Old 30-06-2007, 08:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Blueberry plants

Does anyone know of a reliable source for blueberry plants. I'm looking for
northern highbush and need 1000-1500. I'm in the process of layout & not
sure of the exact number yet.
Thanks for any help,
Steve

Old 30-06-2007, 09:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 19:06:03 GMT, "Steve Peek" wrote:

Does anyone know of a reliable source for blueberry plants. I'm looking for
northern highbush and need 1000-1500. I'm in the process of layout & not
sure of the exact number yet.
Thanks for any help,
Steve

I cannot vouch for them, but try here. If they do not have the
varieties you seek, perhaps they can help.

http://www.fallcreeknursery.com/gardener/index.html

Boron

Old 02-07-2007, 04:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article et,
"Steve Peek" wrote:

Thanks, they have a super selection, but the shipping to NC may be
prohibitive.
Steve
"Boron Elgar" wrote in message
On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 19:06:03 GMT, "Steve Peek" wrote:

Does anyone know of a reliable source for blueberry plants. I'm looking
for
northern highbush and need 1000-1500. I'm in the process of layout & not
sure of the exact number yet.
Thanks for any help,
Steve

I cannot vouch for them, but try here. If they do not have the
varieties you seek, perhaps they can help.

http://www.fallcreeknursery.com/gardener/index.html

Boron

Do you have a peat bog or swamp to plant them in? What
soil pH do highbush blues need?

NC seems awfully far south to grow good blueberries...

Jan in Alaska
surrounded by swamps & peat bogs
Old 02-07-2007, 01:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Jan Flora wrote:
In article et,
"Steve Peek" wrote:

Thanks, they have a super selection, but the shipping to NC may be
prohibitive.
Steve
"Boron Elgar" wrote in message
On Sat, 30 Jun 2007 19:06:03 GMT, "Steve Peek" wrote:

Does anyone know of a reliable source for blueberry plants. I'm looking
for
northern highbush and need 1000-1500. I'm in the process of layout & not
sure of the exact number yet.
Thanks for any help,
Steve

I cannot vouch for them, but try here. If they do not have the
varieties you seek, perhaps they can help.

http://www.fallcreeknursery.com/gardener/index.html

Boron

Do you have a peat bog or swamp to plant them in? What
soil pH do highbush blues need?

NC seems awfully far south to grow good blueberries...

What??

Jan in Alaska
surrounded by swamps & peat bogs

Nah, we are surrounded by blueberry farms locally, and across the state,
there are several towns that host annual blueberry festivals.

Rae

(also in NC)

Old 02-07-2007, 10:34 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ann Ann is offline

Jan Flora expounded:

Do you have a peat bog or swamp to plant them in? What
soil pH do highbush blues need?

Blueberries don't need a peat bog or swamp, they hate standing water
and soggy feet. Have you ever seen a pine barren? Hardly a swamp.
--
Ann
e-mail address is not checked
Old 02-07-2007, 11:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Ann wrote:
Jan Flora expounded:

Do you have a peat bog or swamp to plant them in? What
soil pH do highbush blues need?

Blueberries don't need a peat bog or swamp, they hate standing water
and soggy feet. Have you ever seen a pine barren? Hardly a swamp.

They do need a soil that has a pH around 4.5-5.0 though to really
thrive. Our soil is close to neutral so I have to amend it annually to
drop the pH.

George

Old 03-07-2007, 02:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ann Ann is offline

George Shirley expounded:

Ann wrote:
Jan Flora expounded:

Do you have a peat bog or swamp to plant them in? What
soil pH do highbush blues need?

Blueberries don't need a peat bog or swamp, they hate standing water
and soggy feet. Have you ever seen a pine barren? Hardly a swamp.

They do need a soil that has a pH around 4.5-5.0 though to really
thrive. Our soil is close to neutral so I have to amend it annually to
drop the pH.

