Old 04-05-2008, 06:49 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default Grey laundry water for garden watering?

In article ,
"Dioclese" NONE wrote:

"Billy" wrote in message
In article
,
Laura at theGardenPages wrote:

I know, I hate to see all that water to down the drain too! I've used
my laundry water for the lawn and shrubs with no problem. I haven't
tried it on veggies.

If you use boi-degradeable SOAP not detergent you can use the wash
water. The rinse water is fine by you have to be careful about that
fabric softener.

Plus, deep watering is better for shrubs than a sprinkling anyway.
Good for you!

Perfect storm indeed. We had good rain Nov. to March and then the driest
March-April ever. We are looking at sever water rationing at the same
time the price of food is skyrocketing. I think I need a water tank.
--

Billy
http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=7WBB0s...eature=related

All my piped wastewater goes to the leech field via the septic tank. Due to
the low permeability of my local soil, I opted for an above ground leech
field. It the size of a very large putting green. Soil depth is too deep
to have any concern of grass rootage affecting the leech piping. But, at
the same time, enough water is drained to keep the grass from drying out in
drought periods...

And I'll bet it's REALLY green! :-)

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."
-- Jack Nicholson
Old 04-05-2008, 06:49 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article ,
Jonno wrote:

Food grade poly drums are available from canneries. They buy their
vinegar in them.

Jan
Also beware of mosquitos.
That is likely to happen.
Use BT dunks.

That will keep mosquitos out of standing water?
Put in some goldfish. Theyre organic eat mossies, and you can always eat
them when they grow big enough.

But carp are so bony! ;-)

I'd personally vote for bass or crappie minnows!

Any recipes for crappie minnows?;-))

Just eat 'em whole! Sushi.

Old 04-05-2008, 06:51 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Jonno wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
Jonno wrote:

Food grade poly drums are available from canneries. They buy their
vinegar in them.

Jan
Also beware of mosquitos.
That is likely to happen.
Use BT dunks.
That will keep mosquitos out of standing water?
Put in some goldfish. Theyre organic eat mossies, and you can always eat
them when they grow big enough.

But carp are so bony! ;-)

I'd personally vote for bass or crappie minnows!

Trout are also a good alternative, but it rooly depends on the size of
the tank.
Mossies are not really problem. Just put in some fly screens mesh (in
the tank stoopid) not in the windows.
Really some people have no imagination, and neither have they got a
sense of humus...er humour? you git my vote omelet. Bacon with that?

Indeed... Gotta fry the fish in bacon grease. ;-d

A little veggie or mineral oil on top of the water kills skeeter larvae
too.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:13 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
Jonno wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
Jonno wrote:

[...]

Yup, and kerosene works even better. Wonder what it does to the plants
though.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:20 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Jonno wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
Jonno wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
Jonno wrote:

[...]

That is why I suggested a neutral oil. g

All it does is prevent them from breathing so they suffocate.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:40 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
Jonno wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
Jonno wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
Jonno wrote:

[...]

Yah, I was thinking to fry the little critters (g)
You are so cruel. Fire is faster. Dont take much to give dem fish lung
cancer...
Old 04-05-2008, 11:33 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Jonno wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
Jonno wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
Jonno wrote:

Omelet wrote:
In article ,
Jonno wrote:

[...]

In that case... see above.
Peanut oil is good too. Coat the fishies lightly in spiced up corn
starch and DEEP FRY!
Bacon grease. ;-D

Old 04-05-2008, 03:53 PM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article ,
Jonno wrote:

Food grade poly drums are available from canneries. They buy their
vinegar in them.

Jan
Also beware of mosquitos.
That is likely to happen.
Use BT dunks.

That will keep mosquitos out of standing water?
Put in some goldfish. Theyre organic eat mossies, and you can always
eat
them when they grow big enough.

But carp are so bony! ;-)

I'd personally vote for bass or crappie minnows!

Any recipes for crappie minnows?;-))

Just eat 'em whole! Sushi.

I like my fish well done and flakey and who you callin' Sushi? Is that a
speech impediment or somethin'?;-)
--

Billy
http://www.counterpunch.org/martin05022008.html
Old 04-05-2008, 05:26 PM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article ,
Jonno wrote:

Food grade poly drums are available from canneries. They buy
their
vinegar in them.

