Old 26-07-2007, 07:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Tim Tim is offline

Default Marigolds deter Rabbits?

I've been told that Marigolds planted around a garden will keep rabbits out.
Has anyone had any experience with this? Confirm or debunk?

Thanks,

Tim
S.New Jersey

Old 26-07-2007, 08:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

I've been told that Marigolds planted around a garden will keep rabbits out.
Has anyone had any experience with this? Confirm or debunk?

I tried this once, and the rabbits ate the marigolds. No lie.
Old 26-07-2007, 08:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Mitch" Mitch@... wrote in message

I've been told that Marigolds planted around a garden will keep rabbits
out.
Has anyone had any experience with this? Confirm or debunk?

I tried this once, and the rabbits ate the marigolds. No lie.

You're doing it all wrong. You're supposed to wear the marigolds and
strangle the rabbits.

Steve

Old 26-07-2007, 08:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"shazzbat" wrote:

"Mitch" Mitch@... wrote in message

I've been told that Marigolds planted around a garden will keep rabbits
out.
Has anyone had any experience with this? Confirm or debunk?

I tried this once, and the rabbits ate the marigolds. No lie.

You're doing it all wrong. You're supposed to wear the marigolds and
strangle the rabbits.

Steve

No, you are supposed to use the marigold flowers to season roast rabbit.
;-d
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 26-07-2007, 08:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Tim Tim is offline

We have at least three rabbits roamin our 1-1/2 acre propriety. So far,
I've planted nothing they want - they seem to be content with the clover in
the yard. I am wanting to plant some lettuce and spinach for the fall, I
think that is where the trouble will start.

I just don't have the heart to kill (or even trap) these cute little
creatures.

-Tim
S. New Jersey

Old 26-07-2007, 09:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Tim" wrote:

We have at least three rabbits roamin our 1-1/2 acre propriety. So far,
I've planted nothing they want - they seem to be content with the clover in
the yard. I am wanting to plant some lettuce and spinach for the fall, I
think that is where the trouble will start.

I just don't have the heart to kill (or even trap) these cute little
creatures.

-Tim
S. New Jersey

Try some low set hotwires.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 26-07-2007, 09:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Tim wrote:

We have at least three rabbits roamin our 1-1/2 acre propriety. So far,
I've planted nothing they want - they seem to be content with the clover in
the yard. I am wanting to plant some lettuce and spinach for the fall, I
think that is where the trouble will start.

I just don't have the heart to kill (or even trap) these cute little
creatures.

-Tim
S. New Jersey

Try to think of them as rats that hop, it helps. Although wild rabbit,
properly prepared can be delicious. then there's tree rats, aka
squirrels; and sky rats, aka pigeons.

George

Old 26-07-2007, 09:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Omelet wrote:

Try some low set hotwires.

Mine hop over the low wire and under the high one.
Well, at least bunnies don't clean you out wholesale like woodchucks or
Bambi and family!

Old 26-07-2007, 09:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Gary Woods wrote:

Omelet wrote:

Try some low set hotwires.

Mine hop over the low wire and under the high one.
Well, at least bunnies don't clean you out wholesale like woodchucks or
Bambi and family!

I must agree that bunnies are cute... but there has got to be some kind
of wire to stop them.

I have dogs.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 27-07-2007, 01:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ann Ann is offline

Omelet expounded:

I must agree that bunnies are cute... but there has got to be some kind
of wire to stop them.

I have dogs.

Dogs work. The year after I lost Molly the bunnies started to venture
into the garden. We pour male urine (!!), preferably morning urine,
around the perimeter - not in the garden, but just outside. So far it
seems to be working.
--
Ann
e-mail address is not checked

Old 27-07-2007, 02:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Thu, 26 Jul 2007 14:53:34 -0400, "Tim"
wrote:

I've been told that Marigolds planted around a garden will keep rabbits out.
Has anyone had any experience with this? Confirm or debunk?

Thanks,

Tim
S.New Jersey

Marigolds won't work.
..22 LRHP will.

Ross
Old 27-07-2007, 04:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Tim" wrote:

I've been told that Marigolds planted around a garden will keep rabbits out.
Has anyone had any experience with this? Confirm or debunk?

Thanks,

Tim
S.New Jersey

Honey, shotguns deter bunnies. Get real. (I have recipes.)

Jan
Old 27-07-2007, 02:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , Charlie wrote:

Marigolds won't work.

Bunnies may be *cute*, but they carry a schload of parasites and
disease. Fleas, worms of varying sorts, including tapeworm, Tuleremia.
I have to worm my cat on a regular schedule, every three months,
because he eliminates them and has had tapeworm in the far past. Not
to mention the damge they do to gardens, trees, etc.

The solution is not deterence. The solution is elimination. Like
George says, imagine them as rats......they will breed like rats as
well. If you are going to eat them, *do not* dress them without
wearing protection, particularly if you have any breaks in the skin on
your hands.

RWS or Gamo.

Toughen up.

Charlie

Check for pustules on the back leg meat too when you dress them out, as
well as spotty/unhealthy looking livers.

Dad taught me what to look for when eating wild rabbits at a very young
age. Obviously diseased bunny carcasses were not consumed.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 27-07-2007, 02:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Ann wrote:

Omelet expounded:

I must agree that bunnies are cute... but there has got to be some kind
of wire to stop them.

I have dogs.

Dogs work. The year after I lost Molly the bunnies started to venture
into the garden. We pour male urine (!!), preferably morning urine,
around the perimeter - not in the garden, but just outside. So far it
seems to be working.

That is interesting, but doesn't it cause a stink?

Since good fences make good neighbors (and good yard security) I have 6'
perimeter fences in the back and 5' in front. The dogs have a nice
fenced yard this way and don't bother my garden for the most part. The
pair out back was starting to lay in my flower bed so I put some tomato
cages in there to discourage them.

I don't suffer from (mammalian) garden predators. Insect predators are a
different story sometimes... :-P

I also never get raided by deer and there is a small herd around here
that often grazes right across the street.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.