GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Rocks on top of a plant pot (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/163054-rocks-top-plant-pot.html)

Omelet 15-08-2007 06:31 PM

Rocks on top of a plant pot

In article
,
Billy Rose wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article ,
"Dave" wrote:

Gravel or similar rocks
are better off on the bottom to help prevent toppling over.

Or some lead bars. (A really good idea actually if it's not an edible).

If you want to try THAT solution, e-mail me.
I might be able to help you get free lead if you want to work for it.

Is dispersing lead into the environment a good idea?

Solidified bar lead is not much of a hazard, especially if you bother to
seal it.

Which I would.

I can collect literally tons of it from my local range hint
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Billy Rose 15-08-2007 07:02 PM

Rocks on top of a plant pot

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy Rose wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article ,
"Dave" wrote:

Gravel or similar rocks
are better off on the bottom to help prevent toppling over.

Or some lead bars. (A really good idea actually if it's not an edible).

If you want to try THAT solution, e-mail me.
I might be able to help you get free lead if you want to work for it.

Is dispersing lead into the environment a good idea?

Solidified bar lead is not much of a hazard, especially if you bother to
seal it.

Which I would.

I can collect literally tons of it from my local range hint

Unfortunately, it's not magnetic. How do you collect it? Sieve? Back in
the day, there was just an earthen berm behind the targets. Lost my
taste for blood. Now, I just trust to my varmint gun, 12 gauge.
--
FB - FFF

Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/

Omelet 15-08-2007 07:29 PM

Rocks on top of a plant pot

In article
,
Billy Rose wrote:

Is dispersing lead into the environment a good idea?

Solidified bar lead is not much of a hazard, especially if you bother to
seal it.

Which I would.

I can collect literally tons of it from my local range hint

Unfortunately, it's not magnetic. How do you collect it? Sieve?

By hand. It's good exercise and I can collect about 100 lbs. with
roughly 8 hours work and that was not steady picking. (The hill country
is pretty at sunrise). Never underestimate the poundage of lead in a
very old pistol berm. And a LOT of it is exposed.

I've not check out the rifle berms yet. I'm waiting for cooler weather.
And I have to get there before the bench shooters check in. g

I actually have considered a shovel and re-sieving it at home with the
hose but then I'd want to pick a LOT of the rocks out before doing the
melting. I'm well aware rocks will float to the top of liquid lead, but
still...

Back in
the day, there was just an earthen berm behind the targets. Lost my
taste for blood. Now, I just trust to my varmint gun, 12 gauge.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

There is no blood in paper targets using a 9mm or a .40. ;-)
Or a .22 if you want to conserve $$$.

Never underestimate the lead harvestability in that berm.
And you are doing momma Earth a favor.

I use an outdoor range too.

And they don't give a rats ass if I pick up lead as long as I'm not
interfering with shooters.

Get there early. ;-)

I have an annual membership.

Sunrise, breakfast taco, early morning songbirds, talk radio...

sigh I'll be glad when summer is over.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Ann 15-08-2007 08:46 PM

Rocks on top of a plant pot

Omelet expounded:

By hand. It's good exercise and I can collect about 100 lbs. with
roughly 8 hours work and that was not steady picking. (The hill country
is pretty at sunrise). Never underestimate the poundage of lead in a
very old pistol berm. And a LOT of it is exposed.

You collecting lead to cast your own bullets? Or just because it's a
good thing to do?
--
Ann, gardening in Zone 6a
South of Boston, Massachusetts

Omelet 15-08-2007 08:52 PM

Rocks on top of a plant pot

In article ,
Ann wrote:

Omelet expounded:

By hand. It's good exercise and I can collect about 100 lbs. with
roughly 8 hours work and that was not steady picking. (The hill country
is pretty at sunrise). Never underestimate the poundage of lead in a
very old pistol berm. And a LOT of it is exposed.

You collecting lead to cast your own bullets? Or just because it's a
good thing to do?

3 reasons (4 actually):

Casting my own bullets to save money

Current money value of the lead alloy for resale if I cast it into bars
for resale (which I have not done yet)

Removing it from the berms as a benefit to our universal mom

Oh, and it's good exercise and works up a sweat.

It's a win-win activity. :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Billy[_4_] 15-08-2007 09:02 PM

Rocks on top of a plant pot

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

Sunrise, breakfast taco, early morning songbirds, talk radio...

sigh I'll be glad when summer is over.

Sunrise, breakfast taco and beer, early morning songbirds, sounds good
to me but, talk radio? I think I'd even pass up Amy Goodman for song
birds, real song birds and breakfast beer. Some birding site I went to
had (what appear to be very blue) jays described as song birds!!?
Uh-huh, yeah, sure, right. Ours squawk. I trust yours are more melodic.

