Old 22-11-2007, 03:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Finding community garden space

Any ideas on how to find some community garden space, or who to proselytize?

I'm in the Newark, Ca. area. I saw something for Hayward Community
Gardens, but that's a little far.
Old 22-11-2007, 09:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
doofy wrote:

Any ideas on how to find some community garden space, or who to proselytize?

I'm in the Newark, Ca. area. I saw something for Hayward Community
Gardens, but that's a little far.

Check the phonebook for Master Gardeners or a UC Davis Extention.
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars

Old 23-11-2007, 03:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
doofy wrote:

Any ideas on how to find some community garden space, or who to proselytize?

I'm in the Newark, Ca. area. I saw something for Hayward Community
Gardens, but that's a little far.

Thought I'd responded to this. Oh well. Try "Master Gardeners" in your
area, phone book, farmer's markets or try UC Davis Ag. Extentions. Good
luck.

--
Bush Behind Bars

Billy
http://angryarab.blogspot.com/
Old 25-11-2007, 05:50 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Nov 22, 7:32 am, doofy wrote:
Any ideas on how to find some community garden space, or who to proselytize?

I'm in the Newark, Ca. area. I saw something for Hayward Community
Gardens, but that's a little far.

I'm a tad xxxxx of you (Seattle) but I found literally dozens
by googling "[name of city] pea patch" and
"[name of city] community garden".

The latter even identified what communities within the city
had gardens for communal use and where they were. Application
wait periods seem to range from zero to 2 years.

Don

Old 25-11-2007, 06:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Don H3 wrote:
On Nov 22, 7:32 am, doofy wrote:

Any ideas on how to find some community garden space, or who to proselytize?

I'm in the Newark, Ca. area. I saw something for Hayward Community
Gardens, but that's a little far.

I'm a tad xxxxx of you (Seattle) but I found literally dozens
by googling "[name of city] pea patch" and
"[name of city] community garden".

The latter even identified what communities within the city
had gardens for communal use and where they were. Application
wait periods seem to range from zero to 2 years.

Don

I tried googling too, and though many hits came back, none were
feasible. Didn't know to use 'Pea patch'.
Old 26-11-2007, 01:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Don H3 wrote:
On Nov 22, 7:32 am, doofy wrote:

Any ideas on how to find some community garden space, or who to proselytize?

I'm in the Newark, Ca. area. I saw something for Hayward Community
Gardens, but that's a little far.

I'm a tad xxxxx of you (Seattle) but I found literally dozens
by googling "[name of city] pea patch" and
"[name of city] community garden".

The latter even identified what communities within the city
had gardens for communal use and where they were. Application
wait periods seem to range from zero to 2 years.

So, I'm not finding any of these search results you speak of. Care to
share one with me. I've even gone to Ask.com.

Old 26-11-2007, 11:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Nov 25, 5:48 pm, doofy wrote:
Don H3 wrote:
On Nov 22, 7:32 am, doofy wrote:

Any ideas on how to find some community garden space, or who to proselytize?

I'm in the Newark, Ca. area. I saw something for Hayward Community
Gardens, but that's a little far.

I'm a tad xxxxx of you (Seattle) but I found literally dozens
by googling "[name of city] pea patch" and
"[name of city] community garden".

The latter even identified what communities within the city
had gardens for communal use and where they were. Application
wait periods seem to range from zero to 2 years.

So, I'm not finding any of these search results you speak of. Care to
share one with me. I've even gone to Ask.com.

You neglect to say where you live, but
here is one in LA
http://www.cityfarmer.org/commgardennews.html
(about to be closed apparently), and this one
http://www.laparks.org/dos/horticult.../community.htm

These were found in about 10 seconds by googling:
'los angeles ca "community garden"'

or here's pay-plots in Brisbane Ca:
http://www.brisbanegarden.com/RulesAndPolicies.html

or if you want to find some in Brisbane Australia:
http://www.rosneath.com.au/ipc6/ch06...ell/index.html
Old 26-11-2007, 02:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Don H3 wrote:
On Nov 25, 5:48 pm, doofy wrote:

Don H3 wrote:

On Nov 22, 7:32 am, doofy wrote:

[...]

This is where I live, from my original post:

I'm in the Newark, Ca. area. I saw something for Hayward Community
Gardens, but that's a little far.

So, I'm taking it that I've already exhausted this avenue with google.
Google was the first place I went before hitting the newsgroup. Google
and several other searches. Thanks for taking the time though.
Old 27-11-2007, 03:05 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

So, I called the city today, talked to someone, and he said one reason
there were no community gardens in Newark was that there was lack of
interest. But, he was going to beat the bushes and see what he could
come up with.

Then I called Ardenwood Farms (1/4 mile away) in Fremont, and they
couldn't help, but pointed me to Prusch Farms in San Jose (20 miles
away). They haven't called back yet. But 20 miles one way is a bit of
a drive. That's about $7 per round-trip.

I'll keep trying. This fella I talked to at the city offices told me to
start trying to drum up interested people to help make it work.

I hate being a starter, but I'm also used to it.

Old 27-11-2007, 04:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
doofy wrote:

So, I called the city today, talked to someone, and he said one reason
there were no community gardens in Newark was that there was lack of
interest. But, he was going to beat the bushes and see what he could
come up with.

Then I called Ardenwood Farms (1/4 mile away) in Fremont, and they
couldn't help, but pointed me to Prusch Farms in San Jose (20 miles
away). They haven't called back yet. But 20 miles one way is a bit of
a drive. That's about $7 per round-trip.

I'll keep trying. This fella I talked to at the city offices told me to
start trying to drum up interested people to help make it work.

I hate being a starter, but I'm also used to it.

How about a want add for a garden plot? Some body must have land that
would want to make a few bucks on it.
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars

Old 27-11-2007, 03:18 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
doofy wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
doofy wrote:

So, I called the city today, talked to someone, and he said one reason
there were no community gardens in Newark was that there was lack of
interest. But, he was going to beat the bushes and see what he could
come up with.

Then I called Ardenwood Farms (1/4 mile away) in Fremont, and they
couldn't help, but pointed me to Prusch Farms in San Jose (20 miles
away). They haven't called back yet. But 20 miles one way is a bit of
a drive. That's about $7 per round-trip.

I'll keep trying. This fella I talked to at the city offices told me to
start trying to drum up interested people to help make it work.

I hate being a starter, but I'm also used to it.

How about a want add for a garden plot? Some body must have land that
would want to make a few bucks on it.

There's an idea.

Hmmmm ....

Some local schools have garden clubs (For the local community, not just
kids) and some have provided space for the gardens in their court yards.
My old High School located in the city has a green house and runs a
flower shop next to it. It is odd, but some cities actually have 4H
clubs and they may help run a community garden. And lets not forget the
Boys and Girls clubs, they love those badges.

Just a thought ........ Dan

--
Email "dan lehr at comcast dot net". Text only or goes to trash automatically.
Old 27-11-2007, 03:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Dan L. wrote:
In article ,
doofy wrote:

Billy wrote:

In article ,

[...]

More good ideas. Thanks beau coup.
Old 27-11-2007, 05:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"doofy" wrote in message

More good ideas. Thanks beau coup.

Did you try Milpitas? Or a general "Alameda County" search?
There are many in SJ but that does you no good. It would be
a good idea for someone to start a gardening program for the
elderly who have yards they cannot maintain and who have no
help in that area.