice still stands. If you want blooms, lay off the
nitrogen.

Omelet 07-06-2007 12:10 PM

Broccoli

In article ,
Ann wrote:

Billy Rose expounded:

I'm just piling on. Forget the nitrogen. You want potassium and
phosphate.
- Bill

Piling what on, Miracle Gro? To each his own. I don't use the stuff
at all. And my advice still stands. If you want blooms, lay off the
nitrogen.

Agreed.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Billy Rose 07-06-2007 05:34 PM

Broccoli

In article ,
Ann wrote:

Billy Rose expounded:

I'm just piling on. Forget the nitrogen. You want potassium and
phosphate.
- Bill

Piling what on, Miracle Gro? To each his own. I don't use the stuff
at all. And my advice still stands. If you want blooms, lay off the
nitrogen.

Ann, next time we play football, I'd be pleased to demonstrate piling
on. Except for your egregious presumption, I don't see the difference in
our advice.

- Billy

Ann 07-06-2007 10:58 PM

Broccoli

Billy Rose expounded:

In article ,
Ann wrote:

Billy Rose expounded:

I'm just piling on. Forget the nitrogen. You want potassium and
phosphate.
- Bill

Piling what on, Miracle Gro? To each his own. I don't use the stuff
at all. And my advice still stands. If you want blooms, lay off the
nitrogen.

Ann, next time we play football, I'd be pleased to demonstrate piling
on. Except for your egregious presumption, I don't see the difference in
our advice.

See, that's what I get for posting before I've had my morning cuppa. I
misread you and I apologize. But I'll pass (pun intended) on playing
football - American or European! G