Old 11-07-2007, 03:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Kentucky Wonder and Blue Lake

I have some Kentucky Wonder and they're pretty good. Never grew Blue
Lake. Between Kentucky Wonder and Blue Lake which would you grow and
why?

Old 11-07-2007, 04:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

James wrote:
I have some Kentucky Wonder and they're pretty good. Never grew Blue
Lake. Between Kentucky Wonder and Blue Lake which would you grow and
why?

I've grown both and like the taste and texture of the cooked Kentucky
Wonder better than the Blue Lake. It is my understanding that most of
the canned green beans are of the Blue Lake variety. Grew and canned a
lot of Blue Lake last year and either fresh or canned they are pretty
good. Still prefer the Kentucky Wonder though.

George

Old 11-07-2007, 05:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
George Shirley wrote:

I vote for Kentucky Wonder. I have about sixty Kentucky Wonder plants
growing on 3 bean towers. My plants are only 1 foot tall and still
growing. I pick them young and steam them...yum. I do not let the beans
get fat. I prefer to freeze instead of canning them. I am just waiting
and drooling until harvest time.... last year they were like eating
candy. The Kentucky Wonder is a top ten vegi in my world

I never grew Blue Lake because I was very satisfied with the first.
I am not an expert, This is my 5th year of gardening and loving it.

Enjoy Life ..... Dan

--
Email "dan lehr at comcast dot net". Text only or goes to trash automatically.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Okay, I'll be the contrarian here.

I've grown both Kentucky Wonder and Blue Lake,
and I prefer the Blue Lake. They taste great and
produce well.

As far as freezing or canning, I've done both to
'em and freezing tends to do better. Although I
usually eat them soon after picking or share with
a neighbor, so there is rarely enough left over
to preserve.

I'll see if I can find some Empress seeds next
year to try. I always make sure that I try a new
variety or two of something or other each year,
and I've found some real gems that way.

Nyssa, who will have some Blue Lake beans with
lunch today

Old 11-07-2007, 07:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

We like Blue Lake better--has a beanier taste. I wonder if your climate and
soil have an effect on taste, productivity, etc. Why not try them both?

--

Visit insectgraphics.com for all your insect gift needs
oups.com...

Old 11-07-2007, 09:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

We had a Master Garden lot and we tried a lot of dfferent beans. Roma II
was the bush winner and Fortex was the pole winner.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Old 11-07-2007, 10:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"tuckermor" wrote:

Yeah, I've never had such a great crop in productivity and taste of
Maxibel and Fin de Bagnols. Long thin beans that taste good even when I
over cook them (not often). Tried them others. I can almost always find
them in them in any hardware store. But for better flavor, more taste,
and greater satisfaction smoke Maxibel and Fin de Bagnols. I mean, grow
Maxibel and Fin de Bagnols. Vittoria French Filet Bush Bean is another
excellent choice. I grow then next to my tomatoes and then I put a line
of radishes and carrots. Really keeps the weeds down. If you only buy
your seed packets and don't have much of a choice, those other beans are
not that bad for keepin' your stomach from rubbin' against your back
bone. But for really good haricot vert, schnittbohnen, good ol' American
string beans, it's hard to beat Maxibel, Vittoria French Filet, and Fin
de Bagnols bush beans. Think I'll go get me some right now. Remember,
when you want your family to know that your treating them right, serve
Maxibel, Vittoria French Filet, and Fin de Bagnols bush beans. Yum yum.
--
Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
Old 12-07-2007, 10:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Real good beans may be the only thing the French are good for. The
Fortex is a French bean. The Roma II is Italian though.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Old 13-07-2007, 01:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy Rose wrote:

In article ,
(Mel M Kelly) wrote:

Real good beans may be the only thing the French are good for.

I forgot to mention that the French get an added day of to clean the
graves of their family. Is that dumb?

It's a small world. No need to jostle.

Old 13-07-2007, 02:03 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

We planted both the Kentucky Wonder and Blue Lake on the trellis after
the sugar snap peas were done. They are just coming up.

For bush beans we like Tender Pod the best but also plant Green Pod and
Green Sleeves. All are far superior to any you can buy at the grocery,
fresh, frozen, or canned. Good crops so far this year in spite of little
rain in central Ohio.

For the first time ever we also had to deal with hundreds of Japanese
Beetles. They seemed to especially like the bean leaves. We had never
seen a JB in this area before this year.

Jane and Steve

Kentucky Wonder and Blue Lake Glenna Rose Edible Gardening 1 13-07-2007 06:14 AM
Blue Lake Beans Bertie Doe United Kingdom 40 16-11-2005 02:32 PM
Kentucky blue John Lawns 3 05-05-2003 11:58 PM
Kentucky Blue John Gardening 3 26-02-2003 05:03 PM
Kentucky blue John Lawns 3 26-02-2003 04:03 PM