GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   garlic mustard (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/17143-garlic-mustard.html)

Dianna Visek 21-04-2003 11:20 PM

garlic mustard

Around here we have a pesty but beautiful plant called garlic mustard.
It was brought over by settlers as a condiment and self-seeds so
readily that the Illinois conservation dept. has outlawed it. The
crushed leaves do indeed smell like garlic and mustard.

Does anybody know how garlic mustard is supposed to be used (as a
condiment)?

Thanks, Dianna
To reply, please remove "fluff" from my address.

Pat Kiewicz 22-04-2003 12:20 PM

garlic mustard

Dianna Visek said:

Around here we have a pesty but beautiful plant called garlic mustard.
It was brought over by settlers as a condiment and self-seeds so
readily that the Illinois conservation dept. has outlawed it. The
crushed leaves do indeed smell like garlic and mustard.

Does anybody know how garlic mustard is supposed to be used (as a
condiment)?

Usethem as you would mustard greens.

I don't expect is would make you quite as pungeant as eating ramps would,
but a bit of a garlic reek should be anticipated.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

simy1 22-04-2003 03:08 PM

garlic mustard

(Dianna Visek) wrote in message ...
Around here we have a pesty but beautiful plant called garlic mustard.
It was brought over by settlers as a condiment and self-seeds so
readily that the Illinois conservation dept. has outlawed it. The
crushed leaves do indeed smell like garlic and mustard.

Does anybody know how garlic mustard is supposed to be used (as a
condiment)?

Thanks, Dianna
To reply, please remove "fluff" from my address.

Garlic mustard is not very good. I have tried it and despise it. Right
now if you want a salad you can get dandelion leaves (the less lobed,
the better), daylily shoots, field cress, sheep sorrel, and violet
leaves. Later you can use tender grape leaves (best if they have not
yet turned color) and plantains. I also have mache growing in my lawn,
though I don't care because by now I have enough greens in the garden,
specially sorrel.