Old 22-10-2007, 06:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Harvesting Beet Greens

In reference to an earlier question of mine, and someone else's interest
in the answer (Omelet I believe), I found this page regarding harvesting
beet greens (and beets):

http://www.yardener.com/HarvestingandStoringBeets.html
Old 22-10-2007, 06:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

doofy wrote:
In reference to an earlier question of mine, and someone else's interest
in the answer (Omelet I believe), I found this page regarding harvesting
beet greens (and beets):

http://www.yardener.com/HarvestingandStoringBeets.html

Oh, and this one:

http://www.ehow.com/how_8276_harvest-store-beets.html

says you can pick 1/3 of the greens at a time.
Old 22-10-2007, 11:28 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
doofy wrote:

In reference to an earlier question of mine, and someone else's interest
in the answer (Omelet I believe), I found this page regarding harvesting
beet greens (and beets):

http://www.yardener.com/HarvestingandStoringBeets.html

Hey thanks!

I finally saw some beets with the greens at Wal-mart for the first time
in ages. I'm considering purchasing some and just sticking them back
into the ground for greens harvest. :-)

Should not be any different than re-planting any other bulb?
--
Peace, Om

Remove both _ (underscores) to validate gmail e-mails.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein
Old 22-10-2007, 11:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
doofy wrote:

doofy wrote:
In reference to an earlier question of mine, and someone else's interest
in the answer (Omelet I believe), I found this page regarding harvesting
beet greens (and beets):

http://www.yardener.com/HarvestingandStoringBeets.html

Oh, and this one:

http://www.ehow.com/how_8276_harvest-store-beets.html

says you can pick 1/3 of the greens at a time.

I'm wondering how long the beet bulb will live if I just leave it in the
ground and use it as a fresh greens source. :-) The only green I like
better than beet is chard and mom managed to get those to last 3 years
or more.

Old 22-10-2007, 12:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Omelet" wrote in message
news

I'm wondering how long the beet bulb will live if I just leave it in the
ground and use it as a fresh greens source. :-) The only green I like
better than beet is chard and mom managed to get those to last 3 years
or more.

Not surprising since they are cultivars of the same species.

David

Old 22-10-2007, 12:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news

I'm wondering how long the beet bulb will live if I just leave it in the
ground and use it as a fresh greens source. :-) The only green I like
better than beet is chard and mom managed to get those to last 3 years
or more.

Not surprising since they are cultivars of the same species.

David

Really?

But I've not managed to get beet planted from seed to go more than 2
years. The second year, they bolted and produced a ton of seed and very
little green.

We've not experienced that with chard.

Old 22-10-2007, 11:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Omelet wrote:

I finally saw some beets with the greens at Wal-mart for the first time
in ages.

Don't go there.
Old 23-10-2007, 03:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
doofy wrote:

Omelet wrote:

I finally saw some beets with the greens at Wal-mart for the first time
in ages.

Don't go there.

There are few items at Wal-mart that I can't get elsewhere, but here in
this town, there are only two grocery stores. Some items I have to go
there for unless I want to drive to Austin. Packed freeway and lots of
gas.

HEB cuts the greens off of the beets. Always.

Old 23-10-2007, 05:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news

I'm wondering how long the beet bulb will live if I just leave it in

the
ground and use it as a fresh greens source. :-) The only green I like
better than beet is chard and mom managed to get those to last 3 years
or more.

Not surprising since they are cultivars of the same species.

David

Really?

Beta vulgaris

David

Old 23-10-2007, 01:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ann Ann is offline

Omelet expounded:

There are few items at Wal-mart that I can't get elsewhere, but here in
this town, there are only two grocery stores. Some items I have to go
there for unless I want to drive to Austin. Packed freeway and lots of
gas.

You're not the only one who goes to Walmart, I go there too, they sell
the Oakhurst Dairy milk I prefer. Can't get it in any supermarket
around here, but super Wally World has it.

HEB cuts the greens off of the beets. Always.

