Old 16-09-2007, 03:17 PM posted to sci.med.nutrition,rec.gardens.edible

Default organic, non-organic and taste...

"Eric D" wrote

I'm not sure if this is the right group but I expect that some here
can give advice.

Yes, probably so Eric, )
though several other groups may be better suited:

rec.gardens
rec.gardens.edible
uk.rec.gardening

I've taken the liberty to include 'rec.gardens.edible' in this discussion.

Often when I eat non-organic vegetables raw I think I can taste the
pesticides. There is a stinging sensation in my mouth even though
I've washed them thoroughly.

Just because they aren't certified organic, doesn't mean they contain
pesticides, nor would it mean that manures weren't used on the soils. In
fact, non-organic farming may not compost the manures at all and spread
directly onto the fields. Even organically grown foods may contain
pesticides. (ever taste chrysanthemum?

I'm trying to turn to organic but so far that seems to taste like
manure smells or maybe the smell is just overwhelming.

Are there any organically grown vegetables that don't have this flaw
or does anyone have any suggestions.

Organic / non-organic delineation is not drawn by manures and pesticides.
And as another has stated, manure for organic growing is composted
and the resulting material is absent any of its odor. Perhaps something else
is at play here?, like the stronger, more robust flavors from organic produce?

Steve Young

Old 16-09-2007, 04:55 PM posted to sci.med.nutrition,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Steve Young" bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet wrote:

[...]

Problem is that this question resonates with one asked every year by a
guy who asks about canned fruit smelling rotten. But for the moment I'll
suspend my better judgement.

Simple test. Have someone give you the same vegetables (one organic, the
other not) in a blind tasting. Keep score of correct vs. incorrect. 50%
would be blind luck.

The tongue can only taste sweet, sour (acid), salty, and bitter. All
other flavors are composites made by your nose. Salt, acid, and thorns
would give a sharp pain on the tongue.

Hope this helps.
--
FB - FFF

Billy

Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.
- Bob Marley
Old 16-09-2007, 05:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 09:17:33 -0400, "Steve Young"
[...]

It may be that many organically grown vegetables are also heirloom
varieties which, in many cases, are more flavourful than modern
hybrids.
That being said, if one took a package of certified organic seeds,
planted and raised half those seeds using organically accepted methods
and the other half using normal, non-organic methods, I don't believe
anyone could tell, by taste alone, which of the resulting produce was
organic and which was not.

Ross
Old 17-09-2007, 03:22 AM posted to sci.med.nutrition,rec.gardens.edible

"Steve Young" bowtieATbrightdslDOTnet wrote in message news:WY-

Often when I eat non-organic vegetables raw I think I can taste the
pesticides. There is a stinging sensation in my mouth even though
I've washed them thoroughly.

A very odd perception.

I'm trying to turn to organic but so far that seems to taste like
manure smells or maybe the smell is just overwhelming.

So is this one.

As another suggested do a blind taste test and see if you still have the
same experience. You would need to do quite a few samples (not just one of
each kind) for this to be reliable and of course all should be quality fresh
produce washed in water from the same source. Ideally it should be
double-blind, that is the person who administers the test and keeps the
records does not know which is which.

I am taking this at face value but feel a little suspicious that it might
not be a report of fact.

David

Old 17-09-2007, 05:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote in message
It may be that many organically grown vegetables are also heirloom
varieties which, in many cases, are more flavourful than modern
hybrids.
That being said, if one took a package of certified organic seeds,
planted and raised half those seeds using organically accepted methods
and the other half using normal, non-organic methods, I don't believe
anyone could tell, by taste alone, which of the resulting produce was
organic and which was not.

Ross

Not having yet seen any good evidence to the contrary I think you are very
probably right.

David

Old 17-09-2007, 10:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote in message
[...]

I suspect an amount of the taste argument actually comes down to eating
things fresh and seasonal rather than things artifically ripened or stored
for longish periods. For example, a ripe apple off the tree most often
tastes better to me than the same variety cool stored for weeks on end.

rob

Old 18-09-2007, 04:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Carol wrote:

On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 07:55:55 -0700, Billy
wrote:

Problem is that this question resonates with one asked every year by a
guy who asks about canned fruit smelling rotten. But for the moment I'll
suspend my better judgement.

We on the autism spectrum, like the fellow you're thinking of, often
have hyperaware senses; ie, chances are canned fruit IS slightly
rotten, but very few sense it. In any case I suspect you'll be
seeing more and more similar questions in the gardening groups, as
more people turn to organic. The difference in taste between fresh
organic and "other" does tend to highlight any oddities, in my
experience. Most of the posters won't be as obsessive as the canned
fruit questioner, but the only answer many times may be "if it
tastes bad, don't eat it." Pretty good advice all around, actually.

Fair enough but this poster started out by complaining of a stinging
sensation which was attributed to the food being organic or not. (I'm
too tired right now to look up the exact quote.) Organics do seem to
have more phyto-nutrients but how this relates to the poster's reaction
is beyond me.

Thanks for your observation.

Old 19-09-2007, 05:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:
[...]

I think carrots might be a different animal. If you have always eaten
non-organic, it might be hard to taste the absence of chemicals, but if
you're used to tasting clean food, that chemical taste will definitely
pop out. Does for me anyway.
Old 22-09-2007, 08:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

If I boil this down this discussion is about:

1. Does organic food taste better than conventional?
2. Do some organic foods have an 'overly earthy' flavor and can you
taste pesticides or off flavor in conventional foods?

1. Scientifically in controlled blind taste tastes of foods of the
same variety, from the same locality, and of the same storage life ...No
difference in taste. -BUT- In marketing studies by various organic
organizations and food companies, consumers say overwhelming that
organic foods taste better. This difference has been ascribed to
being part real and part perceived. The REAL component is that in the
store the organic produce tends to be more local and fresher at the in
season times of the year. The PERCEIVED component is that since it
costs more it must be of better quality all of the time.

2. Tougher one to answer, but it probably comes down to some people
being super tasters, 1000 taste buds per square centimeter, and
everyone else having about 40-200 taste buds per square centimeter.
Most chefs tend to be super tasters, the professional panels at food
companies are all certified super tasters, and if you cannot stomach
the taste of salty, fatty, and sugary foods or if broccoli is
nauseatingly bitter to you ... you may be a super taster.

Me, I love the taste of broccoli and do not know how anyone could call
it bitter. For me I would say it has a sweet green flavor like canned
peas or cooked spinach. I guess that means that I am probably a non-
taster with only 40 taste buds per square centimeter.