Old 02-03-2008, 06:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Sprouted Onions

My onions from the store didn't get cooked enough, so now they've sprouted.
I'm planning on planting them, but have never successfully done onion
before. (I tried planting seeds from the store, but that didn't work out.)

Any suggestions or advice? I think I'm in Zone 6, Central Illinois. (I
haven't checked a zone map recently, though, so I may be off by one.)

Puckdropper
marching band.

Old 02-03-2008, 05:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

On 02 Mar 2008 05:10:24 GMT, Puckdropper
wrote:

My onions from the store didn't get cooked enough, so now they've sprouted.
I'm planning on planting them, but have never successfully done onion
before. (I tried planting seeds from the store, but that didn't work out.)

Any suggestions or advice? I think I'm in Zone 6, Central Illinois. (I
haven't checked a zone map recently, though, so I may be off by one.)

Puckdropper

An onion is classed as a biennial which means it normally takes 2
years to go from seed to seed.
Having sprouted, your onions will be starting their second year and
will want to flower.
They will probably produce an enlarged bulb but, it will have a flower
stock up through the center plus it will be much less dense than a
first year plant. Because of this it will have a very short storage
life.
Better to try again from (fresh) seed.
One other option is to plant your sprouted onions, let them flower and
go to seed, then harvest the seed.

Ross.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

My onions from the store didn't get cooked enough, so now they've sprouted.
I'm planning on planting them, but have never successfully done onion
before. (I tried planting seeds from the store, but that didn't work out.)

Any suggestions or advice? I think I'm in Zone 6, Central Illinois. (I
haven't checked a zone map recently, though, so I may be off by one.)

Puckdropper

I don't know how your sprouted onions might work out but here in
central Ohio, after many years of planting sets I switched to seeds a
few years back and have far better results. You must use a long day
variety for our climate. The key for me has been early planting in a
bed prepared the previous year and covering the seeds with seed
starting mix or compost, not the heavy clay mix in my garden.

Old 02-03-2008, 09:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Puckdropper wrote:

My onions from the store didn't get cooked enough, so now they've sprouted.
I'm planning on planting them, but have never successfully done onion
before. (I tried planting seeds from the store, but that didn't work out.)

Any suggestions or advice? I think I'm in Zone 6, Central Illinois. (I
haven't checked a zone map recently, though, so I may be off by one.)

Puckdropper

The trick to keep them from rotting is good drainage.
I'd suggest raised beds with lots of sand. That is what has worked for
me.
--
Peace, Om
Remove underscore to validate gmails.

"Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have
come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first."
-- Mark Twain
Old 03-03-2008, 05:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

My onions did well last seasson I dog a hole six inches deeper than i plnted
the bulbs and springled some fertilizer covered the hole and then planted
the sets about 2 inches deep. I had really big onions. I did seeds and sets
this year.