Old 31-07-2007, 04:22 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default I'm sick of.....peas! What are you sick of?

Peas, peas, peas, and more peas.

Every 3-4 days, I have at least 13 gallons of peas to pick, shell, wash,
blanch, and freeze. Do this every year, but seem to have a lot more
than usual.

Not really sick of them, but they (& the work mostly) are getting rather
*old*. LOL. Was even seeing them in my sleep last night...go figure!

What have you had excess of in your garden this year that you are *sick* of?

Rae
Old 31-07-2007, 04:32 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

On 7/31/07 10:22 AM, in article , "rachael
simpson" wrote:

Peas, peas, peas, and more peas.

Every 3-4 days, I have at least 13 gallons of peas to pick, shell, wash,
blanch, and freeze. Do this every year, but seem to have a lot more
than usual.

Not really sick of them, but they (& the work mostly) are getting rather
*old*. LOL. Was even seeing them in my sleep last night...go figure!

What have you had excess of in your garden this year that you are *sick* of?

Rae

Nothing yet, but I'm just starting to harvest.

I have a recipe someplace for a "fresh pea" soup that is tasty, cool and
minty.

Old 31-07-2007, 04:39 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

simpson" wrote:

Peas, peas, peas, and more peas.

Every 3-4 days, I have at least 13 gallons of peas to pick, shell, wash,
blanch, and freeze. Do this every year, but seem to have a lot more
than usual.

Not really sick of them, but they (& the work mostly) are getting rather
*old*. LOL. Was even seeing them in my sleep last night...go figure!

What have you had excess of in your garden this year that you are *sick* of?

Rae

Nothing yet, but I'm just starting to harvest.

I have a recipe someplace for a "fresh pea" soup that is tasty, cool and
minty.

I'll take that recipe, please, if/whenever you have time to find it & copy.

BTW: don't think email went thru yesterday, but you have snail mail on
the way...

rae

Old 31-07-2007, 05:29 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Every 3-4 days, I have at least 13 gallons of peas to pick, shell,
wash, blanch, and freeze.

We're not doing anything on that scale, but we do have lots of hot
peppers (about 2 dozen plants, roughly, most of which are bearing
well). And, you see, one doesn't put very much hot pepper in each
dish.

My boyfriend assures me that we'll just have more to freeze this way.
I'm wondering whether he is planning on activating the currently
unused basement chest freezer just for his peppers :-).

As for peas, we planted only a short row of edible pod peas (reduces
the shelling, at least). Next year I'll grow more if I can think of
where to put them.

Old 31-07-2007, 05:39 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

On Jul 31, 10:22 am, rachael simpson
wrote:
Peas, peas, peas, and more peas.

Every 3-4 days, I have at least 13 gallons of peas to pick, shell, wash,
blanch, and freeze. Do this every year, but seem to have a lot more
than usual.

Not really sick of them, but they (& the work mostly) are getting rather
*old*. LOL. Was even seeing them in my sleep last night...go figure!

What have you had excess of in your garden this year that you are *sick* of?

Rae

Malabar spinach. Self sows. Grows very fast and willl vine and take
over everything. If you don't eat em you got to weed em. Best eaten
fresh.

Old 31-07-2007, 05:49 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

wrote:
Peas, peas, peas, and more peas.

Every 3-4 days, I have at least 13 gallons of peas to pick, shell, wash,
blanch, and freeze. Do this every year, but seem to have a lot more
than usual.

Not really sick of them, but they (& the work mostly) are getting rather
*old*. LOL. Was even seeing them in my sleep last night...go figure!

What have you had excess of in your garden this year that you are *sick* of?

Rae

Malabar spinach. Self sows. Grows very fast and willl vine and take
over everything. If you don't eat em you got to weed em. Best eaten
fresh.

The local deer took out our Malabar this year and almost everything
else. Shot one in the ass with my BB gun who was munching our baby
Japanese maples.

Guess you know sweet potato vines can be used the same way.

Bill

PS new neighbor asked if his dad can hunt on our lands.

