Old 26-02-2008, 05:07 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default Upside down tomatos

SteveB wrote:
I have seen on TV these upside down tomato containers. They look like, and
probably are simple bags that let you grow tomatos in a hanging position
upside down.

I have raised tomatos in Louisiana for about six years, so am familiar with
a lot of the basics. I now live in Utah, and although it is quite a
different climate here, some of the basics apply.

Has anyone ever tried these? Do they work? Could one build some of the
same thing out of say, burlap bags, as I believe they would probably last
only one season anyway?

Or just grow them the right way?

Steve

Made out of what looks to be 2 or 3 litter pop bottles.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/program...n/photostream/

Made out of buckets
http://www.dailyherald.com/special/g...den/tomato.asp

Using those hanging baskets
http://picasaweb.google.com/mrsnierh...97960128460578

Anyway, I think burlap would work but you might want to line the inside
with plastic before you build your dirt sack, that way it would cut back
on watering.

I'd actually always wanted to try that.. I've got a few buckets on
hand.. Maybe I'll whip up one and play a bit..

Old 26-02-2008, 05:34 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Val Val is offline

"SteveB" meagain@rockvilleUSA wrote in message
I have seen on TV these upside down tomato containers. They look like, and
probably are simple bags that let you grow tomatos in a hanging position
upside down.

I have raised tomatos in Louisiana for about six years, so am familiar
with a lot of the basics. I now live in Utah, and although it is quite a
different climate here, some of the basics apply.

Has anyone ever tried these? Do they work? Could one build some of the
same thing out of say, burlap bags, as I believe they would probably last
only one season anyway?

Or just grow them the right way?

Steve

I saw these things at last week's garden show. They are reinforced plastic
bags. So why do you want to use them, just want to dink around with
something new, growing area restraints, want to be the first in your
neighborhood or have you never been able to grow a decent tomato plant and
are desperate to try anything?

Val

Val

Old 26-02-2008, 05:46 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Val Val is offline

"Scott Hildenbrand" wrote in message
Made out of what looks to be 2 or 3 litter pop bottles.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/program...n/photostream/

Those poor plants just don't look happy. Probably not going to be enough
soil to keep the plants going in the long haul. I'd think that the clear
plastic would cook the roots when the sun is in full on summer mode.

Made out of buckets
http://www.dailyherald.com/special/g...den/tomato.asp

The guy across the street has two 5 gallon white buckets hanging on his
balcony he grows tomatoes in. They always seem to do pretty well. He grows
herbs in the top of the buckets.

Using those hanging baskets

http://picasaweb.google.com/mrsnierh...sting....still looks weird, I like the lobelia better Val

Old 26-02-2008, 06:18 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

SteveB wrote:

I have seen on TV these upside down tomato containers. They look like, and
probably are simple bags that let you grow tomatos in a hanging position
upside down.

I have raised tomatos in Louisiana for about six years, so am familiar with
a lot of the basics. I now live in Utah, and although it is quite a
different climate here, some of the basics apply.

Has anyone ever tried these? Do they work? Could one build some of the
same thing out of say, burlap bags, as I believe they would probably last
only one season anyway?

Or just grow them the right way?

Steve

Steve,

The ones that they sell are EXTREMELY overpriced (usually about $10 per
bag). If you want to try to grow upside down tomatoes you can make your
own up side down containers. One year I took some three liter soft
drink bottles and cut off the bottoms, poked some hole near the bottom,
used some twine for hangers and planted a tomato plant in each one. The
ones that did the best were the smaller type plants (determinate). They
were all hung in a nice sunny area of the garden and all produced a good
crop. Comparing them to the same type of plant that were grown in the
ground the only advantage that I saw was that the upside down ones
produced tomatoes a few days earlier than the "in ground" tomatoes. The
BIG disadvantage that I found was that the 3 liter containers had to be
watered daily (if it didn't rain).

I might give them a try again this year because the grand kids seen them
on TV and expressed an interest in trying them. I've been looking
around for a cheap alternative to the bags that they sell but I think
three liter bottles are as cheap as you can get.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Gardening for over 40 years

Digital Camera - Pentax *ist DL

Old 26-02-2008, 06:28 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Val wrote:
"Scott Hildenbrand" wrote in message
Made out of what looks to be 2 or 3 litter pop bottles.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/program...n/photostream/

Those poor plants just don't look happy. Probably not going to be enough
soil to keep the plants going in the long haul. I'd think that the clear
plastic would cook the roots when the sun is in full on summer mode.

Made out of buckets
http://www.dailyherald.com/special/g...den/tomato.asp

The guy across the street has two 5 gallon white buckets hanging on his
balcony he grows tomatoes in. They always seem to do pretty well. He grows
herbs in the top of the buckets.

Using those hanging baskets

http://picasaweb.google.com/mrsnierh...sting....still looks weird, I like the lobelia better Val

Yeah.. I think the best DIY bet would be those 5 gallon buckets.. I had
several I cleaned and kept when I sealed the driveway at the old house.

