GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Anyone try to grow Chia Seeds? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/167851-anyone-try-grow-chia-seeds.html)

Omelet 15-12-2007 08:36 PM

Anyone try to grow Chia Seeds?

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

As far as I know, we have Ovaries, not Prostates. g

That's just feminist propaganda. NOW is somewhat confused on the issue.

I suppose that can be changed with surgical procedures...
Or were you referring to the "g-spot"?

;-)

Glad to see we got the subject turned round.

Medicine always fascinated me. I liked playing doctor when I was a kid.
I still try to keep a hand in ;- and one of these too, g.

ROFLMAO!!!

Always a fun game!

But I preferred Cowboys and Indians.

Dad bought me a good cap gun.

snicker

Oh, and "G" can refer to "garden spot".

Just to keep it on topic ya know... g
--
Peace, Om

Remove - (dash) to validate gmail.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein

Omelet 15-12-2007 08:37 PM

Anyone try to grow Chia Seeds?

In article ,
doofy wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Omelet wrote:

As far as I know, we have Ovaries, not Prostates. g

That's just feminist propaganda. NOW is somewhat confused on the issue.

I suppose that can be changed with surgical procedures...
Or were you referring to the "g-spot"?

;-)

Glad to see we got the subject turned round.

Medicine always fascinated me. I liked playing doctor when I was a kid.
I still try to keep a hand in ;- and one of these too, g.

Honestly, do you HAVE to do that to that Chia pet?

coughs and LOLOL!!!

snickers a few more times...

Omelet 15-12-2007 08:37 PM

Anyone try to grow Chia Seeds?

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
doofy wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Omelet wrote:

As far as I know, we have Ovaries, not Prostates. g

That's just feminist propaganda. NOW is somewhat confused on the issue.

I suppose that can be changed with surgical procedures...
Or were you referring to the "g-spot"?

;-)

Glad to see we got the subject turned round.

Medicine always fascinated me. I liked playing doctor when I was a kid.
I still try to keep a hand in ;- and one of these too, g.

Honestly, do you HAVE to do that to that Chia pet?

There goes the level;-)

Absolootly.

Best laugh I've had all week. ;-D

Thanks Doofy!

doofy 15-12-2007 09:58 PM

Anyone try to grow Chia Seeds?

Omelet wrote:
In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
doofy wrote:

Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

As far as I know, we have Ovaries, not Prostates. g

That's just feminist propaganda. NOW is somewhat confused on the issue.

I suppose that can be changed with surgical procedures...
Or were you referring to the "g-spot"?

;-)

Glad to see we got the subject turned round.

Medicine always fascinated me. I liked playing doctor when I was a kid.
I still try to keep a hand in ;- and one of these too, g.

Honestly, do you HAVE to do that to that Chia pet?

There goes the level;-)

Absolootly.

Best laugh I've had all week. ;-D

Thanks Doofy!

Save the Oily Chia!

Billy[_4_] 15-12-2007 11:45 PM

Anyone try to grow Chia Seeds?

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

As far as I know, we have Ovaries, not Prostates. g

That's just feminist propaganda. NOW is somewhat confused on the issue.

I suppose that can be changed with surgical procedures...
Or were you referring to the "g-spot"?

;-)

Glad to see we got the subject turned round.

Medicine always fascinated me. I liked playing doctor when I was a kid.
I still try to keep a hand in ;- and one of these too, g.

ROFLMAO!!!

Always a fun game!

But I preferred Cowboys and Indians.

Dad bought me a good cap gun.

snicker

Oh, and "G" can refer to "garden spot".

Just to keep it on topic ya know... g

Uh, "garden spot", yeah, I knew that. Yeah, being dirty was just second
nature to me, one hand in the garden spot and I'd be all :- & gs.
Think I'll go check my beds of clover now.
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars

Omelet 16-12-2007 08:19 AM

Billy wrote:

Oh, and "G" can refer to "garden spot".

Just to keep it on topic ya know... g

Uh, "garden spot", yeah, I knew that. Yeah, being dirty was just second
nature to me, one hand in the garden spot and I'd be all :- & gs.
Think I'll go check my beds of clover now.
--

Billy

Gardening is always a good way to get down and dirty.

That's what makes it so much fun.

Ever heard of "Beltane"?

Om - Ducking and running as fast as she can...

;-)

Billy[_4_] 16-12-2007 03:20 PM

Anyone try to grow Chia Seeds?

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

Oh, and "G" can refer to "garden spot".

Just to keep it on topic ya know... g

Uh, "garden spot", yeah, I knew that. Yeah, being dirty was just second
nature to me, one hand in the garden spot and I'd be all :- & gs.
Think I'll go check my beds of clover now.
--

Billy

Gardening is always a good way to get down and dirty.

That's what makes it so much fun.

Ever heard of "Beltane"?

Om - Ducking and running as fast as she can...

