Old 25-11-2007, 10:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Where is the best place to live?

In article , "aluckyguess"
wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article , "aluckyguess"
wrote:

I would like a couple acres where I can have a nice garden most of the
year,
not to cold and my wife wont feel like she's in the middle of nowhere. I
live in So-Cal now but its just to busy any more. Some place maybe the
kids
will move to if they get married. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Central Texas.\

Any city names?

Well, I live in the Austin/San Antonio area, but the bedroom communities
have better land prices. ;-)

Just stay out of Tornado alley, per previous posts!
--
Peace, Om

Remove - (dash) to validate gmail.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein
Old 25-11-2007, 10:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article , "aluckyguess"
wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article , "aluckyguess"
wrote:

I would like a couple acres where I can have a nice garden most of the
year,
not to cold and my wife wont feel like she's in the middle of nowhere. I
live in So-Cal now but its just to busy any more. Some place maybe the
kids
will move to if they get married. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Central Texas.\

Any city names?

Ever hear of a little place called Austin?
City motto: "Keep Austin Weird". That just sounds so Californian.
They have a University, a culture scene, and music.
I'm not planing on leaving northern California but if I were, I'd check
it out. Oldest, continuously running business in Austin is Schultz's
biergarten. Fredricksburg, not far from Austin, still wears its' German
heritage with pride.

So it's Texas. Ol' "Good hair" can't be any worse than A'nold.

Gut Gluck er, good luck.

Austin ain't so "little" any more! g

Old 25-11-2007, 10:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , "aluckyguess"
wrote:

That looks nice there. Is there a lot of deer?

ROFL!!!

You want deer? It can make gardening a challenge. ;-D

We have a local herd that grazes across the street from me.

The dogs keep then out of the gardens!

We also have raccoons, squirrels, ringtails, possums, coyotes, puma,
skunks, rats, etc.

Old 26-11-2007, 03:30 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

Austin ain't so "little" any more! g

Girl, I'm just funnin'. I've seen the pictures;-)
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars

Old 26-11-2007, 07:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

Austin ain't so "little" any more! g

Girl, I'm just funnin'. I've seen the pictures;-)

Nacherally... ;-D

Old 26-11-2007, 08:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Omelet wrote:

Well, I live in the Austin/San Antonio area, but the bedroom communities
have better land prices. ;-)

Noted bedroom communities a

Four Poster, IL
Bunk, ME
Queens, NY
Cradle, NM
Twin, ID
Spare, LA
Master, PA

Old 27-11-2007, 02:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article , "Dioclese" NONE
wrote:

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article , "aluckyguess"
wrote:

I would like a couple acres where I can have a nice garden most of the
year,
not to cold and my wife wont feel like she's in the middle of nowhere.
live in So-Cal now but its just to busy any more. Some place maybe the
kids
will move to if they get married. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Central Texas.

Generally speaking, east of IH35 is less hilly, less trees, more
precipitation, deeper natural topsoil. West of IH35 is more hilly as you
go
west, more trees, less precipitation, topsoil depth varies highly and
more
prevalent in bottom land.

Would be culture shock for a southern californian...
Dave

I live West of IH-35 in the hill country.

No tornadoes there. g

Most of the twisters stay right on or just East of IH-35. I think the
hills in the hill country break up the air currents.

Might be why property values are higher...

Granted, the soil is not as good (lots of limestone/rocks) and the
plains are alluvial topsoil, but I just use raised beds. Cotton,
Sorghum, corn and other grains grow well on the East side.

I guess it depends on what you are looking for. I just like the
loooooong growing season!

I have a pair of 'mater plants out front in a 25 gallon pot right now
and there are some green fruits on it, but I'll probably have to move it
into the greenhouse shortly and set up the winter heat bulb for it.

I should have ripe fruits soon, and more blooms later to give me ripe
fruits in March. I just listen to the radio for frost warnings.
--
Peace, Om

Remove - (dash) to validate gmail.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their
foot down." -- Steve Rothstein

Thanks for the reminder. Colder in hill country vice east of IH35. Don't
count on local Austin TV stations reflecting actual winter temperature and
temp forecasts in regions west in winter/fall. NWS is much more accurate
locally.

http://www.weather.gov/
--
Dave

Old 27-11-2007, 03:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

"aluckyguess" wrote in message

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article , "aluckyguess"
wrote:

I would like a couple acres where I can have a nice garden most of the
year,
not to cold and my wife wont feel like she's in the middle of nowhere. I
live in So-Cal now but its just to busy any more. Some place maybe the
kids
will move to if they get married. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Central Texas.\

Any city names?
--
Peace, Om

Remove - (dash) to validate gmail.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their
foot down." -- Steve Rothstein

If speaking west of IH35, would, in the past recommend Dripping Springs or
Wimberley. All the new immigrants have managed to use up the springs, now
water is pumped into Drippin'. Wimberley is about to explode due to too
much control by its local government of growth. Marble Falls is a tourist
trap, and preys on potential settlers. Try Blanco.

Austin sets right on top of IH35. Its traffic is reminiscent of L.A. 2
decades ago except alot slower in movement.
--
Dave

Old 27-11-2007, 05:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article , "Dioclese" NONE
wrote:

"aluckyguess" wrote in message

"Omelet" wrote in message
news
In article , "aluckyguess"
wrote:

[...]

Sounds absolutely resistible. What is the price of a home on a single
lot? What is the price of an undeveloped acre?
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars

Old 27-11-2007, 04:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
doofy wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
doofy wrote:

Omelet wrote:

Well, I live in the Austin/San Antonio area, but the bedroom communities
have better land prices. ;-)

Noted bedroom communities a

Four Poster, IL
Bunk, ME
Queens, NY
Cradle, NM
Twin, ID
Spare, LA
Master, PA

Smart ass. grins

And your point? ;-P

I'm always one to appreciate a good pun!
That was a compliment. ;-)

You forgot Beddington Maine...

Old 27-11-2007, 04:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Locally, depends on exactly where it is.
There are still some "wild" areas on backroads that run anywhere from 4K
to 10K per acre.

On up for areas that are closer to town or commercially valuable.