Old 21-04-2003, 03:20 PM
Norma Briggs

Default "hot" garden soil

A friend of mine has 2 raised beds, and for some reason buys soil for them every year from the same place, therefore she alternates which bed she uses each year. She says they always have to let it set for a year before they use it, "it's too hot" and kills everything. I think it must have something to do with the ph level of the soil. I am convinced there must be something she can do to with the soil she bought to "cool it off".

I did recommend a soil test, no clue if she will do that as yet. No sure why they think they have to buy new soil every year either instead of just composting, esp. if they are using only one bed at a time.

Any way what do all you experts think about the "hot soil" from the dirt yard?

thanks

njb

---
Old 21-04-2003, 03:20 PM
George Shirley

It sounds more like she's buying a fresh load of manure each year.
Probably chicken as that stays "hot" for quite awhile. I don't
understand the concept of buying fresh "soil" every year, soil doesn't
wear out, it does get depleted of nutrients but some compost helps with
that as do some of the organic fertilizers.

George

Old 21-04-2003, 09:20 PM
Nicole H

When referring to hot soil, it usually means the nitrogen level is very
high.... as in fresh manure. Most manure needs to be aged so it doesn't
"burn" the plants.

Nicole
m...

Old 23-04-2003, 08:56 AM
Tiffany

I know that mushroom compost is physically hot when you buy it for up to 2
months..you have to spread it out then spray it down with water..keeps heat
for a long time -Mike
.. .

Old 23-04-2003, 12:20 PM
Pat Meadows

On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 00:57:05 -0700, "Tiffany"
wrote:

I know that mushroom compost is physically hot when you buy it for up to 2
months..you have to spread it out then spray it down with water..keeps heat
for a long time -Mike

It wasn't hot when I bought it. It had already cooled down.

I used it - as is - to fill all my containers last year.
Every single thing I planted in it grew wonderfully. This
was about ten different vegetables: I had marvelous results
with every one.

I had the kind of picture-perfect plants you see in
seed-catalog photos, in fact, except for the collards which
were eaten by cabbage worms. I'll cover the brassicas up
with floating row cover or nylon netting this year.

I'm sold on container gardening in general, and on the
spent-mushroom soil in particular.

Pat

Hot hot hot hot! PC Australia 1 10-01-2010 11:38 AM
Hot pepper's not hot?? Pepperqueen Gardening 2 13-08-2004 03:23 PM