GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Growing Amaranth (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/173840-growing-amaranth.html)

George.com 04-05-2008 11:39 AM

Growing Amaranth

Has anyone tried growing Amaranth grain in your back yard? I'd be interested
to hear your thoughts.

rob

phorbin 05-05-2008 04:06 AM

Growing Amaranth

In article , says...
Has anyone tried growing Amaranth grain in your back yard? I'd be interested
to hear your thoughts.

rob

Not yet, but we will be in late May.

I take heart from this...

http://www.saltspringseeds.com/scoop/powerfood.htm

We have a good soil, but our growing season in zone 5 in SW Ontario
might be marginal for maturation.

If it works and we like it, I might try to pick up a garden allotment or
two to let us expand our options next year and maybe try quinoa.

phorbin 05-05-2008 03:07 PM

Growing Amaranth

In article , Charlie says...

Perhaps the old ways, old crops are best, eh?

I had to think about this for a minute.

My answer is an unqualified yes to the former and to the latter, a yes
to what I think you mean. That is, NA old crops are best for NA.

The Cook 05-05-2008 03:35 PM

Growing Amaranth

On Sun, 04 May 2008 21:41:26 -0500, Charlie wrote:

On Sun, 4 May 2008 22:06:59 -0500, phorbin wrote:

In article , says...
Has anyone tried growing Amaranth grain in your back yard? I'd be interested
to hear your thoughts.

rob

Not yet, but we will be in late May.

I take heart from this...

http://www.saltspringseeds.com/scoop/powerfood.htm

We have a good soil, but our growing season in zone 5 in SW Ontario
might be marginal for maturation.

If it works and we like it, I might try to pick up a garden allotment or
two to let us expand our options next year and maybe try quinoa.

Thanks for the site. We are trying both this year.

Perhaps the old ways, old crops are best, eh?

We've had commercial quinoa and amaranth and we like both.

Charlie

I am afraid that it is too late for me (northwest NC) to try quinoa
this spring. I am thinking about planting in September. How long to
maturity?
--
Susan N.

phorbin 06-05-2008 06:25 PM

Growing Amaranth

In article , Charlie says...
On Mon, 5 May 2008 09:07:48 -0500, phorbin wrote:

In article , Charlie says...

Perhaps the old ways, old crops are best, eh?

I had to think about this for a minute.

My answer is an unqualified yes to the former and to the latter, a yes
to what I think you mean. That is, NA old crops are best for NA.

Yes to the former, but now I am not sure what *you* mean, in regards to
the latter. What is NA?

Charlie, too easily cornfused

In this case North American and North America respectively.

Steve Peek 06-05-2008 06:41 PM

Growing Amaranth

"George.com" wrote in message
Has anyone tried growing Amaranth grain in your back yard? I'd be
interested to hear your thoughts.

rob

I believe both the red root pigweed and lamb's quarter are types of
amaranth. Both grow readily in my garden. The seeds of both are tasty IMHO.
Steve

Billy[_4_] 06-05-2008 07:05 PM

Growing Amaranth

In article , Charlie wrote:

In California, irrigation is required as the
crop grows primarily during California's dry season.

Just ducky, it already costs $750 worth of water to grow $150
worth of rice in the Central Valley, and we are already looking
at water restrictions which will reduce our ability to grow
our own crops.
--

Billy

Billy[_4_] 06-05-2008 07:13 PM

Growing Amaranth

In article ,
phorbin wrote:

In article , Charlie says...
On Mon, 5 May 2008 09:07:48 -0500, phorbin wrote:

In article , Charlie says...

Perhaps the old ways, old crops are best, eh?

I had to think about this for a minute.

My answer is an unqualified yes to the former and to the latter, a yes
to what I think you mean. That is, NA old crops are best for NA.

Yes to the former, but now I am not sure what *you* mean, in regards to
the latter. What is NA?

Charlie, too easily cornfused

In this case North American and North America respectively.

What, back to the "Three Sisters"? That was subsistence agriculture
and we would still have to go hunting. Include South America, with
its' tomatoes and potatoes, Mediterranean herbs,
and we can talk:-)
--

Billy

micgalnixon 02-02-2011 06:07 PM

It has been priced at $ 750 for water to grow the value of 150 worthy of a meter in the Central Valley, we have expected in the system of water, thereby reducing our ability to grow our own crops.