It seems strange to me that I was wandering around in the alfalfa fields
and drainage ditches of southern California with a .22 at the age of
five. My killin' fields are wall to wall housing tracts now. Once there
were rabbits, pheasants, and lots of other unlucky critters that
happened upon a boy with a gun.

I'm content now with just the smell of gun oil, when I do periodic
maintenance. The only thing I shoot off now is my mouth.

Glad when summer is over? You lost your mind girl? Get in out'en the
Sun. My understanding of Texas is when it stops being boiling hot, it
commences to freeze over or it is duck and cover season for hurricanes.
Why would anyone want summer to be over? That's just plain crazy.

Well, time to go plant some more salad. We got company and we're rippin'
through it pretty darned fast. Think I'll look in and see how my
breakfast beer provisions are holding up.

Ciao

Sheldon[_1_] 15-08-2007 10:56 PM

Rocks on top of a plant pot

Omelet wrote:
Sheldon wrote:
"JS" wrote:

If you don't mind, can we stick with my original question,
whether it is OK or not to put some landscape rocks
on the surface of a pot to make it heavier? It is just a
simple YES or NO answer !!

I'd say it's fine for the plant to place whatever you like on the
surface of the *pot*, but not necessarily directly on the potting
soil.

Actually, the person that suggested putting the weight in the BOTTOM of
the pot had a rather good idea.

Actually had you not taken my one statement out of context and read
and comprehended my *entire* post then you might realize that placing
rocks into the bottom of the pot is not such a good idea... it robs
space from the plant roots (the more rocks the more space they rob)
and really doesn't add a lot of weight as it displaces soil that when
moist weighs almost as much as the rocks. And rocks don't hold
moisture or help with aeration, better to use some broken clay pots -
which of course don't weigh very much. A larger and/or heavier pot is
the better solution. Staking the pot down is not such a great
solution either... any wind strong enough to blow an unsecured pot
about is likely strong enough to rip the plant out of the pot,
especially if it's some sort of tall plant, and most especially if
there are root space stealing rocks. In heavy wind storms potted
plants (and all other items that could become missles) should be
secured indoors.

MajorOz 16-08-2007 12:34 AM

Rocks on top of a plant pot

On Aug 15, 1:29 pm, Omelet wrote:

I actually have considered a shovel and re-sieving it at home with the
hose but then I'd want to pick a LOT of the rocks out before doing the
melting. I'm well aware rocks will float to the top of liquid lead, but
still...

I really hope that was humor ( the printed word lacks tone).
Depending on their composition, rocks in molten lead can become small
grenades, with nasty effects.
We need all the gardeners we can get.

cheers

oz, exhausted from the heat: 104 on the deck today.

Omelet 16-08-2007 03:01 AM

Rocks on top of a plant pot

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

Sunrise, breakfast taco, early morning songbirds, talk radio...

sigh I'll be glad when summer is over.

Sunrise, breakfast taco and beer, early morning songbirds, sounds good
to me but, talk radio? I think I'd even pass up Amy Goodman for song
birds, real song birds and breakfast beer. Some birding site I went to
had (what appear to be very blue) jays described as song birds!!?
Uh-huh, yeah, sure, right. Ours squawk. I trust yours are more melodic.

Mostly Mockingbirds actually. :-)
WOAI is usually pretty entertaining.

I just keep it low so I can hear the birds. Once I'm done eating and get
out of the truck, the radio goes OFF.

It seems strange to me that I was wandering around in the alfalfa fields
and drainage ditches of southern California with a .22 at the age of
five. My killin' fields are wall to wall housing tracts now. Once there
were rabbits, pheasants, and lots of other unlucky critters that
happened upon a boy with a gun.

Bummer. :-( I can still nail squirrels around here and Deer graze across
the street, but those are safe as I AM within city limits. A BB gun is
all I can get away with and after looking it up, the city has an
ordinance against those too, AND SLING SHOTS!!! :-P

I don't see many rabbits tho'.
Fire Ants have done hit point damage to the Bobwhite quail population
too.

I'm content now with just the smell of gun oil, when I do periodic
maintenance. The only thing I shoot off now is my mouth.

Mmm... Gun oil... Makes a good perfume. G (just kidding, but I have no
objections to that smell).

Why don't you shoot any more? Target Practice is a good personal
challenge.

Glad when summer is over? You lost your mind girl? Get in out'en the
Sun. My understanding of Texas is when it stops being boiling hot, it
commences to freeze over or it is duck and cover season for hurricanes.
Why would anyone want summer to be over? That's just plain crazy.

Not true! This past, cool spring was wonderful and Fall is fantastic.
You are seriously mistaken about South/Central Hill Country weather.
Winters are fairly short and only intense a month or two out of the year.

