Old 09-12-2007, 05:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
RF RF is offline

Default Anyone try to grow Chia Seeds?

Hi All,

These are very nutritious seeds, loaded with omega-3s, etc and very
expensive to buy - locally (California) about $1/ounce.
Visit www.wikipedia.org and type chia to get lots of info.

I would like to know of your experiences in growing, harvesting and
storing them.

TIA

RF
Old 09-12-2007, 02:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Dec 8, 8:12 pm, RF wrote:
Hi All,

These are very nutritious seeds, loaded with omega-3s, etc and very
expensive to buy - locally (California) about $1/ounce.
Visitwww.wikipedia.organd type chia to get lots of info.

I would like to know of your experiences in growing, harvesting and
storing them.

TIA

RF

Yeah I bought 2 CHIA Herb Gardens last winter. They grew exactly
as the instructions said they would. At first. Then they died.

All of them reached 2 inches in height within a few weeks as
predicted.
The Chives were the only thing (of 6 plantings) that survived to reach
3 inches.

Any attempt to do any thinning or separate anything from the CHIA
"growing sponge"
also killed it. Immediately. Everything.

Later I planted some leftover CHIA seeds in window boxes. They lived a
little longer,
but were always overgrown and shaded-out by store and ebay-bought
seeds long
before they reached maturity or produced anything useful. Long before.

I'm thinking who my worst enemy is to give them the remaining Herb
Garden for
Christmas. Somewhere in the instructions it clearly said "special
hybrids".
Yeah. Specialized to grow quick and die quicker.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Don H3 wrote:

On Dec 8, 8:12 pm, RF wrote:
[...]

I've seen Chia growing in the wild.

Might be best as an outdoor plant?
--
Peace, Om

Remove - (dash) to validate gmail.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein
Old 09-12-2007, 07:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
RF RF is offline

Omelet wrote:
In article
,
Don H3 wrote:

On Dec 8, 8:12 pm, RF wrote:
[...]

Thanks Guys for the responsees.

I did a little digging this morning and found that the chia has grown
wild as far north as Mondocino county in CA.
I live in Sonoma. right next door, so it appears I am in the right
place. Very important, once it starts to grow it
needs no more water.

There is lots of info at the link:

http://www.gardenguides.com/plants/p...p?symbol=SACO6

Good planting and even better eating :-)

RF
Old 09-12-2007, 07:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Dec 9, 10:15 am, RF wrote:
Omelet wrote:
In article
,

http://www.gardenguides.com/plants/p...lantguide.asp?...

Good planting and even better eating :-)

RF

They want to be dry sometimes but don't tolerate freezing. They were a
staple of the Tribes of inland southern California (Luiseño,
Gabrieliño, del Rey, etc.) who still grow and collect them. It grows
wild along my hillside & we gather them sometimes. Tasty, especially
roasted!

Old 09-12-2007, 08:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

http://www.gardenguides.com/plants/p....asp?symbol=SA
CO6

Good planting and even better eating :-)

RF

Yes, that is where I saw it. In California. :-)

We used to live there.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Dec 9, 9:51 am, Omelet wrote:
In article
,
Don H3 wrote:

On Dec 8, 8:12 pm, RF wrote:
Hi All,

These are very nutritious seeds, loaded with omega-3s, etc and very
expensive to buy - locally (California) about $1/ounce.
Visitwww.wikipedia.organdtype chia to get lots of info.

I would like to know of your experiences in growing, harvesting and
storing them.

TIA

RF

Yeah I bought 2 CHIA Herb Gardens last winter. They grew exactly
as the instructions said they would. At first. Then they died.

[...]

I've seen Chia growing in the wild.

Might be best as an outdoor plant?
--
Peace, Om

Remove - (dash) to validate gmail.

"Human nature seems to be to control other people until they put their foot down." -- Steve Rothstein

Urkle. (Removing foot from mouth)

I misconstrued the question as a sneaky advertisement for the "brand"
name CHIA, and had no idea there is an actual plant by that name...
(Californian I am not)

[ "Ethnobotanic: Chia, the Spanish name for Salvia columbariae, is
a plant
[ of great economic importance to many Native American tribes in
California..."

.... Apologies all~~
Old 10-12-2007, 08:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Don H3 wrote:

I've seen Chia growing in the wild.

Might be best as an outdoor plant?

Urkle. (Removing foot from mouth)

I misconstrued the question as a sneaky advertisement for the "brand"
name CHIA, and had no idea there is an actual plant by that name...
(Californian I am not)

You mean you missed the "chia pet" craze? :-)
Mom had a pottery lion with the ridges for the chia seeds forming the
lion's "Mane". It was really cute and she'd just trim the sprouts for
salads.

[ "Ethnobotanic: Chia, the Spanish name for Salvia columbariae, is
a plant
[ of great economic importance to many Native American tribes in
California..."

... Apologies all~~

C'est la ve. :-)

Old 10-12-2007, 03:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Omelet wrote:
In article
,
Don H3 wrote:

I've seen Chia growing in the wild.

Might be best as an outdoor plant?