I look at veggies in there when I'm getting milk, but somehow I just
can't bring myself to buy them. Walmart=plastic in my mind, I guess
(except for that damned milk, why did that dairy have to make a deal
with the devil? G).
--
Ann
e-mail address is not checked

Old 23-10-2007, 05:11 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Ann wrote:

Omelet expounded:

There are few items at Wal-mart that I can't get elsewhere, but here in
this town, there are only two grocery stores. Some items I have to go
there for unless I want to drive to Austin. Packed freeway and lots of
gas.

You're not the only one who goes to Walmart, I go there too, they sell
the Oakhurst Dairy milk I prefer. Can't get it in any supermarket
around here, but super Wally World has it.

HEB cuts the greens off of the beets. Always.

I look at veggies in there when I'm getting milk, but somehow I just
can't bring myself to buy them. Walmart=plastic in my mind, I guess
(except for that damned milk, why did that dairy have to make a deal
with the devil? G).

lol

Wal-mart has had Haas Avocados this week 4 for $1.00 again...

Old 24-10-2007, 03:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article ,
Ann wrote:

Omelet expounded:

There are few items at Wal-mart that I can't get elsewhere, but here in
this town, there are only two grocery stores. Some items I have to go
there for unless I want to drive to Austin. Packed freeway and lots of
gas.

You're not the only one who goes to Walmart, I go there too, they sell
the Oakhurst Dairy milk I prefer. Can't get it in any supermarket
around here, but super Wally World has it.

HEB cuts the greens off of the beets. Always.

I look at veggies in there when I'm getting milk, but somehow I just
can't bring myself to buy them. Walmart=plastic in my mind, I guess
(except for that damned milk, why did that dairy have to make a deal
with the devil? G).

lol

Wal-mart has had Haas Avocados this week 4 for $1.00 again...

"A study by the New Economics Foundation in London found that every £10
spent in a local food business is worth £25 for the local area, compared
with just £14 when the same amount is spent in a supermarket. That is, a
pound (or dollar peso, or rupee) spent locally generates nearly twice as
much income for the local economy."
- Eat Here, Brian Halwell

What kind of world do you want?
--
FB - FFF

Billy

Get up, stand up, stand up for your rights.
Get up, stand up, Don't give up the fight.
- Bob Marley
Old 24-10-2007, 03:37 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

Wal-mart has had Haas Avocados this week 4 for $1.00 again...

"A study by the New Economics Foundation in London found that every £10
spent in a local food business is worth £25 for the local area, compared
with just £14 when the same amount is spent in a supermarket. That is, a
pound (or dollar peso, or rupee) spent locally generates nearly twice as
much income for the local economy."
- Eat Here, Brian Halwell

What kind of world do you want?
--
FB - FFF

Billy

No surprise...

Fast Food is much pricier than cooking your own food.

Frankly, I could not afford to live entirely off of food made by
somebody else!

Nor would it be healthy in most cases.

Old 24-10-2007, 06:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

Wal-mart has had Haas Avocados this week 4 for $1.00 again...

"A study by the New Economics Foundation in London found that every £10
spent in a local food business is worth £25 for the local area, compared
with just £14 when the same amount is spent in a supermarket. That is, a
pound (or dollar peso, or rupee) spent locally generates nearly twice as
much income for the local economy."
- Eat Here, Brian Halwell

What kind of world do you want?
--
FB - FFF

Billy

No surprise...

Fast Food is much pricier than cooking your own food.

Frankly, I could not afford to live entirely off of food made by
somebody else!

Nor would it be healthy in most cases.

Om, I didn't say fast food restaurants, I said supermarkets. I doubt
that avocados are grown in Texas, so they must come from Florida or
California. If they are grown in Texas, though, you would do the
neighborhood proud by buying them. The problem is that the profits from
"Wally World" leave Texas, leaving the area that much poorer. If you buy
from a neighbor, the money will circulate locally.

Old 24-10-2007, 01:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Ann Ann is offline

Billy expounded:

If you buy
from a neighbor, the money will circulate locally.

If the neighbor sold decent milk I would.

As for buy locally, I do, as much as possible. Some of us already
have the message, Billy.