GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Celery in my garden (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/163037-celery-my-garden.html)

Doogie 14-08-2007 03:00 AM

Celery in my garden

Hi,
Our local store had celery to plant in the garden and so I did this
year. However, I am not sure what to look for to determine if it is
ready or not. I was told by someone that it is similiar to carrots
and that the celery itself would grow underground, I was told by
someone else that isn't the case. In any case, I am not seeing what
looks like celery under the ground or above it. Any thoughts?

Lar 14-08-2007 04:26 AM

Celery in my garden

Doogie wrote:
Hi,
Our local store had celery to plant in the garden and so I did this
year. However, I am not sure what to look for to determine if it is
ready or not. I was told by someone that it is similiar to carrots
and that the celery itself would grow underground, I was told by
someone else that isn't the case. In any case, I am not seeing what
looks like celery under the ground or above it. Any thoughts?

The stalks will be growing above ground though if they are not kept in a
moist environment they may not produce well.

There is a type of celery called "cutting celery" that does not produce
stalks...the leaves are used in salads.

Lar

doofy 14-08-2007 04:26 AM

Celery in my garden

Doogie wrote:
Hi,
Our local store had celery to plant in the garden and so I did this
year. However, I am not sure what to look for to determine if it is
ready or not. I was told by someone that it is similiar to carrots
and that the celery itself would grow underground, I was told by
someone else that isn't the case. In any case, I am not seeing what
looks like celery under the ground or above it. Any thoughts?

Celery would be above ground. Celeriac, or celery root, would be below
ground. Further than that, I'm no help.

[email protected] 14-08-2007 07:21 AM

Celery in my garden

In article
.com,
says...
Hi,
Our local store had celery to plant in the garden and so I did this
year. However, I am not sure what to look for to determine if it is
ready or not. I was told by someone that it is similiar to carrots
and that the celery itself would grow underground, I was told by
someone else that isn't the case. In any case, I am not seeing what
looks like celery under the ground or above it. Any thoughts?

When I have bought celery seedlings, they looked like little tiny
celery bunches.

And they all grow above ground.

When they are ready, they look just like a celery bunch that is
available from the local supermarket.

Perhaps you aren't giving it enough time? These things take
weeks and weeks.

--
Get Credit Where Credit Is Due
http://www.cardreport.com/

Doogie 15-08-2007 02:41 PM

Celery in my garden

Perhaps you aren't giving it enough time? These things take
weeks and weeks.

That could be, although they've been in the ground for a couple months
now. With it being the middle of August I was thinking we don't have
a ton of time left as far as vegetables producting goes. But I'm new
to the celery aspect of this so am not real sure.

James 15-08-2007 04:59 PM

Celery in my garden

On Aug 15, 9:41 am, Doogie wrote:
Perhaps you aren't giving it enough time? These things take
weeks and weeks.

That could be, although they've been in the ground for a couple months
now. With it being the middle of August I was thinking we don't have
a ton of time left as far as vegetables producting goes. But I'm new
to the celery aspect of this so am not real sure.

If you mound soil or mulch around the plant as it grows, you'll get
blanched ones like expensive gourmet celery.

Some times when soil conditions arn't right and plants are stunted.
Also plants stunted sitting at the nursery may not recover.

Billy Rose 15-08-2007 05:07 PM

Celery in my garden

In article om,
Doogie wrote:

Perhaps you aren't giving it enough time? These things take
weeks and weeks.

That could be, although they've been in the ground for a couple months
now. With it being the middle of August I was thinking we don't have
a ton of time left as far as vegetables producting goes. But I'm new
to the celery aspect of this so am not real sure.

Celery is a good, but difficult, to grow. In supermarkets, they are
among the most heavily laden with pesticide residues.

http://www.gardenersnet.com/vegetable/celery.htm
--
FB - FFF

Billy