Old 05-05-2008, 05:48 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Default Grey laundry water for garden watering?

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Sun, 04 May 2008 19:51:18 -0400, Bill wrote:

In article , Charlie wrote:

You probably don't like pickled beets either. Shame....after you eat
'em you can throw in hardboiled eggs and in a couple
weeks.......mmmmmmmm.

We sort of think of this as pickled eggs dyed red.

Bill German good stuff

Oh yes indeed....you have some *great* food heritage...we love german
eats.

When we lived in KC, we found one authentic german eatery, hole in the
wall that opened into Munich, authentic german proprietors, best
schnitzel ala holstein and fried cabbage I ever had......second best
food in town......gates bbq was first. ;-)

My heritage, scots, gives us haggis.......need I say more. But, we
also contribute Glenlivet.......

Charlie, who has a pig butt on the smoker as we speak...pulled pork
sammies for the youngsters tomorrow.

Sounds tasty. I did a big batch of braised chicken drumsticks today,
(they were on sale for $.99 per lb. for an 8 lb. bag) and a hyooge pot
of black rice cooked in pork and veggie stock.

Peace! Om

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a Bitch."
-- Jack Nicholson
Old 05-05-2008, 05:50 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

Most of the time, I cook my steak rare. ;-d

http://i4.tinypic.com/4mkzc40.jpg

Seared on the outside, chilled, and served in a salad.
A creative way to serve steak leftovers!

Try marinading the thinly cut beef in vinaigrette for an hour or two, or
over night. Serve with cold leeks or asparagus cut into 1" to 2"
lengths, and French bread. Bread, cheese, and red wine, afterwards.
--

Billy

Ooh, sounds yummy! I often use a vinaigrette marinade for grilled
chicken over a wood fire. Marinating the asparagus prior to grilling
works too. I have one of those veggie grill thingies for the wood grill.

Old 05-05-2008, 05:55 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Hm. Carp is considered a trash fish here. I may have to re-assess that,
thanks!

You should, at least once. Folks most places consider them trashfish.

I'm wondering if there is a fillet technique for them.

Fixing carp is easy. Get a large pot. Fill with water, put a half dozen or
so rocks on the bottom. Bring to boil. Add 1 large or several small carp.
Cut up as needed so they fit in pot. Add salt and pepper, not too much. Boil
for about 20 minutes - fish tend to cook fast. Discard carp, remove and eat
rocks.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:01 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article , Charlie wrote:

Hm. Carp is considered a trash fish here. I may have to re-assess that,
thanks!

You should, at least once. Folks most places consider them trashfish.

I'm wondering if there is a fillet technique for them.

And I wonderin' if 'en there isn't somethin' more wonderful than
someone who will listen to what is bein' said.
Thanks for bein' there.
--

Billy
http://www.counterpunch.org/martin05022008.html
Old 05-05-2008, 06:44 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Sun, 04 May 2008 23:33:28 -0500, Omelet wrote:

In article , Charlie wrote:

Can you fillet them?

Nope. After you cut off the heads and tails and fins and gut 'em, use
a pair of pliers (catfish skinning pliars work well) and pull the skin
off. Not tearing of chunks of meat is a good idea. ;-) After you
score them, and score them deep, both sides...cut them in 4-5 in
chunks...the tail piece is the best, IMO.

Ah nevermind. I missed reading this the first time...
Sounds a lot like preparing catfish except those are not scored.
--

Yep. It is pretty quick after you get the hang of it.

BTW....if so inclined, both the roe sacs (female) and milt sacs (male)
are good eating...awfully rich, in particular the carp nuts. We
hillbillys like our oysters of any sorts. ;-)

Charlie

I've eaten roe sacks but have not tried milt sacks.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:45 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article , Charlie wrote:

For tinnitus, try running a fan at night.
Works well for me.

I have trouble sleeping without one now. ;-)

Glad to know we aren't the only ones like this. Fan always at night.
When we travel we must carry a fan. Winter and summer. Night silence
is....unnerving. ;-)

I've met others like this too.
When I went hunting last month, the dead silence out on the prairie
(except for the occasional screech of the barn owls in the old shed next
to the trailer) made it so I could not sleep. I bought a small fan at
wal-mart post-haste!

Old 05-05-2008, 06:48 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
"Zootal" wrote:

Hm. Carp is considered a trash fish here. I may have to re-assess that,
thanks!

You should, at least once. Folks most places consider them trashfish.

I'm wondering if there is a fillet technique for them.

Fixing carp is easy. Get a large pot. Fill with water, put a half dozen or
so rocks on the bottom. Bring to boil. Add 1 large or several small carp.
Cut up as needed so they fit in pot. Add salt and pepper, not too much. Boil
for about 20 minutes - fish tend to cook fast. Discard carp, remove and eat
rocks.

;-D

Thanks for the chuckle!

Old 05-05-2008, 06:49 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article ,
Omelet wrote:

In article , Charlie wrote:

Hm. Carp is considered a trash fish here. I may have to re-assess that,
thanks!

You should, at least once. Folks most places consider them trashfish.

I'm wondering if there is a fillet technique for them.

And I wonderin' if 'en there isn't somethin' more wonderful than
someone who will listen to what is bein' said.
Thanks for bein' there.

