Old 07-06-2007, 08:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Home Gardening Becomes Even More Imperative

writes:

I don't remember the Hindenberg boom,

Didn't they determine in the last few years that the Hydrogen was not the
problem for the fire and explosion? I don't recall the details of the
report, but it seriously disputed the previous information including how
many eye witness reports were disregarded at the time. If anyone knows
about this, I would love them to post it. My tracking isn't all that good
about things that are not relevant to my current life.

Now, why are the two most popular hybrids made by Japan? The Ford
doesn't live up to the hype, or so I've read. If we really wanted
vehicles which get 100 miles to a gallon of gas, we could do it. We
don't need speed boats.

Why? Because Japan, as so often, sees what is needed and produces it,
knowing full well that that Detroit is going for profit first and for
today and not looking at the long haul. It's no coincidence that the gas
hogs are advertised in a pristine setting.

I own a Prius, first generation. It took me a long time and serious
thought to buy other-than-American as I've always had American-made cars.
My son pointed out that I could support Japan once and the oil fields less
for the rest of time, or support our profit-hungry, environment-unfriendly
American auto manufacturers and the oil fields to the max. I get
motorcycle mileage and the comfort of a mid-size car. Honestly, I have
gotten 50 mph overall since I got it in August 1st of 2003; that's real
mileage, not bragging mileage. It has as much (or more) inside room than
my Escort did and has a smaller footprint, and over double the gas
mileage. So, I can't pull a trailer but I haven't since my 1957 Ford
days, but I can keep up with or get out of the way of any other vehicle on
the road; that gas engine is just as powerful as in an all-gas car but the
battery is wonderful in those snail traffic jams. I must admit that there
have been times I've shown the jack-axxex that the "electric" has as much
power as they do when they start messing around and enjoy it just as much
as when I left the same type jokers behind with my '57. (Loved that car!)

Maybe coming up with localization is another good way to conserve.
Build communities which have all they need within walking or biking
distance. Especially in places like Texas where land is spread far
and wide...but that too is rapidly changing.

Eh, my knee hurts.

Our back-yard gardens, CSAs, and shopping farmers' markets are a start.
As they say down under - Good on us. (We're trying.)

Glenna

Old 07-06-2007, 05:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article fc.003d0941022a0c6b3b9aca00881cc7ed.22a0c91@pmug. org,
(Glenna Rose) wrote:

Didn't they determine in the last few years that the Hydrogen was not the
problem for the fire and explosion? I don't recall the details of the
report, but it seriously disputed the previous information including how
many eye witness reports were disregarded at the time. If anyone knows
about this, I would love them to post it. My tracking isn't all that good
about things that are not relevant to my current life.

The Hindenburg
My mess, my clean-up. Feller can't even get away with a little hyperbole
these days. Next time I'll take it one teeny word at a time:-)

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/29/au...?ex=1335499200
&en=acdbd204f3df0ab5&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rs s

also see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hindenburg_disaster

7,000,000 cubic ft. of H2, and it's container(The Hindenburg), burned in
34 sec. Maybe no a bang but, it certainly wasn't a whimper. The hydrogen
was the fuel. St. Elmo's Fire may have been the ignition.

łElectrical conditions in the atmosphere were probably a little risky.
Earlier in the day, rubber factories in northern New Jersey had been
closed due to static in the air; the fear was that stocks of carbon
black might ignite.˛
------

The "Space Shuttle" runs on hydrogen and oxygen. Pound for pound the
best "bang" for your buck that you can get.

Y'all can go back to pullin' weeds now.

- Billy