;-)

If you run faster, you might catch up to me. Beltane? The May-pole,
flower swapping, bon-fire thingy? Not until now. Sounds good though.
What's this about you helping doofy with his fly problem?:-o
Whoops --- gotta run;-)
--

Billy

Bush & Cheney, Behind Bars
http://www.gallup.com/poll/102577/Half-Strongly-
Disapprove-Bush-Job-Performance.aspx

doofy 16-12-2007 03:55 PM

Anyone try to grow Chia Seeds?

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

Oh, and "G" can refer to "garden spot".

Just to keep it on topic ya know... g

Uh, "garden spot", yeah, I knew that. Yeah, being dirty was just second
nature to me, one hand in the garden spot and I'd be all :- & gs.
Think I'll go check my beds of clover now.
--

Billy

Gardening is always a good way to get down and dirty.

That's what makes it so much fun.

Ever heard of "Beltane"?

Om - Ducking and running as fast as she can...

;-)

If you run faster, you might catch up to me. Beltane? The May-pole,
flower swapping, bon-fire thingy? Not until now. Sounds good though.
What's this about you helping doofy with his fly problem?:-o
Whoops --- gotta run;-)

Now you've got me thinking about the Rolling Stones album "Sticky
Fingers".

Omelet 16-12-2007 03:56 PM

Anyone try to grow Chia Seeds?

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

Oh, and "G" can refer to "garden spot".

Just to keep it on topic ya know... g

Uh, "garden spot", yeah, I knew that. Yeah, being dirty was just second
nature to me, one hand in the garden spot and I'd be all :- & gs.
Think I'll go check my beds of clover now.
--

Billy

Gardening is always a good way to get down and dirty.

That's what makes it so much fun.

Ever heard of "Beltane"?

Om - Ducking and running as fast as she can...

;-)

If you run faster, you might catch up to me. Beltane? The May-pole,
flower swapping, bon-fire thingy? Not until now. Sounds good though.
What's this about you helping doofy with his fly problem?:-o
Whoops --- gotta run;-)

ROFL!!!

Thanks for the morning chuckle!

The main Beltane thing is making love in the freshly hoed fields to
promote crop fertility.

It's a Pagan thing. ;-)

Billy[_4_] 16-12-2007 06:04 PM

Omelet wrote:

The main Beltane thing is making love in the freshly hoed fields to
promote crop fertility.

It's a Pagan thing. ;-)

Well, it might shock the neighbors but that's what I call gardening:-)

Omelet 16-12-2007 06:59 PM

Anyone try to grow Chia Seeds?

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

The main Beltane thing is making love in the freshly hoed fields to
promote crop fertility.

It's a Pagan thing. ;-)

Well, it might shock the neighbors but that's what I call gardening:-)

Ploughing the field?

snicker

doofy 17-12-2007 02:31 AM

Omelet wrote:

The main Beltane thing is making love in the freshly hoed fields to
promote crop fertility.

It's a Pagan thing. ;-)

I'm horny. Where can I get me a hoe?

doofy 17-12-2007 02:32 AM

Anyone try to grow Chia Seeds?

Omelet wrote:
In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

The main Beltane thing is making love in the freshly hoed fields to
promote crop fertility.

It's a Pagan thing. ;-)

Well, it might shock the neighbors but that's what I call gardening:-)

Ploughing the field?

snicker

Man, look at the size of his disc.

Omelet 17-12-2007 05:36 AM

doofy wrote:

Omelet wrote:

The main Beltane thing is making love in the freshly hoed fields to
promote crop fertility.

It's a Pagan thing. ;-)

I'm horny. Where can I get me a hoe?

coughs Seriously, I was eating some sausage and kraut, and just about
choked.

;-)

This thread needs to come with a spew warning.

ROFL!!!

Omelet 17-12-2007 05:38 AM

Anyone try to grow Chia Seeds?

In article ,
doofy wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

The main Beltane thing is making love in the freshly hoed fields to
promote crop fertility.

It's a Pagan thing. ;-)

Well, it might shock the neighbors but that's what I call gardening:-)

Ploughing the field?

snicker

Man, look at the size of his disc.

Indeed... ;-D

Then there are the seeds...

Billy[_4_] 17-12-2007 06:09 AM

Anyone try to grow Chia Seeds?

In article ,
doofy wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

The main Beltane thing is making love in the freshly hoed fields to
promote crop fertility.

It's a Pagan thing. ;-)

Well, it might shock the neighbors but that's what I call gardening:-)

Ploughing the field?

snicker

Man, look at the size of his disc.

Disc? Hey! Old fashion mouldboard, deep and dirty.

I thought you were having a wardrobe malfunction. A fly problem wasn't
it? How's yo hoe workin' for ya? I wouldn't go too far with it, if I was
you. You ain't no Imus. You can be proud about that:-)

Billy[_4_] 17-12-2007 06:19 AM

Anyone try to grow Chia Seeds?

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article ,
doofy wrote:

Omelet wrote:

The main Beltane thing is making love in the freshly hoed fields to
promote crop fertility.

It's a Pagan thing. ;-)

I'm horny. Where can I get me a hoe?

coughs Seriously, I was eating some sausage and kraut, and just about
choked.

