Old 22-05-2008, 09:20 PM
Registered User

Default Cucumbers wilted

Hi,

Ive had an awful spring as regards veggies.

I planted out 3 outdoor cucumbers which had been grown from seed in a greenhouse. I let them acclaimatise for a week or so outside before potting them into a large trough. I put some hozelock water retaing mat in the trough as directed on the pack.

The cucs did well for about a week and looked really healthy.
Then one wilted and now another. No discoloration, compost nice and moist.

I think I either over watered them or they got cold/draught.

Ive grown cucs in same pos (different pots) last year with great success.

Any thoughts so I dont kill off the next batch (from a garden centre )?
Old 24-05-2008, 05:07 PM
Registered User

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasdoctor View Post
Hi,

Ive had an awful spring as regards veggies.

I planted out 3 outdoor cucumbers which had been grown from seed in a greenhouse. I let them acclaimatise for a week or so outside before potting them into a large trough. I put some hozelock water retaing mat in the trough as directed on the pack.

The cucs did well for about a week and looked really healthy.
Then one wilted and now another. No discoloration, compost nice and moist.

I think I either over watered them or they got cold/draught.
Ive grown cucs in same pos (different pots) last year with great success.

Any thoughts so I dont kill off the next batch (from a garden centre )?
" gonzo

So when you pulled the corpses out of their pots, what did you have?
If the stem just ended, sep. from the roots, that would be dampened
off, and you killed with too much kindness - over watered. I have
some melons headed that way.

If on the other hand you have a root system attatched to the body,
then I'm stumped. Could be the soil has developed a microbe prob., or
the plants were not healthy to begin with, etc. Too many variables!
Your seedlings should just about dry right out between waterings. Not
desert dry, but dry, so as to not be waterlogged and develop healthy
roots."

Bit of forum modding

The plants were about 4-6" high and the stem didnt look brown etc so i dont think it was dampening off.

The roots were intact and they lifted out whole.
Looks like no.3 is going same way ,this plant is 6" high has 6-8 good sized leaves.

Put in the new ones and placed a board behind the trelis to stop any draught.
If the new ones die then I suspect some soil dwelling menace.

Interestingly my mother-in-laws have done the same (same seed) and the lady in the garden center's.

Ive just noticed one of clematis armandi wilting at a bit at the top (could be clematis wilt) its in an exposed area and the wind today feels cold from the North.

Wilted ginger Wayne Pein North Carolina 0 07-09-2004 09:02 PM
Help, Kyushu Hydrangea plant with wilted leaves Dying ississauga Gardening 3 10-08-2004 05:51 AM
wilted aloe leaves moonpie Gardening 1 10-06-2004 07:02 PM
Help for Wilted Tomato Plants :( Fleemo Gardening 4 03-06-2004 12:02 PM
Magnolia looking Wilted? Dawn Gardening 4 12-05-2004 01:02 AM