GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Volunteer tomatoes (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/159818-volunteer-tomatoes.html)

[email protected] 08-06-2007 09:56 PM

Volunteer tomatoes

They're coming up beside decorative plants in large pots.

Must have been seeds in the dirt I used to fill pots.

They seem very healthy -- almost more so than the ones
I painstakaking planted and labeled and transplanted and...

Be interesting to see what materializes down the line!

Persephone

Omelet 08-06-2007 10:19 PM

Volunteer tomatoes

In article ,
wrote:

They're coming up beside decorative plants in large pots.

Must have been seeds in the dirt I used to fill pots.

They seem very healthy -- almost more so than the ones
I painstakaking planted and labeled and transplanted and...

Be interesting to see what materializes down the line!

Persephone

I've had most excellent luck with volunteer tomatoes!
They've generally sprouted from seeds that came from fruit that got
missed and rotted on the vine, then fell to the ground...
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Bill R 09-06-2007 12:31 AM

Volunteer tomatoes

wrote:

They're coming up beside decorative plants in large pots.

Must have been seeds in the dirt I used to fill pots.

They seem very healthy -- almost more so than the ones
I painstakaking planted and labeled and transplanted and...

Be interesting to see what materializes down the line!

Persephone

I always grow a lot of the "salad" tomatoes and every year I get a good
number of volunteer plants from last year's garden. Some of them I
transplant and some of them I give to the neighbors. The only down side
is that I never know exactly what they will be but neither I or the
neighbors care because ANY home grown tomato tastes better than the ones
the supermarkets sell.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years

To see pictures from my garden visit
http://members.iglou.com/brosen

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL

Aluckyguess 09-06-2007 02:28 AM

Volunteer tomatoes

Alsmost always a Cherry tomato. Most Hybrids are mixed with some sort of
cherry tomato and they revert back.

Persephone 10-06-2007 02:43 AM

Volunteer tomatoes

On Fri, 8 Jun 2007 18:28:37 -0700, "Aluckyguess" wrote:

Alsmost always a Cherry tomato. Most Hybrids are mixed with some sort of
cherry tomato and they revert back.

I didn't know that about hybrids mixed with cherry tomatoes!

I suspect you're right about my volunteers. Will keep an eye on them
and post when fruit arrives.

Persephone

m...

Aluckyguess 10-06-2007 02:53 AM

Volunteer tomatoes

I pulled most of my vounteer tomatoes this year. I did save some peppers. I
had a little pear at the end of last season that produced almost all winter
until the frost got it.Please post back on what they are.
Persephone wrote in message
On Fri, 8 Jun 2007 18:28:37 -0700, "Aluckyguess" wrote:

Alsmost always a Cherry tomato. Most Hybrids are mixed with some sort of
cherry tomato and they revert back.

I didn't know that about hybrids mixed with cherry tomatoes!

I suspect you're right about my volunteers. Will keep an eye on them
and post when fruit arrives.

Persephone

om...

Dave 10-06-2007 05:19 AM

Volunteer tomatoes

wrote in message

They're coming up beside decorative plants in large pots.

Must have been seeds in the dirt I used to fill pots.

They seem very healthy -- almost more so than the ones
I painstakaking planted and labeled and transplanted and...

Be interesting to see what materializes down the line!

Persephone

Yep. No pot but a gravel driveway. One leaf lettuce plant decided to
germinate, take root, and continue year after year on the edge of the
driveway. Ain't supposed to happen, maybe one season, but it keeps coming
back. Even last year's drought didn't kill it. 2nd year now.
Dave