Old 22-05-2008, 09:25 PM
Registered User

Default Peas failing to germinate

More veggie probs.

I planted some early peas in my veggie plot (same pos as last year...could be the problem) under cloches in march....one plant grew from 2 5' rows.
This was last years seed, but still in date.

So I replanted with new seed, same again, about 3 plants grew. (no cloche)

Just put more seed in, fingers crossed..

What am I doing wrong, last years peas were great?

Has it been too wet?
Old 24-05-2008, 03:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default Cucumbers wilted

So when you pulled the corpses out of their pots, what did you have?
If the stem just ended, sep. from the roots, that would be dampened
off, and you killed with too much kindness - over watered. I have
some melons headed that way.

If on the other hand you have a root system attatched to the body,
then I'm stumped. Could be the soil has developed a microbe prob., or
the plants were not healthy to begin with, etc. Too many variables!
Your seedlings should just about dry right out between waterings. Not
desert dry, but dry, so as to not be waterlogged and develop healthy
roots.

But this is all just a wild guess - better luck next time!
Old 24-05-2008, 10:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible

In article ,
gasdoctor wrote:

gasdoctor;793682 Wrote:
Hi,

Ive had an awful spring as regards veggies.

I planted out 3 outdoor cucumbers which had been grown from seed in a
greenhouse. I let them acclaimatise for a week or so outside before
potting them into a large trough. I put some hozelock water retaing mat
in the trough as directed on the pack.

The cucs did well for about a week and looked really healthy.
Then one wilted and now another. No discoloration, compost nice and
moist.

I think I either over watered them or they got cold/draught.
Ive grown cucs in same pos (different pots) last year with great
success.

Any thoughts so I dont kill off the next batch (from a garden centre
)?

" gonzo

So when you pulled the corpses out of their pots, what did you have?
If the stem just ended, sep. from the roots, that would be dampened
off, and you killed with too much kindness - over watered. I have
some melons headed that way.

If on the other hand you have a root system attatched to the body,
then I'm stumped. Could be the soil has developed a microbe prob., or
the plants were not healthy to begin with, etc. Too many variables!
Your seedlings should just about dry right out between waterings. Not
desert dry, but dry, so as to not be waterlogged and develop healthy
roots."

Bit of forum modding

The plants were about 4-6" high and the stem didnt look brown etc so i
dont think it was dampening off.

The roots were intact and they lifted out whole.
Looks like no.3 is going same way ,this plant is 6" high has 6-8 good
sized leaves.

Put in the new ones and placed a board behind the trelis to stop any
draught.
If the new ones die then I suspect some soil dwelling menace.

Interestingly my mother-in-laws have done the same (same seed) and the
lady in the garden center's.

Ive just noticed one of clematis armandi wilting at a bit at the top
(could be clematis wilt) its in an exposed area and the wind today
feels cold from the North.

Look at the pictures on
http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/plantsci...rop/pp656w.htm
or
hgic.clemson.edu/pdf/HGIC2206.pdf
--

Billy
Bush Behind Bars
Old 04-06-2008, 10:54 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy[_4_] View Post
In article ,
gasdoctor
wrote:
[color=blue][i]
gasdoctor;793682 Wrote:
[...]

Cheers for the link

I bought some more plants and they wilted aswell.
Its seems to be some kinda fungal infection from a damp spring possibly bacterial.

Ill give it one more go with new plants and soil and regular insecticide/fungicide spraying.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible

Default CUKES - WAS Peas failing to germinate

gasdoctor wrote:

I bought some more plants and they wilted aswell.
Its seems to be some kinda fungal infection from a damp spring
possibly bacterial.

Ill give it one more go with new plants and soil and regular
insecticide/fungicide spraying.

Why are you buying plants? Cuke seed are up in 3 or 4 days when
planted in warm soil. A packet of seed for a buck, planted 6 or 8 to
the hill gives plenty of plants to cull from when the 3 set of leaves
appear. I leave 3 plants to the hill.

Tom J

Old 16-06-2008, 08:14 AM
Registered User

Location: ipswich
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasdoctor View Post
More veggie probs.

I planted some early peas in my veggie plot (same pos as last year...could be the problem) under cloches in march....one plant grew from 2 5' rows.
This was last years seed, but still in date.

So I replanted with new seed, same again, about 3 plants grew. (no cloche)

Just put more seed in, fingers crossed..

What am I doing wrong, last years peas were great?

Has it been too wet?

You should pregerminate your peas in a tray,two layers of wet kitchen roll.
Keep damp,in light ,until peas shoot ,then plant out. Water in with weak mix of jays fluid, this keeps beasties away.
Old 19-06-2008, 01:33 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew pearce View Post
You should pregerminate your peas in a tray,two layers of wet kitchen roll.
Keep damp,in light ,until peas shoot ,then plant out. Water in with weak mix of jays fluid, this keeps beasties away.
Cheers, that sounds a good idea, will give it a go.
Old 19-06-2008, 01:35 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom J View Post
gasdoctor wrote:

I bought some more plants and they wilted aswell.
Its seems to be some kinda fungal infection from a damp spring
possibly bacterial.

Ill give it one more go with new plants and soil and regular
insecticide/fungicide spraying.

Why are you buying plants? Cuke seed are up in 3 or 4 days when
planted in warm soil. A packet of seed for a buck, planted 6 or 8 to
the hill gives plenty of plants to cull from when the 3 set of leaves
appear. I leave 3 plants to the hill.

Tom J
The originals were seed, had about 10 plants in the greenhouse. if i plant seed now they wont develope in time, so buying plants also wanted to see if it was a seed problem.