GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Garlic preservation (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/168112-garlic-preservation.html)

JustTom 20-12-2007 05:47 PM

Garlic preservation

I'm in zone 6b.

Decided to try hardneck garlic this year for the first time.

Traditionally, planting is Columbus day, but I was a little late in
getting my bulbs, and the weather (seemed to rain buckets every
weekend) and other distractions didn't leave me enough time to get it
planted.

So, I'm wondering if it's possible to store the bulbs until next fall,
or should i just eat them as an expensive reminder to plan a little
better next year?

thanks,
tom

Pat Kiewicz 21-12-2007 11:23 AM

Garlic preservation

JustTom said:

I'm in zone 6b.

Decided to try hardneck garlic this year for the first time.

Traditionally, planting is Columbus day, but I was a little late in
getting my bulbs, and the weather (seemed to rain buckets every
weekend) and other distractions didn't leave me enough time to get it
planted.

So, I'm wondering if it's possible to store the bulbs until next fall,
or should i just eat them as an expensive reminder to plan a little
better next year?

If your ground isn't completely frozen, just plant them now.

You could even try planting as soon as the ground is thawed in the
spring. Nowhere near optimal time, but you should have more to
harvest than you would if you eat them now!

(attributed to Don Marti)