Old 26-06-2007, 09:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Corn already tasseling and sprouting ears....

I am worried that my sweet corn is a failure. It is only 4-5 feet high and
already has tassels and very small ears forming. This is my first year
planting corn and I think it is doomed. Where did I go wrong??

Damon

Old 26-06-2007, 09:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Damon Heron wrote:
I am worried that my sweet corn is a failure. It is only 4-5 feet high and
already has tassels and very small ears forming. This is my first year
planting corn and I think it is doomed. Where did I go wrong??

I don't know where you are, but 'round here, I'm delighted to get corn
that's 4 or 5 feet high. I planted some last year in containers....so
including the container, they weren't much taller than me (at 5'4"). I
got three or four delicious ears off each of them.

..

Zone 5b in Canada's not-much-of-a-corn-belt Far East.

--

We must change the way we live,
or the climate will do it for us.

Old 26-06-2007, 11:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Jun 26, 4:09 pm, "Damon Heron" wrote:
I am worried that my sweet corn is a failure. It is only 4-5 feet high and
already has tassels and very small ears forming. This is my first year
planting corn and I think it is doomed. Where did I go wrong??

Damon

Depends on which cultivar you planted, Few sweet corn varieties get
more than 7 feet, and many top out at 3-4 ft. If it looks healthy
(dark green) and is shooting and tasseling you should be fine. For
future reference tho, It pays to know the name of the cultivar
(variety) and the growth pattern expected.

Old 28-06-2007, 09:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Damon Heron" wrote:

I am in No. California, and I am just concerned that it is tassling way to
early in the year. Usually, it is August and the corn is 7-8 ft. high.

Same variety of corn?

Damon Heron wrote:
I am worried that my sweet corn is a failure. It is only 4-5 feet high
and already has tassels and very small ears forming. This is my first
year planting corn and I think it is doomed. Where did I go wrong??

I don't know where you are, but 'round here, I'm delighted to get corn
that's 4 or 5 feet high. I planted some last year in containers....so
including the container, they weren't much taller than me (at 5'4"). I got
three or four delicious ears off each of them.

..

Zone 5b in Canada's not-much-of-a-corn-belt Far East.

--

We must change the way we live,
or the climate will do it for us.

--
Billy

why no sprouting on my Purple sprouting? Moonraker United Kingdom 3 05-03-2012 10:53 PM
Purple Sprouting Broccoli flowering already Eurofeeds[_2_] United Kingdom 7 27-06-2010 06:54 AM
Corn tasseling too early Suzanne D.[_2_] Edible Gardening 5 18-06-2009 08:00 PM
Grass tasseling donald Lawns 2 08-06-2005 03:18 PM
Ears sprouting tassles? Matt Edible Gardening 3 01-08-2003 12:12 PM