Old 19-06-2007, 10:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Tomato question

Here is a link to pictures of my tomato's. I was wondering if the brown
leafs are normal or if I am doing something wrong. Maybe they are the
determinate and starting to die?
http://kevinandrews.com/Tomato%20pics.htm

thanks

Old 19-06-2007, 11:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

It looks like spotted wilt from onion thirps. This sucks it was going so
well this year.

"The Cook" wrote in message
On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 14:35:07 -0700, "Aluckyguess" wrote:

Here is a link to pictures of my tomato's. I was wondering if the brown
leafs are normal or if I am doing something wrong. Maybe they are the
determinate and starting to die?
http://kevinandrews.com/Tomato%20pics.htm

thanks

Check out this site.
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/t...ves/index.html

--
Susan N.

Old 20-06-2007, 03:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 14:35:07 -0700, "Aluckyguess" wrote:

Here is a link to pictures of my tomato's. I was wondering if the brown
leafs are normal or if I am doing something wrong. Maybe they are the
determinate and starting to die?
http://kevinandrews.com/Tomato%20pics.htm

thanks

An important clue is that most of the damage occurs near the bottom
where there is more moisture and less circulation of air.

You can help by thinning out the foliage and letting your plants
breathe and air circulate.

And NEVER wet the ground under the plant. You want the soil under
the plant to be completely dry at all times. You can do this with a
good dry layered mulch. To water the plants, use a buried bottle
such as a milk jug with holes punched in the bottom.

Old 20-06-2007, 05:42 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , Charlie wrote:

If it were my garden, I wouldn't be concerned right now.

I agree. I don't have the faintest idea what this is but they are all
lower leaves. I would figure that they have done their thing and not
worry about it. The crop looks good. The crown looks good. I'd
say,"enjoy".
--
Billy

Old 20-06-2007, 05:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Aluckyguess" wrote in message
Here is a link to pictures of my tomato's. I was wondering if the brown
leafs are normal or if I am doing something wrong. Maybe they are the
determinate and starting to die?
http://kevinandrews.com/Tomato%20pics.htm

thanks

My opinion.
Most likely.
Not enough light. Too thick. Too much moisture in the region where the
leaf die-off is evident. Your irrigation method is probably contributing to
it.
Dave

Old 20-06-2007, 06:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Thanks everyone you guys are great. I will thin out the bottom and only
water with underground soker hose.

Kevin

Old 20-06-2007, 03:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 21:05:48 -0500, HomerS wrote:

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 14:35:07 -0700, "Aluckyguess" wrote:

Here is a link to pictures of my tomato's. I was wondering if the brown
leafs are normal or if I am doing something wrong. Maybe they are the
determinate and starting to die?
http://kevinandrews.com/Tomato%20pics.htm

thanks

An important clue is that most of the damage occurs near the bottom
where there is more moisture and less circulation of air.

You can help by thinning out the foliage and letting your plants
breathe and air circulate.

And NEVER wet the ground under the plant. You want the soil under
the plant to be completely dry at all times. You can do this with a
good dry layered mulch. To water the plants, use a buried bottle
such as a milk jug with holes punched in the bottom.

How do you get the rain to cooperate with your tomato watering plan?

Boron
Old 21-06-2007, 04:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 10:40:00 -0400, Boron Elgar
wrote:

[...]

You mean you can't direct the rain around the plants and into the
soil?

According to the Texas A&M site, it looks like early blight. I
usually get some on my tomato plants, but it doesn't usually kill
them. Spray with a copper-based fungicide, according to Rodale's
"Garden Problem Solver."

Early blight seems to be selective. Some of my tomatoes that are
thick close to the ground show no signs of it and some of the ones
that are fairly thin and off the ground do have it. BTW we use soaker
hoses that are covered with grass clipping.
--
Susan N.

Old 21-06-2007, 09:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Do what she said but add 1/2 asprin per gal of water and do it once a
week after the sun has gone down.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Old 23-06-2007, 02:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Here is a link to pictures of my tomato's. I was wondering if the brown
leafs are normal or if I am doing something wrong.

I agree with HomerS. I get some of this every year.
If it were my garden, I wouldn't be concerned right now.

That's my experience too. Usually I scratch my head, wonder what is
going on, maybe water a bit (if I haven't been), and basically ignore
it.

Can't promise that always works, or even is the best approach, but it
has worked for me.
Old 23-06-2007, 03:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Jim Kingdon" wrote in message
news
Here is a link to pictures of my tomato's. I was wondering if the brown
leafs are normal or if I am doing something wrong.

I agree with HomerS. I get some of this every year.
If it were my garden, I wouldn't be concerned right now.

That's my experience too. Usually I scratch my head, wonder what is
going on, maybe water a bit (if I haven't been), and basically ignore
it.

Can't promise that always works, or even is the best approach, but it
has worked for me.

It seems to be getting worse.

Old 24-06-2007, 06:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Aluckyguess" wrote in message

"Jim Kingdon" wrote in message
news
Here is a link to pictures of my tomato's. I was wondering if the brown
leafs are normal or if I am doing something wrong.

I agree with HomerS. I get some of this every year.
If it were my garden, I wouldn't be concerned right now.

That's my experience too. Usually I scratch my head, wonder what is
going on, maybe water a bit (if I haven't been), and basically ignore
it.

Can't promise that always works, or even is the best approach, but it
has worked for me.

It seems to be getting worse.

If drying out and thinning doesn't cure it, may be something else. Too soon
to say so far. There are 2 common afflictions to tomatoes that start by
producing the symptoms of dead leaves starting at the bottom of the plant.
The worst is s virus that's actually in the soil. No cure. Plant something
else. Or leave unplanted for a few years. No, not kidding.
Dave

Old 24-06-2007, 04:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article t,
"Dave" wrote:

[...]

Virus or some thing else like verticillium or fusarium wilt ?
--
Billy
Old 24-06-2007, 06:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Its a new bed. I sprayed a fungicide we will see what happens.

Thanks again.