Yes, they do. Our home up in Maine is in a pine barren, the land is
covered naturally in lowbush blueberries. We've also got a few
highbush blueberries, too, someone planted in the past. I've never
measured the pH of the soil up there, but I'm sure it's around 4.5.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Ann wrote:

Jan Flora expounded:

Do you have a peat bog or swamp to plant them in? What
soil pH do highbush blues need?

Blueberries don't need a peat bog or swamp, they hate standing water
and soggy feet. Have you ever seen a pine barren? Hardly a swamp.

I haven't *seen* a pine barren, but I read John McPhee's
book about the NJ Pine Barrens... (Everything he writes
is good, btw.)

We have a few wild blues growing around the ranch. Mostly,
the bears beat me to the berries, and mostly, I'm willing
to let them.

We have lots of wild highbush cranberries and lots of
wild and tame currants here.

Jan

Old 05-07-2007, 10:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

Jan Flora wrote:
In article et,
"Steve Peek" wrote:

[...]

I just read somewhere that blueberries thrive in the Ozarks.
Is that NC? I've only been on the other side of the Mississippi
River once and that was to visit cousins in CT. (New England is
sure pretty!)

My ignorance about back east is appalling...

Jan
Old 05-07-2007, 11:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Jan Flora wrote:
In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

Jan Flora wrote:
In article et,
"Steve Peek" wrote:

[...]

Nope, not Ozarks, but we have the Appalachians aka "great smokey
mountains" that we share with TN & VA. I live closer to the coast. If
I remember my geography right, the Ozarks are like in Arkansas and
Missouri. A small portion in Oklahoma and Kansas. But blueberries is
just one of a number of crops that thrive well in NC. As I said before,
there are many farms here that are devoted to blueberries. You can go
five miles in 4 directions from my house and be surrounded by blueberry
fields. Several of us gardeners have a few bushes at home too. I don't
have any, but hope to buy a few shoots from a neighbor in time for next
years harvest. There are blueberry fields scattered thru-out the whole
state, from the coastal area, to the sandhills, to the mountains. Very
profitable crop here.

Rae

Old 05-07-2007, 11:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ann Ann is offline

Jan Flora expounded:

I haven't *seen* a pine barren, but I read John McPhee's
book about the NJ Pine Barrens... (Everything he writes
is good, btw.)

Our home up in Maine is in a pine barren. We've got about 2 acres in
wild blueberries. Because hubby is no longer up there fulltime we've
got some invading plants to deal with this fall, he's purchased a DR
Brushcutter to take things down. From what we've seen at neighbors'
homes, if you mow the blueberries they seem to come back with a
vengence, that's what we're hoping!

We have a few wild blues growing around the ranch. Mostly,
the bears beat me to the berries, and mostly, I'm willing
to let them.

The birds do get some of them, but there's so many I get a great
harvest every year....well, except for last year, when it rained for
the whole spring and early summer, pollination was poor and the crop
was bad basically for the whole state. We've put three beehives up
there, hopefully the girls will give us a good harvest. They're not
quite ready yet.

We have lots of wild highbush cranberries and lots of
wild and tame currants here.

I'd love to grow currants, but we're not supposed to, they're the
alternate host for some pine blight (
Old 06-07-2007, 04:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Ann wrote:

[...]

Yep, the tree catalogs have warnings about white pine blight or
something. I guess it's illegal in places to grow plants that will
support/harbor the blight.

We don't have pine trees here. (Wish we did.) Just black spruce,
white spruce, Lutz spruce (a hydrid of the two others), some
birch and some cottonwoods. A couple of kinds of aspen grow
about 80 miles north of here. Gotta get a couple of them...

Jan
Old 06-07-2007, 11:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

NC seems awfully far south to grow good blueberries...

Possibly true of the Northern Highbush (Vaccinium corymbosum) but
certainly not true of the Rabbiteye (V. ashei also known as
V. virgatum) and some others.

Most of the commercial blueberries are hybrids (of these and other
species), but will still often be divided into "southern" and
"northern" varieties.