Old 14-06-2007, 01:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Courgettes

Do you have to remove the "male" non productive flowers from
courgettes or leave them?

Old 14-06-2007, 11:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote in message
ups.com...
Do you have to remove the "male" non productive flowers from
courgettes or leave them?

The male flowers are needed to pollinate the females, you can do this by
hand or allow insects to do the polination. The courgettes will not develope
unless the females are pollinated.

Old 16-06-2007, 12:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jun 14, 3:39?pm, "GreenieLeBrun" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

Do you have to remove the "male" non productive flowers from
courgettes or leave them?

The male flowers are needed to pollinate the females, you can do this by
hand or allow insects to do the polination. The courgettes will not develope
unless the females are pollinated.

I'm in So. California and I never touch them. There are many more male
flowers but they all disappear after flowering. They pollenate the
female flowers. We love just looking at all the pretty flowers on the
courgettes or summer squash as we call them here. Regards - Jim

Old 16-06-2007, 01:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article . com,
jimnginger wrote:

On Jun 14, 3:39?pm, "GreenieLeBrun" wrote:
wrote in message

ups.com...

Do you have to remove the "male" non productive flowers from
courgettes or leave them?

The male flowers are needed to pollinate the females, you can do this by
hand or allow insects to do the polination. The courgettes will not develope
unless the females are pollinated.

I'm in So. California and I never touch them. There are many more male
flowers but they all disappear after flowering. They pollenate the
female flowers. We love just looking at all the pretty flowers on the
courgettes or summer squash as we call them here. Regards - Jim

Most Americans call then zucchini. The Italians make a speciality out of
the male flowers.

Stuffed Zucchini Flowers

Appetizers

Zucchini flowers bespeak Italy in summer. The delicate, pale orange
blossoms can encase all manner of lush fillings. Francesco advises using
the zucchini flowers from the same day you buy or pick them. Also, take
care not to brown them too much when frying or the filling will ooze
out. He also recommends using commercial mozzarella instead of the best
handmade variety so it will be firmer, less moist.

Gently pull the stamen out of each zucchini flower. Set the flowers
aside. Beat the flour, eggs and salt together in a bowl until they are
smooth. Beat in the milk. Set the batter aside. Mix the mozzarella,
capers, tomato, and basil together and fill the inside of each zucchini
flower with some of this mixture. Fold the ends of the petals over the
filling to enclose it. Heat the oil to a depth of 2 inches (5 cm) in a
heavy saucepan or a wok. Dip the stuffed zucchini flowers into the
batter, allowing any excess to run off. Fry the zucchini flowers until
they turn light gold, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain them on absorbent paper as
they are done. Sprinkle them lightly with salt and serve them while they
are still warm.

16 fresh zucchini (courgette) flowers
A? cup (90g) flour
3 large eggs