GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Oh, how I love summer (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/162075-oh-how-i-love-summer.html)

Jon Shemitz 23-07-2007 03:06 AM

Oh, how I love summer

Dinner tonight was shrimp with sweet peppers, tomatoes, basil, garlic
and some "hand made" pasta from Trader Joes. Peppers and basil from my
greenhouse and garden, respectively; purple tomatoes from the Farmer's
Market (mine are coming along, but still green).

So good, and my son (the other omnivore in the house) picked out the
shrimp and pasta, so I got a double helping of the veges. And two
glasses of wine.

wawwiz 30-07-2007 10:20 AM

Oh, how I love summer

I have checked all around here and can not find any "Purple tomato"
plants or seeds, where can one find these things
I hear that they are almost as good as a Utah steak size tomato.
thanks

Rusty
North Texas

Jon Shemitz 30-07-2007 02:16 PM

Oh, how I love summer

wawwiz wrote:

I have checked all around here and can not find any "Purple tomato"
plants or seeds, where can one find these things
I hear that they are almost as good as a Utah steak size tomato.

Imho, the purple tomatoes are just plain the best. There's something
rich about the flavor. There are a few different varieties: the local
farmer with the best tomatoes sells mixed purples in a single bin.

Johnny's Selected Seeds always has a good selection of high-quality
seeds; Google shows tomatoseeds.net having a few varieties, but I've
never ordered from them.

They are also sometimes called "black" - I can't seem to see much
difference in color or taste. The color is more of an overlay on the
standard red; theye are neither truly purple nor deep black. Varieties
include:

Purple Cherokee
Black Krim
Black Brandywine
Purple Branywine
Purple Calabash
Black Prince

and so on.

The Cook 30-07-2007 04:43 PM

Oh, how I love summer

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 09:20:52 -0000, wawwiz wrote:

I have checked all around here and can not find any "Purple tomato"
plants or seeds, where can one find these things
I hear that they are almost as good as a Utah steak size tomato.
thanks

Rusty
North Texas

Tomato Growers Supply. I have had good luck with them.
http://www.tomatogrowers.com/index.html
--
Susan N.