Old 18-07-2007, 03:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Odd behaving Tomato

writes:
In article lg7ni.900$SM6.203@trnddc01,
"Jane Doe" wrote:

Mr.Stripy
from HomeDepot

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/54808/

Cultivar: Tigerella
Additional cultivar information: (aka Mr. Stripey)

Days to Maturity:
Late (more than 80 days) "late season tomato"

On Feb 28, 2003, Sly wrote:

This is the 3rd time I have tried to grow this tomato. I am fairly
certain that I have the hybrid version and not the heirloom. I am hoping
for more luck with this go around. Each of the previous attempts have
produced beautiful plants. But no fruit, no blossoms. My other tomatoes
do wonderfully and have great flavour. I am hoping that this one will
come throught this time. I have planted several plants this time in
hopes that they were just lonesome before! Any suggestions would be
appreciated.

Good luck
--
Billy

I've grown them every year with them behaving and bearing well. But then
I get mine at Millennium Farms, a local greenhouse whose business is based
on Mennonite growing principals and never, ever using chemicals. They
sell heirloom herbs and veggies . . . and guarantee their plants, can't
get much better than that. Did you purchase yours at a local greenhouse
or a large store? Next year, maybe start some from seed and see what
happens. It just doesn't make sense that the one variety would falter
when your others do well.

One cannot go by my tomato plant experience, however, as no one else near
me has the luck (or the tomato plants) that I do. The ones I plant
outside the yard are usually average, but they don't get as much water as
the ones in the garden. We had a meeting at a garden club member's house
yesterday; she was bragging about how well her tomato plants were growing.
When we looked at them, I stayed politely quiet since her largest one was
about the same size as my smallest one that has actually been planted in
the ground. This garden is blessed for certain because it sure isn't my
knowledge or skill!!! The thing I do is keep it all natural and it
rewards me tenfold. I know it's just plain dumb luck, but I (and my
family and friends) will keep enjoying the run as long as it lasts
(hopefully the rest of my life!).

Glenna
(still has tomato plants to give away!)

Old 18-07-2007, 05:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Feb 28, 2003, Sly wrote:

[...]

Thanks Glenna but is wasn't me. I guess I cut a little yoo much in my
reply. I t went like ths:

I have an odd behaving tomato bush, actually two. Two of them are
Mr.Stripy
from HomeDepot which I put in the ground at the end of April with many
other
varieties. Just yesterday, I noticed that the two Stripies have ZERO
fruit. Zero flowers. They are sitting in the same row as many other
varieties which have set fruit a long time ago which has already
ripened.
All the tomatoes are planted in the same soil so it's not as if it's
growing
in pure Nitrogen :*). I've never seen anything like it, but I'm curious
how
this could happen and has anyone seen this kind of behavior from a
tomato
plant before.

Any ideas?

-M
----------------------

Then I responded with:

On Feb 28, 2003, Sly wrote:

This is the 3rd time I have tried to grow this tomato. I am fairly
certain that I have the hybrid version and not the heirloom. I am hoping
for more luck with this go around. Each of the previous attempts have
produced beautiful plants. But no fruit, no blossoms. My other tomatoes
do wonderfully and have great flavour. I am hoping that this one will
come throught this time. I have planted several plants this time in
hopes that they were just lonesome before! Any suggestions would be
appreciated.

Good luck
--

My tomatoes are a little late because of a problem at the beginning of
the season but otherwise I am on schedual. Thanks for the concern.