Duh

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Old 31-07-2007, 05:51 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Jim Kingdon wrote:
Every 3-4 days, I have at least 13 gallons of peas to pick, shell,
wash, blanch, and freeze.

We're not doing anything on that scale, but we do have lots of hot
peppers (about 2 dozen plants, roughly, most of which are bearing
well). And, you see, one doesn't put very much hot pepper in each
dish.

You can make hot pepper vingar...if y'all like hot sauces...
I have put up 6 quart jars of it so far with my extra cayennes.

My boyfriend assures me that we'll just have more to freeze this way.
I'm wondering whether he is planning on activating the currently
unused basement chest freezer just for his peppers :-).

As for peas, we planted only a short row of edible pod peas (reduces
the shelling, at least). Next year I'll grow more if I can think of
where to put them.

our peas are crowders & black eyes varieties.

main type (ie, the ones I am constantly picking) are dixielees, purple
hull, and cow-eyes
Old 31-07-2007, 05:53 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

William Wagner wrote:

wrote:
[...]

lol, we had one trying to hunt in our pasture last year.....dummy, he
was. had another dummy who's best hunting dog thought our horse here at
the house was a deer...real bright I'd say.
Old 31-07-2007, 06:04 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Charlie wrote:
On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 10:22:31 -0400, rachael simpson
wrote:

M u s t r e s i s t......... d o n ' t t y p e

G e o r........No........must not say it......

Yes, say it! NO! must not type Bu................no!!!!!!!

BUSH beans!

Charlie

lolololol...........yeah, I'd say you got it bbbbaaaaddd!!!

although, i thought you might've said habaneros...lol

Old 31-07-2007, 06:07 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

William Wagner wrote:

wrote:
[...]

By Duh I meant it was a given or please do. These guys hunt in Montana
every year. Not stupid by a long shot. Pun.

Serious hunters that eat their kills.

Deer here eat everything as do the new ground hogs that came here in
the last three years. I'd guess habitat loss is the reason for the
encroaching loss of our gardens.

Bill who has a deer about 30 feet from my house often.

--

S Jersey USA Zone 5 Shade
Old 31-07-2007, 06:20 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

William Wagner wrote:
In article ,
rachael simpson wrote:

William Wagner wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Yeah, I figured that.........but these self-proclaimed "rednecks" around
here aren't too bright, if they think they are going to find deer in
fenced in pastures....

Old 31-07-2007, 06:34 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

simpson" wrote:

Peas, peas, peas, and more peas.

Every 3-4 days, I have at least 13 gallons of peas to pick, shell, wash,
blanch, and freeze. Do this every year, but seem to have a lot more
than usual.

Not really sick of them, but they (& the work mostly) are getting rather
*old*. LOL. Was even seeing them in my sleep last night...go figure!

What have you had excess of in your garden this year that you are *sick* of?

Rae

Nothing yet, but I'm just starting to harvest.

I have a recipe someplace for a "fresh pea" soup that is tasty, cool and
minty.

I'll take that recipe, please, if/whenever you have time to find it & copy.

BTW: don't think email went thru yesterday, but you have snail mail on
the way...

rae

Showed this AM, but I'm being lazy

Cold Pea Soup
From Linda Larsen,
INGREDIENTS:

* 1-1/2 cups frozen baby peas, thawed
* 10 oz. can ready to use chicken broth
* 1 cup half and half
* 1 celery stalk, chopped
* 1 lettuce leaf, torn into pieces
* 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh mint
* 1/4 tsp. salt
* 1/8 tsp. pepper

PREPARATION:
Combine all ingredients in food processor or blender, cover, and process or
blend until smooth. Chill thoroughly before serving. Sprinkle a little more
fresh mint on each serving. 4 servings

Old 31-07-2007, 08:48 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Tim Tim is offline

Summer Squash and Zucchini.

I can't go over to my in-law's house without returning with a bushel full.

I think they're almost done though. Thank heaven!

-Tim
S. New Jersey, 6b

Old 31-07-2007, 08:58 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

WOW!!! I can't believe squash doesn't have a vote yet. It certainly has
mine.
Steve
(on my way to the garden to pick it again )