GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Extra Seeds (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/167760-extra-seeds.html)

Tim 05-12-2007 02:52 PM

Extra Seeds

Hello All!

I am fairly new to this newsgroup and the gardening community in general.
Can you share some of your thoughts on all the extra seeds you get when
ordering packets. For example, I will be ordering Sage seeds, which come
200 to a packet. I'm certainly not planning on having 200 plants, or even
10 plants. How long are these seeds viable? Is it general practice to
exchange extra seeds?

I really don't want to be wasteful and throw these extras out.

Thank you.

Tim
Southern New Jersey, Zone 6

The Cook 05-12-2007 04:02 PM

Extra Seeds

On Wed, 5 Dec 2007 09:52:14 -0500, "Tim"
wrote:

Hello All!

I am fairly new to this newsgroup and the gardening community in general.
Can you share some of your thoughts on all the extra seeds you get when
ordering packets. For example, I will be ordering Sage seeds, which come
200 to a packet. I'm certainly not planning on having 200 plants, or even
10 plants. How long are these seeds viable? Is it general practice to
exchange extra seeds?

I really don't want to be wasteful and throw these extras out.

Thank you.

Tim
Southern New Jersey, Zone 6

Try Pinetree Garden Seeds. They sell in smaller quantities. Sage --
50 seeds --$1.10.

Sage seed should last about 25 years in the freezer. The plant is a
hardy perennial in zones 4 to 9 so it should last a number of years.

I am sure that some people trade seeds. I would personally keep it to
my neighborhood rather than get involved in cross country trading.
--
Susan N.

jimnginger 08-12-2007 07:21 AM

Extra Seeds

On Dec 5, 6:52�am, "Tim" wrote:
Hello All!

I live in Zone 10 in So Calif. and many of the things you plant in
your zone may not be optimal for my zone - thus making seed mailing to
different zones impractical. For example, I grow a green pole bean
that does great in very hot weather but I do not consider it the best
example of a green bean I have ever tasted. It does however keeps
flowering during our extremely hot summers. I also buy my seeds from
Pinetree Gardens in New England as the seed packs are smaller & I
never even use all my seed as my growing space is limited. I keep mine
in a wide mouth big jar from Costo in the refrigerator to extend
storage life. I just sow heavier in subsequent years should I not see
enough sprouts. I honestly would share seeds if I found someone in
zone 10 who had interests in growing the same things as I do. That is
a long shot however. Regards - Jim in So Calif.

David Hare-Scott 08-12-2007 11:06 AM

Extra Seeds

"Tim" wrote in message
Hello All!

I am fairly new to this newsgroup and the gardening community in general.
Can you share some of your thoughts on all the extra seeds you get when
ordering packets. For example, I will be ordering Sage seeds, which come
200 to a packet. I'm certainly not planning on having 200 plants, or even
10 plants. How long are these seeds viable? Is it general practice to
exchange extra seeds?

I really don't want to be wasteful and throw these extras out.

Thank you.

Tim
Southern New Jersey, Zone 6

Share them with other gardeners