Urkle. (Removing foot from mouth)

I misconstrued the question as a sneaky advertisement for the "brand"
name CHIA, and had no idea there is an actual plant by that name...
(Californian I am not)

You mean you missed the "chia pet" craze? :-)
Mom had a pottery lion with the ridges for the chia seeds forming the
lion's "Mane". It was really cute and she'd just trim the sprouts for
salads.

Predating the Chia Pet craze by decades, I remember, in the late 50's,
having a pottery head of Alfred E. Newman, the Mad Magazine character.
There was a hole in the top of his head, to add water I guess, and there
were grooves all around where his hair would be, to put the seeds in.
Don't know what seeds were supplied.
Old 10-12-2007, 06:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
doofy wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article
,
Don H3 wrote:

I've seen Chia growing in the wild.

Might be best as an outdoor plant?

Urkle. (Removing foot from mouth)

I misconstrued the question as a sneaky advertisement for the "brand"
name CHIA, and had no idea there is an actual plant by that name...
(Californian I am not)

You mean you missed the "chia pet" craze? :-)
Mom had a pottery lion with the ridges for the chia seeds forming the
lion's "Mane". It was really cute and she'd just trim the sprouts for
salads.

Predating the Chia Pet craze by decades,

That ancient? eg

I remember, in the late 50's,
having a pottery head of Alfred E. Newman, the Mad Magazine character.
There was a hole in the top of his head, to add water I guess,

Yes, mom's Lion had a hole in the top of his head.
Generally, chia pets were glazed except where the ridges for sprouting
were. The seeds are mucilaginous so stick to where you plant them when
they are wetted.

and there
were grooves all around where his hair would be, to put the seeds in.
Don't know what seeds were supplied.

Chia. g

Mom had her chia pet in the late 60's, early 70's.

Old 11-12-2007, 04:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Omelet wrote:
Predating the Chia Pet craze by decades,

That ancient? eg

Predated the "Craze". Not the item, evidently.

and there
were grooves all around where his hair would be, to put the seeds in.
Don't know what seeds were supplied.

Chia. g

Dunno. I was a tyke. I seem to remember that the whole head was
unglazed, but, I can't really remember a detail like that.

Mom had her chia pet in the late 60's, early 70's.

Did she get it from Doctor Who? Could you imagine a Dahlek as a chia pet?

Old 11-12-2007, 04:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
RF RF is offline

doofy wrote:
Omelet wrote:
Predating the Chia Pet craze by decades,

That ancient? eg

Predated the "Craze". Not the item, evidently.

and there were grooves all around where his hair would be, to put the
seeds in. Don't know what seeds were supplied.

Chia. g

Dunno. I was a tyke. I seem to remember that the whole head was
unglazed, but, I can't really remember a detail like that.

Mom had her chia pet in the late 60's, early 70's.

Did she get it from Doctor Who? Could you imagine a Dahlek as a chia pet?

And I thought this was a .garden.edible newsgroup????

Are you guys cannibalizing your pets?
Old 11-12-2007, 07:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
doofy wrote:

Omelet wrote:
Predating the Chia Pet craze by decades,

That ancient? eg

Predated the "Craze". Not the item, evidently.

Just messing with ya. ;-)

and there
were grooves all around where his hair would be, to put the seeds in.
Don't know what seeds were supplied.

Chia. g

Dunno. I was a tyke. I seem to remember that the whole head was
unglazed, but, I can't really remember a detail like that.

Mom had her chia pet in the late 60's, early 70's.

Did she get it from Doctor Who? Could you imagine a Dahlek as a chia pet?

lol!!!

We used to watch Dr. Who on Sundays when we lived in Colorado.
It'd run 5 episodes, 2 1/2 hour special.

We made Bean and Cheese nachos and Margaritas.

sigh

Wonderful memory...

I miss my mom.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
RF wrote:

doofy wrote:
Omelet wrote:
Predating the Chia Pet craze by decades,

That ancient? eg

Predated the "Craze". Not the item, evidently.

and there were grooves all around where his hair would be, to put the
seeds in. Don't know what seeds were supplied.

Chia. g

Dunno. I was a tyke. I seem to remember that the whole head was
unglazed, but, I can't really remember a detail like that.

Mom had her chia pet in the late 60's, early 70's.

Did she get it from Doctor Who? Could you imagine a Dahlek as a chia pet?

And I thought this was a .garden.edible newsgroup????

Are you guys cannibalizing your pets?

Heh!

Chia pets ARE edible plants!

Sprouts on a special clay planter, shaped usually like an animal of some
sort.

The sprouts grew on the surface making it look "fuzzy":

Googles Huh. Looks like there are still a good variety available:

http://ggchia.savontv.com/chia-misc-set.html

Might have to see if I can get one shipped fast as a Christmas gift for
my sister. :-)

Old 12-12-2007, 02:44 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 12:50:56 -0600, Omelet wrote:

Chia pets ARE edible plants!

Sprouts on a special clay planter, shaped usually like an animal of some
sort.

The sprouts grew on the surface making it look "fuzzy":

Googles Huh. Looks like there are still a good variety available:

http://ggchia.savontv.com/chia-misc-set.html

Okay, you claim this chia is edible. Great! How is it used as food for humans?