Old 22-04-2003, 02:20 AM
Kathy

Default Darn Those Leaf Eaters ! Who are They?

At night something is munching on our bean and zucchini leaves. They are
nibblers cause it takes several nights to chew up one tiny leaf. Anyone have
any idea what it is? Do mice eat veggies? Are ants vegetarian. I have
circled the plants with salt and ant poison so far but would love to hear
from anyone that has any idea what might be eating our veggies, its very
discouraging here in extreme southern California. Thanks for any help.
Kathy

Old 22-04-2003, 01:20 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Kathy said:

At night something is munching on our bean and zucchini leaves. They are
nibblers cause it takes several nights to chew up one tiny leaf. Anyone have
any idea what it is? Do mice eat veggies? Are ants vegetarian. I have
circled the plants with salt and ant poison so far but would love to hear
from anyone that has any idea what might be eating our veggies, its very
discouraging here in extreme southern California. Thanks for any help.

I'd suspect earwigs, if you haven't seen any beetles hanging about
during the day. They tend to tatter young growth.

Voles (mouse-like rodents) will eat vegetables, but usually clip off entire leaves
and blossoms at once, not slowly nibble away at them.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 22-04-2003, 01:56 PM
Pat Meadows

On Tue, 22 Apr 2003 00:14:02 GMT, "Kathy"
wrote:

At night something is munching on our bean and zucchini leaves. They are
nibblers cause it takes several nights to chew up one tiny leaf. Anyone have
any idea what it is? Do mice eat veggies? Are ants vegetarian. I have
circled the plants with salt and ant poison so far but would love to hear
from anyone that has any idea what might be eating our veggies, its very
discouraging here in extreme southern California. Thanks for any help.

Slugs (in spite of the salt)? Snails?

Pat
Old 24-04-2003, 02:20 AM
len

"Kathy" wrote in message
.. .
At night something is munching on our bean and zucchini leaves. They are
nibblers cause it takes several nights to chew up one tiny leaf. Anyone

have
any idea what it is? Do mice eat veggies? Are ants vegetarian. I have
circled the plants with salt and ant poison so far but would love to hear
from anyone that has any idea what might be eating our veggies, its very
discouraging here in extreme southern California. Thanks for any help.
Kathy

It doesn't sound like a major problem. I wouldn't put salt on the soil.
Years ago, a Roman senator had Rome Salt the soil of Carthage, in reprisal,
for Hannibal's assault, nothing grows there still.

Old 24-04-2003, 11:44 PM
ShambhalaPottery

If the damage is only occurring at night, it ounds like snails or slugs, which
are quite abundant in California. Go out with a flashlight when it's dark and
you might find them munching.
You can put out a few saucers of beer. They like it and they drown in it; or
you can just do nightly raids and collect them and put them in the trash can.
If you're getting daytime chewing, you might have some grasshoppers. That's
what's been chewing on my veggies the past week or so, here in Central Florida.

Regards,
June