Old 21-05-2008, 03:23 PM
Registered User

Post Planting out

Hi,

I have just bought some young plants (tomatoes, red chilli, sweet pepper, courgette, french beans) directly from the growers on www.plantconnection.co.uk, but have a dilemma. We live 1000 foot above sea level and are facing the incoming atlantic winds.
How much should we delay planting the plants outside as nature up here seems to be lagging a few weeks behind the valley.

Anna
Old 21-05-2008, 09:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Planting out

In article ,
AnnaF wrote:

Hi,

I have just bought some young plants (tomatoes, red chilli, sweet
pepper, courgette, french beans) directly from the growers on
www.plantconnection.co.uk, but have a dilemma. We live 1000 foot above
sea level and are facing the incoming atlantic winds.
How much should we delay planting the plants outside as nature up here
seems to be lagging a few weeks behind the valley.

Anna

Can you put up some fencing that will hold plastic sheeting? You can
make a windbreak. We have to do that quite a bit, here in coastal Alaska.

Jan
Old 21-05-2008, 09:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Anna,

If you can provide protection for your plants from excess wind/heat/
cold you should be able to plant out immediately. If you will be
having overnight lows in the 40s, peppers and courgettes may not
appreciate that too much.

I am using the "tomato cages" you can buy - the 3 foot ones that taper
out at the top - as mini-cloches for my peppers. I have had overnight
lows in the 40s and my plants have been out a week. They are doing
well and look terrific. I stick the cage in over the plant and wrap
it with plastic - open at the top. Keeps the winds out, we had gusts
to 30 a few days ago, all day - old news for your location I'm sure.

Good luck!
Old 22-05-2008, 04:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
says...

Hi,

I have just bought some young plants (tomatoes, red chilli, sweet
pepper, courgette, french beans) directly from the growers on
www.plantconnection.co.uk, but have a dilemma. We live 1000 foot above
sea level and are facing the incoming atlantic winds.
How much should we delay planting the plants outside as nature up here
seems to be lagging a few weeks behind the valley.

If you have neighbours with successful gardens at your altitude, why not
ask them?

They'd know the area, wind, weather, soil and planting times.
Old 22-05-2008, 08:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
phorbin wrote:

In article ,
says...

Hi,

I have just bought some young plants (tomatoes, red chilli, sweet
pepper, courgette, french beans) directly from the growers on
www.plantconnection.co.uk, but have a dilemma. We live 1000 foot above
sea level and are facing the incoming atlantic winds.
How much should we delay planting the plants outside as nature up here
seems to be lagging a few weeks behind the valley.

If you have neighbours with successful gardens at your altitude, why not
ask them?

They'd know the area, wind, weather, soil and planting times.

That's advice that many people overlook for way too long. Ask the old
timers what works and what doesn't.

But don't always believe everything they say. The homesteaders out here
said we're too high in elevation to grow raspberries. Then a bunch of
Old Believer Russians moved into the neighborhood and immediately
planted big raspberry patches that thrived. Now everyone grows them.

I planted a couple of apple trees last year. The old timers say we're
too high for apples. We'll see...

Jan in Alaska
USDA Zone 3

Old 22-05-2008, 01:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
says...
In article ,
phorbin wrote:

[...]

The stories I look for are experiential and real. I usually take them as
cautionary, not prohibitive.

Anything that hasn't been tried is open to being tried. Anything that
has failed, might work with a little ingenuity.

I planted a couple of apple trees last year. The old timers say we're
too high for apples. We'll see...

What variety?

Old 22-05-2008, 09:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
phorbin wrote:

In article ,
says...
In article ,
phorbin wrote:

[...]

Yup. That's what makes gardening so interesting : )

I planted a couple of apple trees last year. The old timers say we're
too high for apples. We'll see...

What variety?

A Yellow Transparent and a Norland. Both varieties do really well down
in town, at the lower elevations. I'm up at 1600' and pushing it, so the
trees are tucked into warm little microclimates in my yard.

Jan at 59N, 151W