GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Carrot question? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/edible-gardening/175030-carrot-question.html)

Freedom_Spark 25-05-2008 11:37 PM

Carrot question?

Hi again all, just a quick question about carrots & how long they usually take to grow. It must be about a month since mine were planted & the heads were starting to look alot bigger, I decided they should probably be thinned out but when I moved a few there was no sign of a carrot underneath there was alot of healthy roots & a slightly thicker (still quite small) root connected to the head. What stage should my carrots be at, at this point? Im beggining to think they're not going to work out.

Puckdropper[_2_] 26-05-2008 01:23 AM

Carrot question?

Freedom_Spark wrote in
:

Hi again all, just a quick question about carrots & how long they
usually take to grow. It must be about a month since mine were planted
& the heads were starting to look alot bigger, I decided they should
probably be thinned out but when I moved a few there was no sign of a
carrot underneath there was alot of healthy roots & a slightly thicker
(still quite small) root connected to the head. What stage should my
carrots be at, at this point? Im beggining to think they're not going
to work out.

That sounds just about right to me. Carrots are a fairly slow growing
plant. Bigger carrots (at least in the variety I planted) have more
greens attached to the central root, so by the time they're ready to
harvest you've got a vase-full of greens.

FYI, they're also biennials. That means they'll take two years to
produce new seeds.

Puckdropper

Freedom_Spark 26-05-2008 05:57 PM

Quote:

That sounds just about right to me. Carrots are a fairly slow growing plant. Bigger carrots (at least in the variety I planted) have more
greens attached to the central root, so by the time they're ready to
harvest you've got a vase-full of greens.
Thanks that's reassuring!