Old 26-06-2007, 03:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default How do you put on bird netting over fruit trees?

I got the netting but it get all tangled up with my shirt buttons and
is impossible to get over the tree. It's almost invisible.

There are at least 4 squirrels dinning on my pears. I only got 4
Bartlet left on the tree so I can just wrap them. I had just thin the
Asian pears and right after the squirrels thin them a whole lot more.
Was going to shoot them up they are young ones and I didn't have the
heart.

Old 26-06-2007, 04:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

James wrote:
I got the netting but it get all tangled up with my shirt buttons and
is impossible to get over the tree. It's almost invisible.

There are at least 4 squirrels dinning on my pears. I only got 4
Bartlet left on the tree so I can just wrap them. I had just thin the
Asian pears and right after the squirrels thin them a whole lot more.
Was going to shoot them up they are young ones and I didn't have the
heart.

We use two people with a pole about 10-12 feet long each. At the end of
the pole I used a saw and cut a Y. The Y holds the netting while you get
it up and over the top. Put the netting on after the fruit sets but
before it gets any bigger. Pull the netting together at the base of the
tree and tie it loosely around the trunk. This spring was the first time
I netted my fruit trees and also the first time I beat the squirrels and
the grackles to the fruit. I would shoot the tree rats but I live in a
town that has, unwisely, proclaimed itself a "wildlife refuge." The old
biddy next door puts out corn on the cob for the tree rats and they
bring it over to my place and drop it all over the place. Occasionally
my Rat Terrier gets a squirrel and that's legal but not enough to please
me when there's twenty of them after my garden and fruit. Not to mention
the electrical transformers they commit suicide with blowing up. HTH

George

Old 26-06-2007, 05:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article . com,
James wrote:

I got the netting but it get all tangled up with my shirt buttons and
is impossible to get over the tree. It's almost invisible.

There are at least 4 squirrels dinning on my pears. I only got 4
Bartlet left on the tree so I can just wrap them. I had just thin the
Asian pears and right after the squirrels thin them a whole lot more.
Was going to shoot them up they are young ones and I didn't have the
heart.

Well, if'n you enjoyed a nip now and then, there is that ol' Itralian
trick of putting a bottle over the very young fruit, taping it closed,
and taping it to the tree branch. When the fruit is ripe, snip off the
brance and remove it from the bottle, add fresh water to the bottle and
swirl it around a few times to remove any dust, drain, and then fill
with Pear William, and cork. Then you have a pear in a bottle of pear
brandy that makes a nice gift, or conversational piece with digestives.
Conversation being the difference between eating and dining.
--
Billy
Old 26-06-2007, 07:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jun 26, 11:32 am, George Shirley wrote:
James wrote:
[...]

I think I'd leave the net over the tree once in place. Fruit theives
can have any fruit that set over the net.

Old 26-06-2007, 07:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jun 26, 12:01 pm, Billy Rose wrote:
In article . com,

James wrote:
[...]

Remind me next year. The fruits are too big to go thru the bottle
mouth now.

Old 26-06-2007, 07:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article . com,
James wrote:

I got the netting but it get all tangled up with my shirt buttons and
is impossible to get over the tree. It's almost invisible.

There are at least 4 squirrels dinning on my pears. I only got 4
Bartlet left on the tree so I can just wrap them. I had just thin the
Asian pears and right after the squirrels thin them a whole lot more.
Was going to shoot them up they are young ones and I didn't have the
heart.

It takes two people, and a bit of patience.

You can always box trap the squirrels and relocate them a few miles away.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 26-06-2007, 07:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jun 26, 2:27 pm, Omelet wrote:
In article . com,

James wrote:
I got the netting but it get all tangled up with my shirt buttons and
is impossible to get over the tree. It's almost invisible.

There are at least 4 squirrels dinning on my pears. I only got 4
Bartlet left on the tree so I can just wrap them. I had just thin the
Asian pears and right after the squirrels thin them a whole lot more.
Was going to shoot them up they are young ones and I didn't have the
heart.

It takes two people, and a bit of patience.

You can always box trap the squirrels and relocate them a few miles away.
--
Peace, Om

You mean like the people who dumped them on my fruit trees?

Old 26-06-2007, 08:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article .com,
James wrote:

On Jun 26, 2:27 pm, Omelet wrote:
In article . com,

James wrote:
I got the netting but it get all tangled up with my shirt buttons and
is impossible to get over the tree. It's almost invisible.

There are at least 4 squirrels dinning on my pears. I only got 4
Bartlet left on the tree so I can just wrap them. I had just thin the
Asian pears and right after the squirrels thin them a whole lot more.
Was going to shoot them up they are young ones and I didn't have the
heart.

