Old 10-07-2007, 03:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Default Tomatoes not growing...

In article ,
Leythos wrote:

I grow my veggies in large buckets about 2' in diameter and 2' tall that
are in a mulched area, I spray the mulch monthly with weed killer, but
the plants are isolated from the ground by the buckets... This has
worked well for us, we can even move them as needed. Now if I could just
keep the dogs from picking the green tomato's before they ripen.

Hot wire.

I don't have AC power down there at this time, but it's an option. I was
using 3' high chicken wire, but they jump over it right now.

Run a long extension cord temporarily and cover your power sources so
they don't get wet. You only have to run it temporarily. Dogs learn fast
once they get zapped a couple of times. ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

I grow my veggies in large buckets about 2' in diameter and 2' tall
that
are in a mulched area, I spray the mulch monthly with weed killer, but
the plants are isolated from the ground by the buckets... This has
worked well for us, we can even move them as needed. Now if I could
just
keep the dogs from picking the green tomato's before they ripen.

Why not use the motion detector sprinklers? Grated the water isn't good
for the tomato leaves but there must be some way to configure the garden
to reduce this eventuality. One keeps by dogs at bay from entering the
lettuce patch where the McNabb likes to rut.

To who ever wrote it, calling an illegal alien an "undocumented worker"
is like talking about the sound of one hand clapping".
--
Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
Old 12-07-2007, 09:38 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article ,
Leythos wrote:

In article ,
says...
In article ,
Leythos wrote:

In article om,
says...
Roundup is systemic, it's primarilly applied to foilage but once in
the soil it is taken up by plant roots as well. These kind of
defolients need to be applied very carefully, it's real easy to have
over-spray of 50, 100 feet, and more. Even when the treated plants
die the defoliant is still in the dead plant and will remain potent
long after the plant is composted and its dust blows wherever. I used
to use roundup on my gravel driveway and around building foundations,
but no more, it also poisons the animals that eat the vegetation, the
insects, and even walk there. I'd rather live with some weeds...
those that encroach on my gardens I pull up by hand, use mulch, and
cultivate...

I grow my veggies in large buckets about 2' in diameter and 2' tall that
are in a mulched area, I spray the mulch monthly with weed killer, but
the plants are isolated from the ground by the buckets... This has
worked well for us, we can even move them as needed. Now if I could just
keep the dogs from picking the green tomato's before they ripen.

Hot wire.

I don't have AC power down there at this time, but it's an option. I was
using 3' high chicken wire, but they jump over it right now.

They make some dandy solar powered fence chargers these days.

A neighbor without power uses one to keep a wire around 15 acres
hot, to keep his horses in.

Jan
Old 12-07-2007, 02:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

Jan Flora wrote:
In article ,
Leythos wrote:

In article ,
says...
In article ,
Leythos wrote:

[...]

solar fences work great! not that expensive either. here at the local
tractor supply, you can get a small solar unit for the same price as an
electric hot wire box.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.gardens

In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

Jan Flora wrote:
In article ,
Leythos wrote:

In article ,
says...
In article ,
Leythos wrote:

[...]

What a neat idea! :-)
I never even considered that...

Silly too, as I've seen them around goat pastures here.

Duh. g
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 12-02-2011, 01:00 PM
Registered User

I planted tomatoes in southern New Mexico. Ground not previously been the garden looks good. Composting of organic farming to 10 ", a large number of
Compost. Plant varieties 15 in a row. Automatic drip irrigation hose watering, weeds cover the ground black plastic stopper. Roundup to kill the surrounding grass. All plants covered by plastic bags first.
Pond Supplies
Old 17-06-2011, 06:34 PM
Registered User

I buried tomatoes in southern New Mexico. The arena had no previous garden, looked OK. I tilled in amoebic admixture to 10", lots of compost. Buried several varieties, 15 plants, in a row. Automatic watering with dribble hose, arena covered by atramentous artificial edger stopper.
Grow tents