;-)

This thread needs to come with a spew warning.

ROFL!!!

People, people, we need to contain ourselves until spring, which is when
this conversation would become appropriate. OK? So let's pull 'em up,
and hold the thought.

Omelet 17-12-2007 06:38 AM

Anyone try to grow Chia Seeds?

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
doofy wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

The main Beltane thing is making love in the freshly hoed fields to
promote crop fertility.

It's a Pagan thing. ;-)

Well, it might shock the neighbors but that's what I call gardening:-)

Ploughing the field?

snicker

Man, look at the size of his disc.

Disc? Hey! Old fashion mouldboard, deep and dirty.

I thought you were having a wardrobe malfunction. A fly problem wasn't
it? How's yo hoe workin' for ya? I wouldn't go too far with it, if I was
you. You ain't no Imus. You can be proud about that:-)

No hoes with nappy hairs?

Omelet 17-12-2007 06:38 AM

Anyone try to grow Chia Seeds?

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article ,
doofy wrote:

Omelet wrote:

The main Beltane thing is making love in the freshly hoed fields to
promote crop fertility.

It's a Pagan thing. ;-)

I'm horny. Where can I get me a hoe?

coughs Seriously, I was eating some sausage and kraut, and just about
choked.

;-)

This thread needs to come with a spew warning.

ROFL!!!

People, people, we need to contain ourselves until spring, which is when
this conversation would become appropriate. OK? So let's pull 'em up,
and hold the thought.

Indeed... snicker

doofy 17-12-2007 03:59 PM

Anyone try to grow Chia Seeds?

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
doofy wrote:

Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

The main Beltane thing is making love in the freshly hoed fields to
promote crop fertility.

It's a Pagan thing. ;-)

Well, it might shock the neighbors but that's what I call gardening:-)

Ploughing the field?

snicker

Man, look at the size of his disc.

Indeed... ;-D

Then there are the seeds...

Yeah, but, like, when he starts fertilizing, I want to be up wind.

Omelet 17-12-2007 04:48 PM

Anyone try to grow Chia Seeds?

In article ,
doofy wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
doofy wrote:

Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

The main Beltane thing is making love in the freshly hoed fields to
promote crop fertility.

It's a Pagan thing. ;-)

Well, it might shock the neighbors but that's what I call gardening:-)

Ploughing the field?

snicker

Man, look at the size of his disc.

Indeed... ;-D

Then there are the seeds...

Yeah, but, like, when he starts fertilizing, I want to be up wind.

Ew. ;-)

RF 26-12-2007 01:54 AM

Anyone try to grow Chia Seeds?

Melodious Thunk wrote:
On Dec 9, 10:15 am, RF wrote:
Omelet wrote:
In article
,
Don H3 wrote:
On Dec 8, 8:12 pm, RF wrote:
Hi All,
These are very nutritious seeds, loaded with omega-3s, etc and very
expensive to buy - locally (California) about $1/ounce.
Visitwww.wikipedia.organdtype chia to get lots of info.
I would like to know of your experiences in growing, harvesting and
storing them.
TIA
RF
Yeah I bought 2 CHIA Herb Gardens last winter. They grew exactly
as the instructions said they would. At first. Then they died.
All of them reached 2 inches in height within a few weeks as
predicted.
The Chives were the only thing (of 6 plantings) that survived to reach
3 inches.
Any attempt to do any thinning or separate anything from the CHIA
"growing sponge"
also killed it. Immediately. Everything.
Later I planted some leftover CHIA seeds in window boxes. They lived a
little longer,
but were always overgrown and shaded-out by store and ebay-bought
seeds long
before they reached maturity or produced anything useful. Long before.
I'm thinking who my worst enemy is to give them the remaining Herb
Garden for
Christmas. Somewhere in the instructions it clearly said "special
hybrids".
Yeah. Specialized to grow quick and die quicker.
I've seen Chia growing in the wild.
Might be best as an outdoor plant?

Thanks Guys for the responsees.

I did a little digging this morning and found that the chia has grown
wild as far north as Mondocino county in CA.
I live in Sonoma. right next door, so it appears I am in the right
place. Very important, once it starts to grow it
needs no more water.

There is lots of info at the link:

http://www.gardenguides.com/plants/p...lantguide.asp?...

Good planting and even better eating :-)

RF

They want to be dry sometimes but don't tolerate freezing. They were a
staple of the Tribes of inland southern California (Luiseņo,
Gabrieliņo, del Rey, etc.) who still grow and collect them. It grows
wild along my hillside & we gather them sometimes. Tasty, especially
roasted!

We do get some frost here but it is mostly on the surface - rarely gets
down far
into the earth. If the roots are deep, it could survive. Presumably it
is an annual and
could be grown from Spring through the Fall. Anyone know if they are
somewhat similar
to flax seeds? When the flax seeds are soaked in water for a while, the
result is a
very clear slimy liquid, which acts as a strong laxative for many people.

RF