GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Have I let my broccoli go to long (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/161212-have-i-let-my-broccoli-go-long.html)

George.com 03-07-2007 11:36 AM

Have I let my broccoli go to long

"Ann" wrote in message
cloud dreamer expounded:

I've never grown broccoli but I remember reading that you have to keep a
close eye on it because once it flowers it's no good. It's the reason I
won't grow it.

It's not all that picky, just eat it before the florets open. You're
missing a really nice treat! Easy to grow and delicious!

I get the odd one where the florets have open a little and it really is not
noticable, especially if you have it mixed in a stir fry or the like. If
totally gone to flower that may be a different story.

rob

Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz 03-07-2007 11:20 PM

Have I let my broccoli go to long

The broccoli heads are staring to flower, should I pick the broccoli now
even though it's only the size of a softball?

cloud dreamer[_4_] 03-07-2007 11:49 PM

Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz wrote:
The broccoli heads are staring to flower, should I pick the broccoli now
even though it's only the size of a softball?

I've never grown broccoli but I remember reading that you have to keep a
close eye on it because once it flowers it's no good. It's the reason I
won't grow it.

..

--

We must change the way we live,
or the climate will do it for us.

Kyle Berk 03-07-2007 11:53 PM

Have I let my broccoli go to long

On Jul 3, 6:20 pm, Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz
wrote:
The broccoli heads are staring to flower, should I pick the broccoli now
even though it's only the size of a softball?

Harvest the broccoli when it starts to flower. It's still good to eat
if there are a few open buds.

Ann 04-07-2007 12:20 AM

Have I let my broccoli go to long

cloud dreamer expounded:

I've never grown broccoli but I remember reading that you have to keep a
close eye on it because once it flowers it's no good. It's the reason I
won't grow it.

It's not all that picky, just eat it before the florets open. You're
missing a really nice treat! Easy to grow and delicious!
--
Ann
e-mail address is not checked

Jan Flora 04-07-2007 09:08 PM

Have I let my broccoli go to long

In article ,
cloud dreamer wrote:

Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz wrote:
The broccoli heads are staring to flower, should I pick the broccoli now
even though it's only the size of a softball?

I've never grown broccoli but I remember reading that you have to keep a
close eye on it because once it flowers it's no good. It's the reason I
won't grow it.

..

Gee, you should try it. It's a fast, easy, cold tolerant crop.
Anything that you don't eat fresh can go in the freezer -- it
freezes beautifully without a loss of quality.

Jan
USDA Zone 3

[email protected] 04-07-2007 11:48 PM

Have I let my broccoli go to long

In article ,
says...
The broccoli heads are staring to flower, should I pick the broccoli now
even though it's only the size of a softball?

Yes. Cut the central head off now. If you wish, you can leave
the rest of the plant growing, and there will be very small heads
appearing at the joints between the main stem and the stems with
leaves.

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/

Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz 05-07-2007 01:59 AM

Have I let my broccoli go to long

On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 15:48:46 -0700, wrote:

In article ,
says...
The broccoli heads are staring to flower, should I pick the broccoli
now even though it's only the size of a softball?

Yes. Cut the central head off now. If you wish, you can leave the rest
of the plant growing, and there will be very small heads appearing at
the joints between the main stem and the stems with leaves.

I ate one head tonight, the flowers are pretty tasty.

Manelli Family[_3_] 05-07-2007 03:12 AM

"cloud dreamer" wrote in message
Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz wrote:
The broccoli heads are staring to flower, should I pick the broccoli now
even though it's only the size of a softball?

I've never grown broccoli but I remember reading that you have to keep a
close eye on it because once it flowers it's no good. It's the reason I
won't grow it.

The leaves would still be edible and tasty. Cook them like collards.

ValveJob 05-07-2007 03:26 PM

Have I let my broccoli go to long

On 5 Jul 2007 00:59:02 GMT, Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz
wrote:

On Wed, 04 Jul 2007 15:48:46 -0700, wrote:

In article ,
says...
The broccoli heads are staring to flower, should I pick the broccoli
now even though it's only the size of a softball?

Yes. Cut the central head off now. If you wish, you can leave the rest
of the plant growing, and there will be very small heads appearing at
the joints between the main stem and the stems with leaves.

I ate one head tonight, the flowers are pretty tasty.

When you buy it in the store, you get the large 'head'. When you
grow it, you eat/harvest any size head that is about to flower.

Sailor 05-07-2007 05:28 PM

Have I let my broccoli go to long

Cut a head now if you feel like having it for dinner. After the head
is cut, the plant will start producing secondary (my term) heads all
over the plant.
The crop I got from my secondary heads, on 1 plant, was more than 2
or 3 main, large heads. The secondary heads don't grow very big, but
taste great. I keep cutting small heads off long into when the planty
starts flowering. lots of the heads I cut are only 1" in dia. but
wonderfull.
The brocolli just kept comming and comming!