GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   melon management (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/161539-melon-management.html)

George[_3_] 11-07-2007 12:22 PM

melon management

This is the first time we've tried to grow melons. We don't know the
variety: the seeds (from Iran) were given to us.

Anyway, they're growing. The vines are spreading - maybe 3 - 4' long.
And, flowering pretty extensively. Based on our experience with squash
and tomatoes, I'd guess they have about 60 days before the clock runs
out. I suspect this will be a problem.

So, is there anything I can do to speed things up? Like, would pinching
off most of the flowers 'focus the energy' on the remaining ones? Or,
prune off some vines, or pinch the tips?

Thanks,
George
Zone 5.5, Syracuse NY