#1   Report Post  
Old 04-05-2008, 11:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 805
Default Growing Amaranth

Has anyone tried growing Amaranth grain in your back yard? I'd be interested
to hear your thoughts.

rob


  #2   Report Post  
Old 05-05-2008, 04:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Feb 2008
Posts: 544
Default Growing Amaranth

In article , says...
Has anyone tried growing Amaranth grain in your back yard? I'd be interested
to hear your thoughts.

rob


Not yet, but we will be in late May.

I take heart from this...

http://www.saltspringseeds.com/scoop/powerfood.htm

We have a good soil, but our growing season in zone 5 in SW Ontario
might be marginal for maturation.

If it works and we like it, I might try to pick up a garden allotment or
two to let us expand our options next year and maybe try quinoa.

  #3   Report Post  
Old 05-05-2008, 03:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Feb 2008
Posts: 544
Default Growing Amaranth

In article , Charlie says...


Perhaps the old ways, old crops are best, eh?


I had to think about this for a minute.

My answer is an unqualified yes to the former and to the latter, a yes
to what I think you mean. That is, NA old crops are best for NA.
  #4   Report Post  
Old 05-05-2008, 03:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Jul 2006
Posts: 408
Default Growing Amaranth

On Sun, 04 May 2008 21:41:26 -0500, Charlie wrote:

On Sun, 4 May 2008 22:06:59 -0500, phorbin wrote:

In article , says...
Has anyone tried growing Amaranth grain in your back yard? I'd be interested
to hear your thoughts.

rob


Not yet, but we will be in late May.

I take heart from this...

http://www.saltspringseeds.com/scoop/powerfood.htm

We have a good soil, but our growing season in zone 5 in SW Ontario
might be marginal for maturation.

If it works and we like it, I might try to pick up a garden allotment or
two to let us expand our options next year and maybe try quinoa.


Thanks for the site. We are trying both this year.

Perhaps the old ways, old crops are best, eh?

We've had commercial quinoa and amaranth and we like both.

Charlie



I am afraid that it is too late for me (northwest NC) to try quinoa
this spring. I am thinking about planting in September. How long to
maturity?
--
Susan N.

"Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral,
48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
Vittorio De Sica, Italian movie director (1901-1974)
  #5   Report Post  
Old 06-05-2008, 06:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Feb 2008
Posts: 544
Default Growing Amaranth

In article , Charlie says...
On Mon, 5 May 2008 09:07:48 -0500, phorbin wrote:

In article , Charlie says...


Perhaps the old ways, old crops are best, eh?


I had to think about this for a minute.

My answer is an unqualified yes to the former and to the latter, a yes
to what I think you mean. That is, NA old crops are best for NA.


Yes to the former, but now I am not sure what *you* mean, in regards to
the latter. What is NA?

Charlie, too easily cornfused

In this case North American and North America respectively.


  #6   Report Post  
Old 06-05-2008, 06:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Aug 2006
Posts: 417
Default Growing Amaranth


"George.com" wrote in message
...
Has anyone tried growing Amaranth grain in your back yard? I'd be
interested to hear your thoughts.

rob


I believe both the red root pigweed and lamb's quarter are types of
amaranth. Both grow readily in my garden. The seeds of both are tasty IMHO.
Steve


  #7   Report Post  
Old 06-05-2008, 07:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,265
Default Growing Amaranth

In article , Charlie wrote:

In California, irrigation is required as the
crop grows primarily during California's dry season.


Just ducky, it already costs $750 worth of water to grow $150
worth of rice in the Central Valley, and we are already looking
at water restrictions which will reduce our ability to grow
our own crops.
--

Billy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KVTf...ef=patrick.net
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0aEo...eature=related
  #8   Report Post  
Old 06-05-2008, 07:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
external usenet poster
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,265
Default Growing Amaranth

In article ,
phorbin wrote:

In article , Charlie says...
On Mon, 5 May 2008 09:07:48 -0500, phorbin wrote:

In article , Charlie says...


Perhaps the old ways, old crops are best, eh?

I had to think about this for a minute.

My answer is an unqualified yes to the former and to the latter, a yes
to what I think you mean. That is, NA old crops are best for NA.


Yes to the former, but now I am not sure what *you* mean, in regards to
the latter. What is NA?

Charlie, too easily cornfused

In this case North American and North America respectively.


What, back to the "Three Sisters"? That was subsistence agriculture
and we would still have to go hunting. Include South America, with
its' tomatoes and potatoes, Mediterranean herbs,
and we can talk:-)
--

Billy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KVTf...ef=patrick.net
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0aEo...eature=related
  #9   Report Post  
Old 02-02-2011, 06:07 PM
Registered User
 
First recorded activity by GardenBanter: Feb 2011
Posts: 6
Default

It has been priced at $ 750 for water to grow the value of 150 worthy of a meter in the Central Valley, we have expected in the system of water, thereby reducing our ability to grow our own crops.
__________________
Pond Kits


Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules

Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What is this growing in my garden? picture 2 S_edge 15th Oct 2009 growing in my garden 02 S_edge.JPG [1/2] swordedge[_3_] Garden Photos 0 15-10-2009 10:47 AM
Giant amaranth pictures sunflower_info Garden Photos 0 19-12-2008 04:49 AM
Growing Amaranth George.com Gardening 8 05-05-2008 07:13 AM
Indigestible Grass Seed - Amaranth Strange Creature Plant Science 5 04-02-2005 11:47 PM
how to get rid of fast growing grass in low growing lawn? Steve Gardening 1 18-07-2004 06:02 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:17 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2019 GardenBanter.co.uk.
The comments are property of their posters.
 

About Us

"It's about Gardening"

 

Copyright © 2017