Old 03-08-2007, 11:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Q: Bush bean disease?

Hey Folks:

I've never grown bush beans before. My Blue Lake bean
seedlings are developing a lighter green area on the
leaf tips (about 1/4 to 1/2 of the area of the leaf,
starting at the tip) and curling *upwards.*

Some of the seedlings came in stunted and the leaves
blistered, so I pulled them and will burn them.

Only a few of the larger plants are affected by the
light tissue & curling.

No bugs are in residence. Topsoil from under the alders
in my yard & 30 year old composted cow poop is in the bins.
I put codfish bonemeal and some prilled lime in the bins
before planting. I fertilize with a fish emulsion made of
razor clam gurry. (It's a local product. It stinks, so it's
probably good stuff. The tomato plants sure like it!)

The bins are lined with felted Typar. (Driveway cloth.)

I don't know if I have a disease or a management problem
going here, but I suspect disease. The seed came from
Lilly Miller (Ferry-Morse) at the feed store.

Everything else in the little pocket greenhouse is thriving
like crazy.

I don't have a digital camera to take photos...

Any suggestions?

TIA,

Jan in Alaska
Old 05-08-2007, 08:58 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Jan Flora wrote:

[...]

Nevermind. We have bugs. Little black flies on the beans
(the gal at the feed store says they are fungus gnats -- ?)
and a few very fat aphid on the cukes. Aphid occur naturally
here, outdoors. Not too worried about them, but I did squirt
them with soapy water today.

I'm going to set a small fan up in the gh to keep the air
moving, to see if that'll discourage the little flies.
Will probably pull the beans in a few days and plant
something else, if they keep going downhill fast.

Apparently the little flies came in with the soil I used
in the bins.

I'm putting some yellow sticky traps out there tonight.
They may not do a lot of good, but they'll make me feel like
I'm doing *something.*

I think the beans have developed pretty classic symptoms
of bean mosaic virus. But that's just a guess, from looking
around the 'net a little bit.

Jan
Old 05-08-2007, 04:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Jan Flora wrote:
In article ,
Jan Flora wrote:

[...]

Could we change the name of "Bush" beans to something more palatable,
lie Freedom Beans, or something?
Old 06-08-2007, 07:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
doofy wrote:

Jan Flora wrote:
In article ,
Jan Flora wrote:

[...]

Okay, short green beans. How's that?

I can't stand Shrub either. He's a disgrace, to say the least.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Jan Flora wrote:
Could we change the name of "Bush" beans to something more palatable,
lie Freedom Beans, or something?

Okay, short green beans. How's that?

I can't stand Shrub either. He's a disgrace, to say the least.

Back in 1999-2000, there was a billboard in Berkeley, CA, that said
"Just because you survived drugs, doesn't mean your kids will."

Someone spray painted out "drugs" and wrote "Bush". Man, was that
prophetic. Funny at the time. Not so funny now.