Old 08-08-2007, 04:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

Default How do you use your excess bell peppers?

Of course they like to all mature at the same time. So what should I
do with all of them? I like the crunch but I can't eat too many at
once because they don't agree with me.

Drying or freezing will naturally lose the crunchiness.

Any good recipes that use a lot of them?

Old 08-08-2007, 04:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

"James" ha scritto nel messaggio
ps.com...
Of course they like to all mature at the same time. So what should I
do with all of them? I like the crunch but I can't eat too many at
once because they don't agree with me.

Drying or freezing will naturally lose the crunchiness.

Any good recipes that use a lot of them?

Make a bell peeper sauce( oil , onions, tomatoes sauce, minced peppers) then
preserve for winter. Or preserve them roasted and then under oil.
They are not crunchy but good.

Old 08-08-2007, 05:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

"James" wrote

Of course they like to all mature at the same time. So what should I
do with all of them? I like the crunch but I can't eat too many at
once because they don't agree with me.

Drying or freezing will naturally lose the crunchiness.

I don't grow them, so I don't usually have much in the way of
excess bell peppers, but if I do, I dice them and freeze them.
They come in handy for lots of things, soups or crab cakes, etc.
Omelettes. I actually buy diced green peppers on occasion when
vegetables are on sale. Ditto onion.

nancy

Old 08-08-2007, 05:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" wrote in
:

I actually buy diced green peppers on occasion when
vegetables are on sale. Ditto onion.

What's a ditto onion?

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Old 08-08-2007, 05:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
James dropped this turd
ps.com: in
rec.food.cooking

Of course they like to all mature at the same time. So what should I
do with all of them? I like the crunch but I can't eat too many at
once because they don't agree with me.

Drying or freezing will naturally lose the crunchiness.

Any good recipes that use a lot of them?

I guess my question would be how many do you have? I like to dice
them and put them in a hot wok with seasoned oil and do a stir fry
with them. Of course I add meat and other things to the stir fry.
For some reason I really like them with a course grind of black
pepper.

I agree with Michael; it would be good to know how many you have. Another
question to ask would be, do they bother you more if they are raw or cooked?

To use them cooked, I'll make sausage, onions and peppers (that's excellent
as a sandwich, too!), fajitas, I'll toss them on a pizza, I'll grill them
(they're excellent grilled and wrapped in bacon, too), I'll use them in
kabobs....

To use them raw, I'll slice them into wedges and use in place of bread for
tuna salad, I'll use in green salads, I'll slice them and coat them with
cream cheese, or I'll just slice them and dip them in ranch dressing.

Anyway, I hope this helps!

kili

Old 08-08-2007, 05:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

On Aug 8, 9:19 am, James wrote:
Of course they like to all mature at the same time. So what should I
do with all of them? I like the crunch but I can't eat too many at
once because they don't agree with me.

Drying or freezing will naturally lose the crunchiness.

Any good recipes that use a lot of them?

I blanch them (after cleaning) and then stuff them with a rice/steamed
ground beef/diced tomatoes/herbs & seasoning mix, and top with lots
of shredded cheese. I then freeze them in singles, and if they're big
peppers and stuffed well, one pepper will make two entrees for me.

N.

Old 08-08-2007, 05:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 08 Aug 2007 07:19:49 -0700, James
wrote:

Of course they like to all mature at the same time. So what should I
do with all of them? I like the crunch but I can't eat too many at
once because they don't agree with me.

Drying or freezing will naturally lose the crunchiness.

Any good recipes that use a lot of them?

I made the following recipe last weekend and froze the leftovers. I
had 6 green bells but it called for reds. I used way more veggies
than the recipe called for but only had one can of diced tomatoes. so
I used a few tiny cans of tomato sauce. After I applied loads of
pepper and a bit of salt I put the pork slices in a big bowl of flour
and tossed it before flash frying. I also buttered the noodles and
served the noodles, veggies, and meat slightly overlapping each other.

It was a wonderfully simple meal. I froze most of it as there was
only two of us eating. When I re-serve I'll do fresh pork but I have
not doubt it will be just as good second time around.

Lou

Jagerschnitzel
SOURCE: Cooking Light YEAR: June 2000 PAGE: 212

INGREDIENTS FOR 4 SERVINGS:
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
3 cups thinly sliced mushrooms
3 cups coarsely chopped red bell pepper
2 cups coarsely chopped onion
1 cup thinly sliced carrot
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon paprika
2 tablespoons water
1 pound pork tenderloin
1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
Cooking spray
3 cups hot cooked yolk-free noodles (about 6 ounces uncooked pasta)
Chopped fresh parsley (optional)

INSTRUCTIONS:
Pork tenderloin slices are pounded into thin cutlets (or Schnitzel)
and served with a vegetable stew in this homage to Alpine hunters.

1. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add
mushrooms, bell pepper, onion, carrot, and garlic; saute 10 minutes.
Add tomatoes; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until
vegetables are tender. Combine flour, paprika, and water in a small
bowl. Stir into tomato mixture; cook 3 minutes or until slightly
thick. Keep warm.

2. Trim fat from pork; cut pork crosswise into 16 pieces. Place each
piece between 2 sheets of heavy-duty plastic wrap, and flatten each
piece to 1/4-inch thickness using a meat mallet or rolling pin.
Sprinkle both sides of pork with black pepper and salt. Place a large
nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat until
hot. Add pork; cook 4 minutes on each side or until done.

