Old 10-06-2007, 07:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default arugula

The ones I planted 6" apart per instructions are bolting. The
unthinned overcrowded ones haven't bolted yet and have bigger and
juicier leaves. Tastes about the same.

Old 11-06-2007, 09:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jun 10, 11:13?am, James wrote:
The ones I planted 6" apart per instructions are bolting. The
unthinned overcrowded ones haven't bolted yet and have bigger and
juicier leaves. Tastes about the same.

The ones with room to grow to the fullest extent are bolting
completing their task. The ones crowded together cannot bolt as
nutrients and space is at a premium and they are unable to bolt. Best
thing to do is to plant with adequate space, harvest, and replant with
something else if your climate permits multiple planting within the
same season. Regards - Jim

Old 11-06-2007, 02:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jun 11, 4:47 am, jimnginger wrote:
On Jun 10, 11:13?am, James wrote:

The ones I planted 6" apart per instructions are bolting. The
unthinned overcrowded ones haven't bolted yet and have bigger and
juicier leaves. Tastes about the same.

The ones with room to grow to the fullest extent are bolting
completing their task. The ones crowded together cannot bolt as
nutrients and space is at a premium and they are unable to bolt. Best
thing to do is to plant with adequate space, harvest, and replant with
something else if your climate permits multiple planting within the
same season. Regards - Jim

I think I'm better off overcrowding them to delay bolting. That way
in effect extending the season. It's only 6" X 24" patch. I'm
pinching off a few leaves everyday.

Old 11-06-2007, 02:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jun 10, 11:13?am, James wrote:

The ones I planted 6" apart per instructions are bolting. The
unthinned overcrowded ones haven't bolted yet and have bigger and
juicier leaves. Tastes about the same.

The ones with room to grow to the fullest extent are bolting
completing their task. The ones crowded together cannot bolt as
nutrients and space is at a premium and they are unable to bolt. Best
thing to do is to plant with adequate space, harvest, and replant with
something else if your climate permits multiple planting within the
same season. Regards - Jim

I think I'm better off overcrowding them to delay bolting. That way
in effect extending the season. It's only 6" X 24" patch. I'm
pinching off a few leaves everyday.

I appreciate you posting this.
I may have to try this for lettuce. :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 11-06-2007, 07:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article .com,
jimnginger wrote:

On Jun 10, 11:13?am, James wrote:
The ones I planted 6" apart per instructions are bolting. The
unthinned overcrowded ones haven't bolted yet and have bigger and
juicier leaves. Tastes about the same.

The ones with room to grow to the fullest extent are bolting
completing their task. The ones crowded together cannot bolt as
nutrients and space is at a premium and they are unable to bolt. Best
thing to do is to plant with adequate space, harvest, and replant with
something else if your climate permits multiple planting within the
same season. Regards - Jim

Don't know where you are but here in z9, northern California, I've had
arugula reseed and was without it for only a few weeks a year. My luck,
I'm not a big fan of arugula, so in the spring I would remove what I
didn't want. Basically, I pulled it like a weed. One or two arugula in
my lettuce patch is plenty for me because the flavor is so strong.
Although, I know some people like to make pesto out of it. Because I
only kept a couple of arugula, there came the year, it didn't come back.
Wish the rest of my lettuce showed this habit.

- Billy