That's what I get for not reading the entire post before replying. g
I was not fully awake yet. ;-)

Sorry!

Old 05-05-2008, 06:50 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article , Charlie wrote:

My heritage, scots, gives us haggis.......need I say more. But, we
also contribute Glenlivet.......

Charlie, who has a pig butt on the smoker as we speak...pulled pork
sammies for the youngsters tomorrow.

Sounds tasty. I did a big batch of braised chicken drumsticks today,
(they were on sale for $.99 per lb. for an 8 lb. bag) and a hyooge pot
of black rice cooked in pork and veggie stock.
--

Oh yeah, sounds extra tasty! If nuthin' else, we on wrecked gardens
sure do eat well!

Makes it hard to stretch oftimes! ;-)

Charlie

I'm wondering if I ought to try preparing a Haggis recipe using Tripe.
Sheep stomach is not available at the grocery stores here. ;-)

Old 05-05-2008, 06:51 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Sun, 4 May 2008 21:55:26 -0700, "Zootal"
wrote:

Hm. Carp is considered a trash fish here. I may have to re-assess that,
thanks!

You should, at least once. Folks most places consider them trashfish.

I'm wondering if there is a fillet technique for them.

Fixing carp is easy. Get a large pot. Fill with water, put a half dozen or
so rocks on the bottom. Bring to boil. Add 1 large or several small carp.
Cut up as needed so they fit in pot. Add salt and pepper, not too much. Boil
for about 20 minutes - fish tend to cook fast. Discard carp, remove and eat
rocks.

yeah yeah yeah.....similar to the old put a carp on a cedar plank and
bake for thirty minutes then toss the carp and eat the plank. ;-)

Seriously, if you ever had a proper carp, you would sing a different
song. :-)

Betcha never ate gar either. Easy and better'n you would think.

Care
Charlie

We have alligator gar around here. I've noted that many fisherman toss
them on the bank.

I've never caught one. Might consider spear fishing for one. I'm not
convinced an average fishing line would hold one with those teeth!

Old 05-05-2008, 07:36 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

Charlie wrote in message

Oh dear me......carp is our absolutlyist favoritist fish for plate!!

Charlie, you are not going to believe this, but here in Aus, they are used
as a fertiliser. And it is called (wait for it) 'Charlie Carp':
http://www.charliecarp.com/

Old 05-05-2008, 08:15 AM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article , Charlie wrote:

On Mon, 05 May 2008 00:50:27 -0500, Omelet wrote:

In article , Charlie wrote:

My heritage, scots, gives us haggis.......need I say more. But, we
also contribute Glenlivet.......

Charlie, who has a pig butt on the smoker as we speak...pulled pork
sammies for the youngsters tomorrow.

Sounds tasty. I did a big batch of braised chicken drumsticks today,
(they were on sale for $.99 per lb. for an 8 lb. bag) and a hyooge pot
of black rice cooked in pork and veggie stock.
--

Oh yeah, sounds extra tasty! If nuthin' else, we on wrecked gardens
sure do eat well!

Makes it hard to stretch oftimes! ;-)

Charlie

I'm wondering if I ought to try preparing a Haggis recipe using Tripe.

NO! Simply fry the tripe and call it good!

Charlie

You'd have to have very good teeth to eat fried tripe. g
It's normally used in Menudo and either slow cooked or pressure cooked!

Old 05-05-2008, 04:00 PM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article , Charlie wrote:

My heritage, scots, gives us haggis.......need I say more. But, we
also contribute Glenlivet.......

Charlie, who has a pig butt on the smoker as we speak...pulled pork
sammies for the youngsters tomorrow.

Sounds tasty. I did a big batch of braised chicken drumsticks today,
(they were on sale for $.99 per lb. for an 8 lb. bag) and a hyooge pot
of black rice cooked in pork and veggie stock.
--

Oh yeah, sounds extra tasty! If nuthin' else, we on wrecked gardens
sure do eat well!

Makes it hard to stretch oftimes! ;-)

Charlie

I'm wondering if I ought to try preparing a Haggis recipe using Tripe.

NO! Simply fry the tripe and call it good!

Charlie

You'd have to have very good teeth to eat fried tripe. g

Same thing with sheep's stomach. It's Nature's natural protection
against haggis;-)

Old 05-05-2008, 04:02 PM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

Charlie wrote in message

Oh dear me......carp is our absolutlyist favoritist fish for plate!!

Charlie, you are not going to believe this, but here in Aus, they are used
as a fertiliser. And it is called (wait for it) 'Charlie Carp':
http://www.charliecarp.com/

This should be good;-))
--

Billy
Old 05-05-2008, 04:27 PM posted to aus.gardens,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible

In article
,
Billy wrote:

In article
,

Charlie wrote in message

Oh dear me......carp is our absolutlyist favoritist fish for plate!!

Charlie, you are not going to believe this, but here in Aus, they are used
as a fertiliser. And it is called (wait for it) 'Charlie Carp':
http://www.charliecarp.com/

This should be good;-))

International carp recipes in one place. Some not the carp mentioned
here some are.

http://fooddownunder.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=carp

I guess one man's fertilizer is another man's delicacy.

Ominivore's

Bill

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA