Old 26-06-2007, 03:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Tim Tim is offline

Default Charcoal Ash

Good Morning All!

Is there any productive use of Charcoal Ash (from a BBQ Grill) in the
garden.

Thanks,

--
"The words of the tongue should have three gatekeepers:
Is it true?

Old 26-06-2007, 04:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Tim wrote:
Good Morning All!

Is there any productive use of Charcoal Ash (from a BBQ Grill) in the
garden.

No. There are chemical and other additives in charcoal that I'm sure you
wouldn't want leached into the soil. It's not safe even for the compost.

Even wood ash is not recommended unless you're looking to treat very
acidic soil.

..

Zone 5b in Canada's Far East.

--

We must change the way we live,
or the climate will do it for us.
Old 26-06-2007, 05:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
cloud dreamer wrote:

Tim wrote:
Good Morning All!

Is there any productive use of Charcoal Ash (from a BBQ Grill) in the
garden.

No. There are chemical and other additives in charcoal that I'm sure you
wouldn't want leached into the soil. It's not safe even for the compost.

Even wood ash is not recommended unless you're looking to treat very
acidic soil.

..

Zone 5b in Canada's Far East.

Well, wood ashes are a good source of potassium but it has the problems
that you have listed above.
--
Billy
Old 26-06-2007, 10:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

I've used wood ash as a potassium source for years in combination with
blood and bone for nitrogen and phosphorus and seaweed for trace elements,
plus compost. No problems for me and some of the major organic growers
around here. The exception would be treated timber, but you shouldn't burn
that anyway.

Mike

Old 28-06-2007, 03:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Him Him is offline

I used wood as my primary heat source for the past 15 years and have always
spread the ashes on my garden ... then tilled them and the other additives
in well in the spring. Always seem to be ok for me here.

Last year I switched to a corn stove .... did the same but tilling was
harder as it seemed to clump together.

Any ideas on using the corn ashes in the garden?