Well, time to go plant some more salad. We got company and we're rippin'
through it pretty darned fast. Think I'll look in and see how my
breakfast beer provisions are holding up.

Ciao

Broccoli and Chard do well here in the Winter. I might try Cauliflower
this year too.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Omelet 16-08-2007 03:04 AM

Rocks on top of a plant pot

In article .com,
Sheldon wrote:

[...]

Shel' dear. I always have put gravel in the bottom of pots to facilitate
good pot drainage. I was taught to do that by my Botany professor when I
used to work for him and take care of the class greenhouse. He also
always put a pot sherd over the hole or holes.

But, I use really big pots when I do that. 1 gallon on up to 25 gallon
depending on what I am planting. ;-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Omelet 16-08-2007 03:05 AM

Rocks on top of a plant pot

In article .com,
MajorOz wrote:

On Aug 15, 1:29 pm, Omelet wrote:

I actually have considered a shovel and re-sieving it at home with the
hose but then I'd want to pick a LOT of the rocks out before doing the
melting. I'm well aware rocks will float to the top of liquid lead, but
still...

I really hope that was humor ( the printed word lacks tone).
Depending on their composition, rocks in molten lead can become small
grenades, with nasty effects.
We need all the gardeners we can get.

cheers

oz, exhausted from the heat: 104 on the deck today.

lol It's why I prefer to remove them! They will only do that if they
have some water content.

Sand and dirt tho' do float to the top.

And yes, it was humor which is why it was worded the way it was.
I hope to gods anyone that is planning on doing led casting jolly well
reads up on it first!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Jan Flora 18-08-2007 03:12 AM

Rocks on top of a plant pot

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article ,
"JS" wrote:

Bill,

If you don't mind, can we stick with my original question,
whether it is OK or not to put some landscape rocks
on the surface of a pot to make it heavier? It is just a
simple YES or NO answer !!

JIMMY

I've used rocks as a mulch more than once. I've never killed anything
doing that. I mostly do that for succulents tho'.

I doubt that it'd hurt anything. Just watch for excess soil compaction.

I've got pebbles on top of the soil in my herb pots here outside the
door, to keep my hens from eating the potting soil. I don't know why the
biddies like the soil, but they do.

The plants are doing a lot better with the pebbles than they did with
the potting soil being disturbed and removed all the time.

Jan

Pennyaline 18-08-2007 08:28 PM

Rocks on top of a plant pot

Omelet wrote:
Shel' dear. I always have put gravel in the bottom of pots to facilitate
good pot drainage. I was taught to do that by my Botany professor when I
used to work for him and take care of the class greenhouse. He also
always put a pot sherd over the hole or holes.

But, I use really big pots when I do that. 1 gallon on up to 25 gallon
depending on what I am planting. ;-)

But did you put in enough gravel or pot shards to hold the containers
down in a high wind? That is the OPs problem.

Billy[_4_] 18-08-2007 09:49 PM

Rocks on top of a plant pot

In article ,
Pennyaline wrote:

Omelet wrote:
Shel' dear. I always have put gravel in the bottom of pots to facilitate
good pot drainage. I was taught to do that by my Botany professor when I
used to work for him and take care of the class greenhouse. He also
always put a pot sherd over the hole or holes.

But, I use really big pots when I do that. 1 gallon on up to 25 gallon
depending on what I am planting. ;-)

But did you put in enough gravel or pot shards to hold the containers
down in a high wind? That is the OPs problem.

Actually, Omlet was responding to another of Shelly's ill conceived
constructions of reality, which by the way didn't address OP's problem
either.

To answer OP's question, you would need to know the size of the pot, and
its weight with soil and plant, and the height of the plant and how much
surface area opposed the wind, and most importantly an upper limit to
wind gusts. Obviously, Hurricane Dean would have blown the plant over,
if not away. Relatively speaking, lowering the center of gravity is
advantageous to the verticality of the pot.

Why don't you ask Shelly? He is full of . . . answers, of varying
quality. Maybe you'll get lucky.

Sheldon[_1_] 19-08-2007 03:13 AM

Rocks on top of a plant pot

Billy Six Toes mumbles:
Pennyaline wrote:
Omelet wrote:
[...]

The more you attempt to sound intelligent the more apparent how dumb
you are.

Placing pot shards and/or stones in a pot will add no more weight
than the soil it displaces, and will in time create air pockets as
the plant roots develop.

And if you weren't functionally illiterate you'd have comprehended the
concept of obtaining heavier/larger pots... and the warning to bring
all potential missles indoors during periods of high wind. Seems most
everyone else can comprehend the written word, but not the inbred
Hilly Billy