GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Fuyu Persimmons Sunburning (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/164689-fuyu-persimmons-sunburning.html)

The Ranger[_1_] 11-09-2007 05:55 PM

Fuyu Persimmons Sunburning

My Fuyu Persimmon is bowing with the bounty of fruit but a new
problem is presenting itself -- sunburn!

Fruit getting the full blast of 12+hours-direct sunlight are
spotting and boiling.

I first tried moving the branches about but the tree, while
reasonably limber, became more stressed with the forced aerobic
movement. I can't "spin" the fruit (like I can lemons and oranges)
so that the same area isn't getting the constant sun -- the fuyus
are extremely static while they growing and do not "move" until
they're ripe.

I've been using the bird netting to prevent walker-poaching but
that hasn't prevented the scorching.

Other ideas?

Many thanks!

The Ranger

sueb 11-09-2007 09:14 PM

On Sep 11, 9:55 am, "The Ranger" wrote:
My Fuyu Persimmon is bowing with the bounty of fruit but a new
problem is presenting itself -- sunburn!

Fruit getting the full blast of 12+hours-direct sunlight are
spotting and boiling.

I first tried moving the branches about but the tree, while
reasonably limber, became more stressed with the forced aerobic
movement. I can't "spin" the fruit (like I can lemons and oranges)
so that the same area isn't getting the constant sun -- the fuyus
are extremely static while they growing and do not "move" until
they're ripe.

I've been using the bird netting to prevent walker-poaching but
that hasn't prevented the scorching.

Other ideas?

Many thanks!

The Ranger

Put a canopy over it. And pick out a shadier spot to transplant it
after you pick the fruit in December.

Susan B.