3. Serve vegetable mixture over noodles; top with pork slices. Garnish
with parsley, if desired. Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1-1/4 cups
sauce, 3/4 cup noodles, and 4 pork slices).

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION:
CALORIES 438 (19% from fat); FAT 9.2g (sat 2g, mono 3.6g, poly 2.7g);
PROTEIN 35.2g; CARB 55.4g; FIBER 5.9g; CHOL 79mg; IRON 4.7mg; SODIUM
419mg; CALC 73mg
Old 08-08-2007, 05:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

"hahabogus" wrote

"Nancy Young" wrote

I actually buy diced green peppers on occasion when
vegetables are on sale. Ditto onion.

What's a ditto onion?

They're small and round and you can't tell one from the next.

nancy

Old 08-08-2007, 06:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

James wrote:

Of course they like to all mature at the same time. So what should I
do with all of them? I like the crunch but I can't eat too many at
once because they don't agree with me.

Drying or freezing will naturally lose the crunchiness.

Any good recipes that use a lot of them?

Any excess peppers get diced up, sauteed until cooked way down and
almost falling apart and then made into red pepper bread. Just
add them to any white bread recipe toward the end of mixing.
Add sauteed onions, too.

--
Reg

Old 08-08-2007, 06:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

In article om,
James wrote:

Of course they like to all mature at the same time. So what should I
do with all of them? I like the crunch but I can't eat too many at
once because they don't agree with me.

Drying or freezing will naturally lose the crunchiness.

Any good recipes that use a lot of them?

Will they turn red if you let them hang? If not skip this post but if so
just let 'em hang. Eat what you want at your own pace. When pepper turns
red, blacked the skin with a flame and peel it off. Slice in half and
remove seeds. Slather with olive oil and place on hot grill until you
get grill marks. Turn over and repeat. Serve with a squeeze of lime
juice as an accompaniment to most any dish.
--
FB - FFF

Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/

Old 08-08-2007, 07:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

On Aug 8, 10:19?am, James wrote:
Of course they like to all mature at the same time. So what should I
do with all of them? I like the crunch but I can't eat too many at
once because they don't agree with me.

Drying or freezing will naturally lose the crunchiness.

Any good recipes that use a lot of them?

You can prepare and freeze the finished dish.

Pepper steak freezes well, as do stuffed peppers.

I usually saute a whole mess of peppers, some with onions... freeze in
one and two cup portions, then add to stews and soups during winter...
also good to top omelets, burgers, and bake into corn muffins. I also
like to add bell peppers to some of my home made tomato sauce.

Even though I grow a lot I don't usually end up with a lot of extra
bell peppers, they're one of the things I rarely give any away.
Somehow they seem to get eaten in salads, very good diced into cottage
cheese, tuna salad, slaw, etc... and I like fried peppers in so many
things, goes great with scrambbled eggs, a western omelet, lox n'
eggs, salami n' eggs. Sometimes when I feel ambitious I'll make up a
big batch of fried rice and top it with sweet n' sour chicken w/
peppers and pineapple, with snow peas and green onion, etc. Peppers
are very good in stir frys.

Bell peppers are easy to use up.

http://www.recipeamerica.com/recipes/pepper.htm

Of course you can use up a lot of bell peppers as pizza topping, or
diced into sloppy joe.

Here, this looks mighty tasty, and can be frozen:
http://www.foodreference.com/html/bell-pep-pie-830.html

Sheldon

Old 08-08-2007, 07:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

"Pandora" wrote:

Make a bell peeper sauce.

Is that like big pecker sauce? hehe

Sheldon

Old 08-08-2007, 08:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

On Aug 8, 1:30 pm, "readandpostrosie" wrote:
my husband, the gardener, slices all the leftover peppers and throws them in
the freezer!

"James" wrote in message

ps.com...

Of course they like to all mature at the same time. So what should I
do with all of them? I like the crunch but I can't eat too many at
once because they don't agree with me.

Drying or freezing will naturally lose the crunchiness.

Any good recipes that use a lot of them?- Hide quoted text -

Some how I ended up with 25 plants including extras from other
gardeners. I started Carnavil Mix seeds and got yellow, orange,
purple, and green peppers. Guess I'll leave some to turn red.

Both cooked and raw gives me problems if I eat them too late in the
day.

Old 08-08-2007, 09:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible,rec.food.cooking

hahabogus wrote:
"Nancy Young" wrote in
:

I actually buy diced green peppers on occasion when
vegetables are on sale. Ditto onion.

What's a ditto onion?

An onion that divides when you plant an onion set. ;-)

Good morning or good evening depending upon your location. I want to ask you the most important question of your life. Your joy or sorrow for all eternity depends upon your answer. The question is: Are you saved? It is not a question of how good [email protected] United Kingdom 0 22-04-2005 05:07 AM
Bell Peppers Mira Gardening 2 05-09-2004 06:43 PM
Bell peppers and rabbits, raccoons, possums, etc. Carol Adams Texas 11 27-05-2003 06:32 AM
Hot weather tomatoes & bell peppers ? Gene S Texas 17 15-04-2003 04:45 PM
What kind of critter steals bell peppers? Carol Adams Texas 0 05-04-2003 12:09 PM