It takes two people, and a bit of patience.

You can always box trap the squirrels and relocate them a few miles away.
--
Peace, Om

You mean like the people who dumped them on my fruit trees?

lol I'd at least dump them at a local park where people feed them.

Personally, I find squirrel to be delicious. Wet them down before
skinning them to keep them from shedding on the meat.

But, not everyone can shoot tree rats.

One should always eat what they kill whenever possible.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 26-06-2007, 09:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

James wrote:

[...]

Only problem is that limbs tend to grow during the year in my climate
and then it's hell getting the netting off without cutting it up.
Normally the netting will last several years. I hit on the idea of just
pruning off new growth that grows through the netting and it's working
so far.

George

Old 26-06-2007, 09:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Omelet wrote:

In article . com,
James wrote:

I got the netting but it get all tangled up with my shirt buttons and
is impossible to get over the tree. It's almost invisible.

There are at least 4 squirrels dinning on my pears. I only got 4
Bartlet left on the tree so I can just wrap them. I had just thin the
Asian pears and right after the squirrels thin them a whole lot more.
Was going to shoot them up they are young ones and I didn't have the
heart.

It takes two people, and a bit of patience.

You can always box trap the squirrels and relocate them a few miles away.

In some jurisdictions you can't do that Om. In Louisiana you have to get
a permit which involves telling the game people where you're going to
release them and what the terrain is like, etc. More trouble than just
letting the little devils run amok.

George

Old 27-06-2007, 02:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Hmmm... How about a yappy dog. Since I got my little Yorkie, critters
like rabbits and squirrels are no longer a problem. I have also trained
my dog to stay out of the garden, without punishing it. Then again,
someone told me "yorkies are not dogs at all, Yorkies are squirrels with
bad haircuts."

Enjoy Life .... Dan

In article ,
George Shirley wrote:

Omelet wrote:

In article . com,
James wrote:

[...]

Email "dan lehr at comcast dot net". Text only or goes to trash automatically.
Old 27-06-2007, 07:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

For the reasons you mentioned, and others, I gave up putting full nets over my
fruit
trees. It took a full day to put it up and another to take it down. I had a
nice system
though, using a vertical pole extending above the tree top. On top of the pole
I had
a horizontal 'X' crossbars with a wire around the perimeter and plastic bottles
at the
ends to allow the net to slip over it. Four guy wires held it up.

I have since gone to a different system of covering my more valuable fruits with
zip
lock sandwich bags. You need a slit at the bottom for the rain to drain out. I
am
also experimenting this year with nylon 'footsies', an inexpensive sock that
women
use to try on shoes. It is very labor intensive, and won't work well with fruit
like
cherries that grow in clusters. It also has the benefit of temporary protection
from
rabbits who would otherwise chew on fallen fruit. The bags also can protect
against
certain insect penetration, if you can get them on early enough in the fruit's
development.

I keep my yard almost squirrel free by trap and release methods. It takes a few

seasons to reduce the population, but in succesive years you only find a few
stragglers moving into your yard.

Sherwin D.

Old 27-06-2007, 03:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

sherwindu wrote in message
[..] It took a full day to put it up and another to take
it down.

It took you a full day to put up and take down netting? Why? It
shouldn't take more than 30-40 minutes with assistance from any
able-bodied adult.

I had a nice system though, using a vertical pole
extending above the tree top. On top of the pole
I had a horizontal 'X' crossbars with a wire around
the perimeter and plastic bottles at the ends to allow
the net to slip over it. Four guy wires held it up.

Why did you stop using this system? It actually sounds like it
would work a lot better than netting _and_ would be much easier to
put up and take down.

I have since gone to a different system of covering
my more valuable fruits with zip lock sandwich bags.
[..] also experimenting this year with nylon 'footsies',

[snip]

And you're concerned that the netting took a whole day? Putting
footsies or ziplocks over individual fruit is such an extremely
labor intensive job that the netting can't even come close to
being.

The Ranger

Old 27-06-2007, 06:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jun 27, 10:51 am, "The Ranger" wrote:
sherwindu wrote in message

[...]

For one thing your glasses wouldn't get tangled up in footsies or
ziplocks.

My pussy thinks the netting is a toy and loves to get all tangled in
it while I was trying to put it up.

Just covered my fig. However I think it was raccoons that were
stealing my figs last year because it was something heavy enough to
break branches.

Old 27-06-2007, 07:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

sherwindu wrote in message

[...]

The !@#$% grackles have already been at ours. Just as the fig ripens
they eat half of it. Went out this morning and netted the fig tree. The
plum and the peach crops are done so used the same netting over again.

George