Jan
Also beware of mosquitos.
That is likely to happen.
Use BT dunks.

That will keep mosquitos out of standing water?
Put in some goldfish. Theyre organic eat mossies, and you can always
eat
them when they grow big enough.

But carp are so bony! ;-)

I'd personally vote for bass or crappie minnows!

Any recipes for crappie minnows?;-))

Just eat 'em whole! Sushi.

I like my fish well done and flakey and who you callin' Sushi? Is that a
speech impediment or somethin'?;-)

Sashimi... ;-)

Old 04-05-2008, 06:10 PM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

Sashimi... ;-)

Oh, my god.

Sashimi is a Japanese delicacy primarily consisting of very fresh raw
seafood, sliced into thin pieces . . .
A reputed motivation for serving wasabi with sashimi (and also gari,
pickled ginger), besides its flavor, is killing harmful bacteria and
parasites that could be present in raw seafood.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sashimi

I was going to have breakfast, now I have to wait for the room to
stop spinning:-P

Old 04-05-2008, 07:10 PM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

Sashimi... ;-)

Oh, my god.

Sashimi is a Japanese delicacy primarily consisting of very fresh raw
seafood, sliced into thin pieces . . .
A reputed motivation for serving wasabi with sashimi (and also gari,
pickled ginger), besides its flavor, is killing harmful bacteria and
parasites that could be present in raw seafood.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sashimi

I was going to have breakfast, now I have to wait for the room to
stop spinning:-P

Sorry. ;-)

While I like cooked fish, sometimes I'm just in the mood for really
"fresh" food...

Steak Tartar is the most obvious one, but there are others using thinly
sliced raw beef in a salad, but I can't remember what it's called. The
trick to making it really good is using really _lean_ beef as, to me,
raw beef fat is nasty. :-P

Sometimes I just crave raw beef. I probably need the iron. It's a girl
thing.

I generally use Top round:

http://i16.tinypic.com/5xywje1.jpg

Dipped in a bit of soy sauce and/or raw egg yolk. ;-d

Old 04-05-2008, 07:29 PM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

[...]

Followup to my own post now that I looked at the wiki link (sorry!)

Carpaccio. That's the dish I could not remember the name of. Thanks for
the Wiki link!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carpaccio

I've seen it served with slices of fresh tomato and fresh basil leaves
too, much like Insalata Caprice. But, that's served with fresh made
cheese slices.

Old 04-05-2008, 08:37 PM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

[...]

Maybe I'll just wait for dinner.
Seen "Into the Wild", yet? Seems like it might be your kind of
movie.

Old 04-05-2008, 08:42 PM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

[...]

Casu Marzu, no doubt;-)
Well a fast isn't such a bad thing.

Old 04-05-2008, 10:42 PM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Sat, 03 May 2008 10:13:05 -0500, Omelet wrote:

In article ,
Jonno wrote:

Food grade poly drums are available from canneries. They buy their
vinegar in them.

Jan
Also beware of mosquitos.
That is likely to happen.
Use BT dunks.

That will keep mosquitos out of standing water?
Put in some goldfish. Theyre organic eat mossies, and you can always eat
them when they grow big enough.

But carp are so bony! ;-)

I'd personally vote for bass or crappie minnows!
--

Oh dear me......carp is our absolutlyist favoritist fish for plate!!

Bony yes, *but* skinned and properly scored and lightly dusted and
scores lightly packed with flour/cornmeal and deep fried.....oh my.

The scoring of the flesh is *the* key to proper carp. Scoring, for
those who aren't familiar, is running your *very* sharp knife from
backbone down perpendiculary to the bellyside, cutting thru all the
tiny bones, but not the ribs, or cutting clear thru the fish. From
head to tail. You score as closely as possible, no more than 1/8 in
apart. You can feel all the little hairbones being cut. Deep frying
then reduces the tiny bones to nothing, though one still must exercise
the usual caution when eating fish.

Oh lordy, Charlie and Mrs. Charlie are looking forward to fresh carp,
coleslaw and fried taters and cornbread....just your mention of carp
has me salivating like Pavlov's pup......

Charlie

Once again my dad would have me out on the swamp ice. Break a hole and
shoot carp that came for air. 1955

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA