Old 20-11-2007, 08:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Broad bean planting time?

I used to live in Devon. Obeying the locals I made sure my broad beans
were planted on Boxing day. I have now moved to Margate, Kent. We are
five mins walking distance from the sea so it can never get too cold
here. Should I plant my broad beans on Boxing day here?
Old 21-11-2007, 04:45 PM
Registered User

Location: Otley ,West Yorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete L View Post
I used to live in Devon. Obeying the locals I made sure my broad beans
were planted on Boxing day. I have now moved to Margate, Kent. We are
five mins walking distance from the sea so it can never get too cold
here. Should I plant my broad beans on Boxing day here?
Up here in the 'grim north' most people plant by November - its so cold/dark December/January there is not much chance of anything growing outside!

Are you sowing or planting? Either way I'd protect with a cloche in case things get very cold/wet - a deep bed drains best when its really wet.
Gardening Live!