Old 25-07-2007, 10:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Onion Seeds versus Onion Sets

That's very interesting! Thanks for the info.

I planted a set but ran short of onions so bought some young
plants/seedlings from a local nursery. With all the rain all the onions are
blackened and will have to be pulled up before they rot but the bought young
plants are definitely far healthier than the set.

I intend to grow Red Baron and had thought of Ailsa Craig but in view of
what you said about them keeping will look into other varieties.

We also plant what is known on the Allotments as "Japanese Onions" - no one
has ever queried what variety these are (I certainly haven't and those I
asked didn't know what they were other than "Japanese Onions"! Well, they
didn't do very well at all this year, due, again, to the heavy rains so I'm
planning on growing "Hi Keeper F1" over winter instead.

Who knows, however, we may have a drought next year just like last!

Regards

John

"JNTDAD" wrote in message

I have grown sets this year (Sturon, Setton and Red baron) due to local
damp conditions half the sets have grown to a reasonable size but about
50% have either bolted or the leaves have folded over early preventing
further growth - these have then lain on the wet ground and started to
rot. I have also grown Ailsa Craig from seed - started in Feb under
heated conditions in seed tray (on kitchen window sill) and when about
2.5" tall planted out 6" apart in final place in garden

The seed grown onions are still fully upright and continuing to grow
while the sets have all collapsed and I am now having to harvest early
- some are a good size (5" across) but smaller and less consistent than
the seed variety.

Unfortunately Ailsa craig are not renowned for keeping so will be
growing Red baron and Rinjsberger from seed next year.

--
JNTDAD

Old 26-07-2007, 01:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Sounds like Catawissa onions, a native American type of walking onion
very similar to the Old World native Egyptian onion.

Well, native as in "bred in the Americas" (in 1885) not as in "in the
Americas before Europeans arrived".

http://www.garys-genealogy.com/id85.htm
http://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=ALPR6
Old 27-07-2007, 05:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
z z is offline

On Jul 19, 1:48 am, "John Vanini" wrote:
Every year I have bought onion sets and have had a reasonable success rate
but I am considering, for the coming year, growing from seed. Has anyone any
experience of this and can advise me of the advantages and the
disadvantages.- and, perhaps, suggest any particular variety? I have looke4d
at the on-line catalogues but can't really make up my mind which to go for.

My reasons or wanting to change this year is that, the sets always get too
many small onions that never seem to do very well and, though they grow,
they remain fairly small. Also, I have no idea what type of onion they are
(this is because I buy them from my allotment shop and they don't seem
certain as to the type they've bought!!!)

As regards the position of my garden (which may well make a difference as to
what varieties I can grow) I live in Sussex, not far from the coast.

Regards,

John

My experience, fwitw:
1) onion seeds deactivate faster than other seeds, so try and get this
year's seeds for sure if you go that route, and don't count too
heavily on saving any extra for next year. I keep mine sealed in a
dried environment in the fridge, and after two years they're like all
dead, whereas other seeds seem to last almost forever.
2) onions come in 2 general varieties, long day and short day,
optimized for northern and southern (US anyway) climates as to when
they mature, respectively. If you plant short day onions in the north,
they will start to mature too early in the season when the days hit
like 12 hours before they had a chance to really grow, because the
growing season started later than down south. On the other hand, if
you plant long day onions in the south, they will not really ever
fully mature, as they keep waiting for those 16 hour days to tell them
it's June 22 and it's time to start making a bulb. There are also
intermediate day varieties.

Surprisingly few places know this, or know what kind they are selling.
For instance, Wethersfield is a long day onion, which I can only
remember because it was developed in Wethersfield, CT, i.e. the north.
Anyway, that might be part of your problem, wrong variety for your
location.

Tomatoes - Ace versus Early Girl versus ? Dan Musicant Edible Gardening 20 25-03-2010 12:28 PM
2007 Topps Football Factory Sealed Hobby Version Sets with all 440 Cards including Tom Brady, Peyton Mannning, Adrian Peterson Rookie and more, plus 2006 and 2005 factory sets. www.SMCCI.com Ponds 0 25-12-2007 11:01 PM
Onion Seeds versus Onion Sets John Vanini United Kingdom 7 06-08-2007 01:16 AM
Planting Onion Sets mary Gardening 0 25-06-2004 04:02 PM
Onion Sets - Second Year? Andy Sanson United Kingdom 3 20-06-2003 10:44 AM