Seems like the bigger the container the better the plants do, which is
no surprise.
Old 26-02-2008, 06:42 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"Val" wrote in message

[...]

Huh? Please reread my post when you are sober.

Steve

Old 27-02-2008, 01:44 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 09:34:02 -0800, "Val"
wrote:

I saw these things at last week's garden show. They are reinforced plastic
bags. So why do you want to use them, just want to dink around with
something new, growing area restraints, want to be the first in your
neighborhood or have you never been able to grow a decent tomato plant and
are desperate to try anything?

Because we can.

Penelope

- "pointed"
Old 27-02-2008, 01:52 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 09:31:40 -0800, "SteveB"
meagain@rockvilleUSA wrote:

Has anyone ever tried these? Do they work? Could one build some of the
same thing out of say, burlap bags, as I believe they would probably last
only one season anyway?

I got some on sale for Christmas gifts, and kept one. The plastic
is heavy, and I think it will last more than one season. I'm
going to try a couple of 5 gallon buckets, too. I thought I'd
put tomatoes in the bottom and and a chile pepper and cilantro in
the top and have little salsa gardens dotted about the yard.

I even thought about buying one of those hard plastic hanging
flower pots that have openings on the sides and bottom, and
putting some smallish, bushy pepper plants like a Criolla Sella
in there. They're kinda expensive, and the root space would be
pretty limited, so I probably won't. It would look pretty cool,
though.

Or just grow them the right way?

That, too.

Penelope

- "pointed"
Old 27-02-2008, 02:16 AM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

"Jangchub" wrote in message
On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 13:18:12 -0500, Bill R
wrote:

SteveB wrote:

[...]

If you have five gallon buckets, poke holes all along the bottom and
sides and hang those upside down with the tomato plants in them.

Just saw the ad and was curious. I think I'll just wait until the local
nursery starts selling them, then grow them in the customary way, and do
what I did before. Nothing like fresh tomatos.

Steve

Old 27-02-2008, 02:56 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

wrote:

SteveB wrote:

[...]

The only thought I had about this was that some of the tomatoe plants
get mildewed or moldy or spotty leaves and start dropping them from
getting water on the leaves. Any overwatering would go right to the
foliage and could promote what ever that is. It would be so much
easier to pick them with them higher and with less foliage though,
that I've wanted to try it.
Our Amish farmer friends place the plants between two fences about a
foot apart and let them 'climb' between them. They remove some of the
foliage and have less reason to water. The plants produce
voluminously, and are easy to see and get to. Trying to get DH to put
up the fences this year.
Olde Hippee
Old 28-02-2008, 08:06 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
z z is offline

On Feb 26, 12:46*pm, "Val" wrote:
"Scott Hildenbrand" wrote in message

... Made out of what looks to be 2 or 3 litter pop bottles.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/program...n/photostream/

Those poor plants just don't look happy. Probably not going to be enough
soil to keep the plants going in the long haul. I'd think that the clear
plastic would cook the roots when the sun is in full on summer mode.

Made out of buckets
http://www.dailyherald.com/special/g...den/tomato.asp

The guy across the street has two 5 gallon white buckets hanging on his
balcony he grows tomatoes in. They always seem to do pretty well. He grows
herbs in the top of the buckets.

Using those hanging baskets

*http://picasaweb.google.com/mrsnierh...51057....looks weird, I like the lobelia better Val

yeah, i agree; you're going to want way more dirt for optimum results.
the other part of the idea, hanging the tomatoes instead of leaving
them to sprawl is good, except that it's just as easy to tie them to a
trellis or something and grow up.

if i had a nice sunny hot patch of garden, i'd grow the tomatoes
there; if not, then in a larger bucket or garbage can full of dirt in
a sunny hot spot.

that said, maybe i'll try one of those hangy things, just to see.

i suppose one advantage is that you'd be protected from that bacterial
diseas that's in all the soil hereabouts.
Old 28-02-2008, 08:07 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
z z is offline

wrote:

SteveB wrote:

[...]

sides and hang those upside down with the tomato plants in them.- Hide quoted text -

Might just plant the tomatoes regular side up, and just stand on my
head when i garden them.

Old 28-02-2008, 09:15 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article
,

*http://picasaweb.google.com/mrsnierh...to#51057...loo
ks weird, I like the lobelia better Val

yeah, i agree; you're going to want way more dirt for optimum results.
the other part of the idea, hanging the tomatoes instead of leaving
them to sprawl is good, except that it's just as easy to tie them to a
trellis or something and grow up.

if i had a nice sunny hot patch of garden, i'd grow the tomatoes
there; if not, then in a larger bucket or garbage can full of dirt in
a sunny hot spot.

that said, maybe i'll try one of those hangy things, just to see.

i suppose one advantage is that you'd be protected from that bacterial
diseas that's in all the soil hereabouts.

I'm curious. As someone else mentioned, gardeners are normally cautioned
not to wet the leaves of the tomato plants. How do you avoid that, when
they are upside down?
--

Billy

Impeach Pelosi, Bush & Cheney to the Hague
http://rachelcorriefoundation.org/site/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Movemen...George_W._Bush