Old 13-07-2007, 05:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Kentucky Wonder and Blue Lake

In article fc.003d0941022cace63b9aca004bdf8864.22cacf8@pmug. org,
(Glenna Rose) wrote:

writes:
In article
,
Billy Rose wrote:

In article ,
(Mel M Kelly) wrote:

Real good beans may be the only thing the French are good for.

I forgot to mention that the French get an added day of to clean the
graves of their family. Is that dumb?

It's a small world. No need to jostle.
--
Billy

We had that also when people cared about it - it was called Decoration
Day. It was common for the families of the communities to pack picnic
lunches and meet at the cemetery and clean up the grave sites. It has
evolved, for good or bad, into Memorial Day celebrated on a Monday so
there is another three-day weekend.

But Memorial Day is in memory of those who "fell in defense of the
country" (for whatever reason was popular at the time). In France, there
is a day for cleaning the graves, tombs, mausoleums of family members.
here are probably about a dozen more holidays in France that have
nothing to do with vacation.

This additional time is when the family can be together. We give lip
service to families but the Europeans step-up and make it happen by
giving them time together.

Yeah, it has consequences in other areas of French society but it seems
more important, as does maintaining small farms.

The problem as I see it is that Europeans are having to join the rush to
the bottom of the barrel because that is where the American worker is.
Because we allow ourselves to be exploited, European companies feel that
they have to cut benefits to their employees, instead of American
employees insisting on the benefits that European workers get.

This thread regarding green beans has me almost ready to plant some next
year. I've only grown them one year and was not particularly impressed
with the results. One of my sons, on the other hand, planted some in one
of their three small raised beds and had green beans all summer. Who can
say for certain why things do well in one place and not in others.

I've never had such good luck with my green beans but in the past I've
tried o grow Blue Lake beans. This year I planted my Fin de Bagnols,
Vitorrios, and Maxibels 3" apart for 18' and I have green beans at least
every other day.

BTW, their raised beds were built with the plastic-type wood someone here
talked about (based in the Seattle, WA, area) a few years back. They have
been so very happy with them, and no splinters. So thank you to whoever
mentioned it.

Just had my back deck redone with plasticized wood. I've been thinking
that I'll use it we I have to replace the frame on my lettuce patch.

Glenna

Bonne nuit, Schlaft gut.
--
Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/

Kentucky Wonder and Blue Lake James Edible Gardening 14 13-07-2007 01:03 AM
Blue Lake Beans Bertie Doe United Kingdom 40 16-11-2005 01:32 PM
Kentucky blue John Lawns 3 05-05-2003 10:58 PM
Kentucky Blue John Gardening 3 26-02-2003 04:03 PM
Kentucky blue John Lawns 3 26-02-2003 03:03 PM